Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best meets my criteria?
Cleveland 20 35.09%
Madison, WI 37 64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I was referring to natural beauty. As far as man-made beauty, there's no question Cleveland wins out. Our architecture is among the best in the country, unparalleled by Madison.
The capitol building in Madison might have something to say about that... There is some SERIOUS nastiness in Cleveland that needs to be cleaned up as well.

Cleveland is situated on a great lake... Which is nice and all... But the heart of Madison is tucked between two gorgeous medium sized lakes that has abundant access points. Big enough for Marinas, but small enough for good fishing and relaxation as well.

The four pics of Cleveland are quite underwhelming that were posted on this thread. Is a highlight of Cleveland seriously a pic of some ice forming? Or a pic of a kayak featuring barren shorelines meeting up with a hazy, underwhelming skyline?

Yippie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM

223 posts, read 314,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
The four pics of Cleveland are quite underwhelming that were posted on this thread. Is a highlight of Cleveland seriously a pic of some ice forming? Or a pic of a kayak featuring barren shorelines meeting up with a hazy, underwhelming skyline?

Yippie...
I thought the images weren't bad; the first image was especially nice.

Does anyone have nice pictures of Madison that show off the nature outside of the city? A big thing with me is that I want to live in an area that's generally forested, and the area around Madison strikes me as more farmland than forest.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:20 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
City of Madison, on the isthmus between several large lakes:

Devil's Lake, 30 miles from Madison:

Lodi, with Lake Wisconsin in the background, just north of town:

Wisconsin Dells, 40 miles away:

Baraboo Range, just north of town:

One of the many gorges and canyons in the area (Pewit's Nest, 30 miles away):

Just west of town is the Driftless, maybe the most beautiful area of the Midwest. It goes on for hundreds of miles, and is the size of a small eastern state. Here is where the hills start to grow, with a view of the state capital in the distance:

There is beautiful nature right outside Madison - I could show Driftless shots all day, or the 100 miles of sand and cliffs along the S Wisconsin River, etc. Cleveland is a real city, and Madison is not; however, there is much better nature just outside Madison than near Cleveland.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 AM

170 posts, read 235,046 times
Gosh these photos are so beautiful. I wish I could afford Madison because I think I might be there in a flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post

Yippie...
I thought they were pretty breathtaking. Some people find winter realities very beautiful. I'd be equally awed with a Madison winter photo of snow or ice. Furthermore, a huge lake on which to kayak is a pretty great selling point. Show me a picture of kayakers on the lakes surrounding Madison and it would equally tick off some boxes. I just think you're being unfair here.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
City of Madison, on the isthmus between several large lakes:

Devil's Lake, 30 miles from Madison:

Lodi, with Lake Wisconsin in the background, just north of town:

Wisconsin Dells, 40 miles away:

Baraboo Range, just north of town:

One of the many gorges and canyons in the area (Pewit's Nest, 30 miles away):

Just west of town is the Driftless, maybe the most beautiful area of the Midwest. It goes on for hundreds of miles, and is the size of a small eastern state. Here is where the hills start to grow, with a view of the state capital in the distance:

There is beautiful nature right outside Madison - I could show Driftless shots all day, or the 100 miles of sand and cliffs along the S Wisconsin River, etc. Cleveland is a real city, and Madison is not; however, there is much better nature just outside Madison than near Cleveland.

So funny you are posting this, because I was having a conversation at a neighbors' party last night with another neighbor from Michigan originally and he was praising the area around Madison-Devil's Lake, house on a rock, some auto body shop sculptor near the lake, the dunes that go on forever.

Anyway, I think my next roadtrip will be to Wisconsin! I'd like to stop in Cleveland too as the last time I was there was in high school circa 2004. Seemed like a pretty cool city back then but it seems to have gotten some new energy since.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
So funny you are posting this, because I was having a conversation at a neighbors' party last night with another neighbor from Michigan originally and he was praising the area around Madison-Devil's Lake, house on a rock, some auto body shop sculptor near the lake, the dunes that go on forever.

Anyway, I think my next roadtrip will be to Wisconsin! I'd like to stop in Cleveland too as the last time I was there was in high school circa 2004. Seemed like a pretty cool city back then but it seems to have gotten some new energy since.
I like Cleveland quite a bit, and it's a better (or at least REAL) city than Madison, if we're talking about actual urbanity. But yeah, the area around Madison is very beautiful.

House on the Rock is like nowhere on earth, and I highly recommend it. Tourist trap, but worth the $. The "sculptor" is "Dr Evermore," who contributed works to House on the Rock, museums around the country and Forevertron (which contains the world's largest scrap sculptures and odd steampunk-before-steampunk backstories). Also worth the trip, just south of Baraboo. The "dunes that go forever" is probably the 100 miles of sand along the Wisconsin River from the Dells (where the river is framed by cliffs seen above) to the Mississippi River. You can canoe (or whatever) down the WI and just pick out your own sand island to camp and build a fire on (there's also a nude beach along the way, if you're into that):

Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 AM

95 posts, read 204,220 times
Did you take these photos cheese plate? They're fantastic. I'm trying to figure out where that last one is with the capitol dome in the distance. Maybe along or off of Highway 12 in western Dane County? Or maybe from on top of Blue Mounds?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean33 View Post
Did you take these photos cheese plate? They're fantastic. I'm trying to figure out where that last one is with the capitol dome in the distance. Maybe along or off of Highway 12 in western Dane County? Or maybe from on top of Blue Mounds?
Didn't take them (ssshhhh!), definitely not from Blue Mound, but I'm sure it's on the west(ish) side of the city due to the landscape. So western Dane Co would be my guess. Was just up the Blue Mound tower earlier this winter, cold but a very nice view.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Yeah, I'll give you that the driftless region, and the rock formations around the Dells are pretty cool. However, those aren't right in the Madison metro area, whereas the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and Lake Erie are in Cleveland's. Also, metro Cleveland (AKA the Forest City) has some of the most lush deciduous forests in the country, along with spectacular shale cliffs, and wild and scenic rivers. If we're going to include nearby sites outside of the metro area, you might as well include the Allegheny Mountains and the Allegheny National Forest, for Cleveland.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yeah, I'll give you that the driftless region, and the rock formations around the Dells are pretty cool. However, those aren't right in the Madison metro area, whereas the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and Lake Erie are in Cleveland's. Also, metro Cleveland (AKA the Forest City) has some of the most lush deciduous forests in the country, along with spectacular shale cliffs, and wild and scenic rivers. If we're going to include nearby sites outside of the metro area, you might as well include the Allegheny Mountains and the Allegheny National Forest, for Cleveland.
Allegheny National Forest is almost 3 hours away from Cleveland, LOL! I included all stuff within 45 minutes of town, many places less than that. I believe every picture except the Dells (just outside) is in the Madison MSA. I included miles on most, and the ones that I didn't were the ones under 30 miles. Further, the very first picture shows Madison itself, surrounded and immersed in several large lakes. Cuyahoga Park isn't in the city limits, either. Because of the very noticeable difference in traffic due to Cleveland being a large city and Madison a small one, if you live right downtown in Madison you can get to several of these faster than you can if you live right downtown in Cleveland and want to go to Cuyahoga. Not only that, the area more quickly becomes depopulated wilderness, especially west of Madison, whereas there are still a ton of people in the general Cleveland area.

Look, I vote Cleveland as a city; The Madison area is far more scenic, however, and I don't believe it's even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City