Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
PG county with a little more Caucasians. Nothing in NoVa.
PG is hardly a blanket case when it comes to simply being just "black and white". It's a county who's Black population is not just primarily African American, but it's not uncommon to see Africans (Nigerians, Ghanians, Sierra Leoneans, Kenyans, Senegalese, Ethiopians, Tanzanians, Cameroonians, etc.), West Indians/Afro-Caribbeans (most especially Jamaicans and Haitians), and Mixed Blacks. The Black population is pretty diverse here in PG, and I'm sure some of Atlanta's eastern and southern suburbs are the same way.

As for the White population, it has been steadily decreasing since the 2000 census (lots of long-timers of Irish, English, Jewish, and German ethnicity), however, it has started to climb back up since the 2013 census.

But the Asian, Latino, and Bi/Multiracial populations have increased in the county, especially the Latino population. I don't know how diverse ATL's suburban Latino population is (Imma guess mainly Mexican with some Brazilians and Puerto Ricans), but the Hispanic population in PG is quite ethnically diverse itself (not just the large number of Salvadorians, but also Hondurans, Guatemalans, Peruvians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, etc.). Plus, there's a fairly decent number of Vietnamese, Filipinos, Indians, and Koreans living in the county as well.

It seems like if there's one thing that DC's and ATL's eastern and southern suburbs have in common, it's that they tend to be under-appreciated when their diversity are being called into question.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
I thought this thread said "Suburban Atlanta". Not NoVa vs. Northern Atlanta suburbs. Although Gwinnett is diverse its still not in the likes of Fairfax county.
You may want to reconsider your pre-conceived notions here, as Gwinnett is far more diverse and less white than Fairfax:

Fairfax County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Gwinnett County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The old "Metro Atlanta is only black and white" meme is just that, old.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I thought this thread said "Suburban Atlanta". Not NoVa vs. Northern Atlanta suburbs. Although Gwinnett is diverse its still not in the likes of Fairfax county.
For an apples-to-apples comparison, the northern Atlanta suburbs would be more appropriate to compare to NOVA, which is just one-half of suburban DC.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
PG is hardly a blanket case when it comes to simply being just "black and white". It's a county who's Black population is not just primarily African American, but it's not uncommon to see Africans (Nigerians, Ghanians, Sierra Leoneans, Kenyans, Senegalese, Ethiopians, Tanzanians, Cameroonians, etc.), West Indians/Afro-Caribbeans (most especially Jamaicans and Haitians), and Mixed Blacks. The Black population is pretty diverse here in PG, and I'm sure some of Atlanta's eastern and southern suburbs are the same way.

As for the White population, it has been steadily decreasing since the 2000 census (lots of long-timers of Irish, English, Jewish, and German ethnicity), however, it has started to climb back up since the 2013 census.

But the Asian, Latino, and Bi/Multiracial populations have increased in the county, especially the Latino population. I don't know how diverse ATL's suburban Latino population is (Imma guess mainly Mexican with some Brazilians and Puerto Ricans), but the Hispanic population in PG is quite ethnically diverse itself (not just the large number of Salvadorians, but also Hondurans, Guatemalans, Peruvians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, etc.). Plus, there's a fairly decent number of Vietnamese, Filipinos, Indians, and Koreans living in the county as well.

It seems like if there's one thing that DC's and ATL's eastern and southern suburbs have in common, it's that they tend to be under-appreciated when their diversity are being called into question.
Very true, and your assumptions of Atlanta are accurate. Look up suburban Clarkston in DeKalb County, a major refugee entry point for the U.S.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For an apples-to-apples comparison, the northern Atlanta suburbs would be more appropriate to compare to NOVA, which is just one-half of suburban DC.
This thread wasn't originally about Northern Atlanta suburbs but about the Atlanta suburbs in general. Now we're just cherry picking to make it a fair argument.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
This thread wasn't originally about Northern Atlanta suburbs but about the Atlanta suburbs in general. Now we're just cherry picking to make it a fair argument.
That works both ways, and you have yet to acknowledge that you were way off in your assumptions re: Gwinnett Counties diversity in comparison to Fairfax. You need to retract that statement to preserve your credibility.

And let me ask you again, how are you defining NoVa here for this comparison? If you are including all of suburban Atlanta, that is simply not fair to NoVa. Define your parameters here.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
That works both ways, and you have yet to acknowledge that you were way off in your assumptions re: Gwinnett Counties diversity in comparison to Fairfax. You need to retract that statement to preserve your credibility.

And let me ask you again, how are you defining NoVa here for this comparison? If you are including all of suburban Atlanta, that is simply not fair to NoVa. Define your parameters here.
LOL. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously but yes I was wrong.

Also, I don't understand why you're asking again when I stated what counties I was including in the comparison. I already defined my parameters, you may just not have seen my comment back to you. So I'll say it again, counties Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William and Loudoun. The basic NoVa counties.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
You say that like a fair argument is a bad thing lolol.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
LOL. I think you're taking this a bit too seriously but yes I was wrong.

Also, I don't understand why you're asking again when I stated what counties I was including in the comparison. I already defined my parameters, you may just not have seen my comment back to you. So I'll say it again, counties Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William and Loudoun. The basic NoVa counties.
I'm not taking this any more serious than anyone else, and thank you for your retraction. And sorry, but I didn't see your earlier definition. Cobb, North Fulton & Gwinnett here seem to be a fair comparison to that.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
To be honest I was kind of unimpressed with the northern suburbs of Atlanta, NoVa takes this easily in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City