Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Actually NoVa is a lot more diverse. We have a more prominent Asian population and especially Hispanic. Like I said the Atlanta region is more black and white compared to NoVa.
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Gwinnett County is also home to the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S.

Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

http://www.gnfcc.com/demographics

Old 02-15-2015, 11:39 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We're not talking about the Atlanta region as a whole, just the Northern suburbs which are more diverse than the rest of the metro. Gwinnett County by itself is one of the most diverse counties you can find anywhere, for instance.
I thought this thread said "Suburban Atlanta". Not NoVa vs. Northern Atlanta suburbs. Although Gwinnett is diverse its still not in the likes of Fairfax county.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
The Atlanta metro actually is quite diverse. Koreans and Mexicans, and with their own areas catering to each with signs in their own language. Passing through Gwinnett County I saw a lot, and these weren't little, inconsequential areas either you knew you were in an ethnic area.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Gwinnett County is also home to the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S.

Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I'm talking about the whole region. Not just Gwinnett..... I'm aware it's diverse. Although that's one county of the many in the Atlanta burbs.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
I thought this thread said "Suburban Atlanta". Not NoVa vs. Northern Atlanta suburbs. Although Gwinnett is diverse its still not in the likes of Fairfax county.
No one else has addressed it, but we got off to the idea that Northern Atlanta suburbs were more varied and more diverse, with greater density, than other Atlanta suburbs early on in the thread. If you know about the rest of metropolitan Atlanta feel free to add your own two cents.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
I suppose you can find a few similarities between the two, but I wouldn't say they're that similar. Northern Virginia doesn't feel like the South, at least in my opinion. You seem to get the "we're heading up north" vibe around NOVA. On the contrary, I never forget I'm in the South whenever I'm around Atlanta. Atlanta is much more similar to Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Birmingham, and Austin. NOVA probably has more in common with metros further north.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the whole region. Not just Gwinnett..... I'm aware it's diverse. Although that's one county of the many in the Atlanta burbs.
It's also a large County, likely to hit 1 million in the next census. If you are attempting to compare all of suburban Atlanta with over 5 million people to NoVa, then it isn't a fair comparison for NoVa - at all.

The Northern Counties of Gwinnett, North Fulton & Cobb is a fair comparison to NoVa in population and setup. This is the area of Metro Atlanta that most closely resembles NoVa.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Well, then it isn't a fair comparison. Suburban Atlanta has over 5 million people. The Northern Counties of Gwinnett, North Fulton & Cobb is a fair comparison to NoVa in population and setup. This is the area of Metro Atlanta that most closely resembles NoVa.
Ohhhhhh ok. When I made that comment though I was talking about the whole region. Which is a better comparison because NoVa is a region opposed to a couple of counties like Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb. If we wanted to pick the most diverse counties and match them together that we would be an equal comparison. Although this thread was originally about the region.

Fairfax county already surpassed 1 million people. Also this isn't a fair comparison, if we want to compare the Atlanta burbs to NoVa you have to include the Maryland side as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Ohhhhhh ok. When I made that comment though I was talking about the whole region. Which is a better comparison because NoVa is a region opposed to a couple of counties like Gwinnett, North Fulton, and Cobb. If we wanted to pick the most diverse counties and match them together that we would be an equal comparison. Although this thread was originally about the region.
Okay. Well, how much of NoVa are you including? I was assuming it was just the metro D.C. portion.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Okay. Well, how much of NoVa are you including? I was assuming it was just the metro D.C. portion.
Fairfax County, Arlington County, Prince William County, and Loudoun County. I was including on the DC metro portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City