Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
To be honest I was kind of unimpressed with the northern suburbs of Atlanta, NoVa takes this easily in my opinion
To you, what's more impressive about NOVA?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:23 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To you, what's more impressive about NOVA?
Well NoVa is the wealthiest & is usually the #1 or #2 most educated region in the entire nation, so that says a lot by itself. NoVa also has some of the best public school districts in the US, as well as the #1 high school in the US. The Tysons malls are better than anything in the Atlanta suburbs. NoVa has amazing recreational facilities from hiking the Appalachians to canoeing on the Potomac, as well as the W&OD bike trail which is one of my favorites in the US. NoVa also has a strong tech culture & many people in the area are very up to date with their electronics & know a good amount about technology which is cool. Not to mention DC is better than Atlanta & NoVa benefits from being close to arguably one of the nation's top 5 cities

Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Well NoVa is the wealthiest & is usually the #1 or #2 most educated region in the entire nation, so that says a lot by itself. NoVa also has some of the best public school districts in the US, as well as the #1 high school in the US. The Tysons malls are better than anything in the Atlanta suburbs. NoVa has amazing recreational facilities from hiking the Appalachians to canoeing on the Potomac, as well as the W&OD bike trail which is one of my favorites in the US. NoVa also has a strong tech culture & many people in the area are very up to date with their electronics & know a good amount about technology which is cool. Not to mention DC is better than Atlanta & NoVa benefits from being close to arguably one of the nation's top 5 cities
With very few exceptions, you have just perfectly described Atlanta's Northern suburbs to a T.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
With very few exceptions, you have just perfectly described Atlanta's Northern suburbs to a T.
Except NoVa is still better. not saying they don't have their similarities, & North Atlanta is still a nice region, but it is hard to deny that NoVa is slightly better on almost all accounts except maybe food. I didn't even mention that Northern Virginia as a stronger job market

Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,751 times
Quote:
What are the few exceptions?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
What are the few exceptions?
the only thing I can think of is that Northern Atlanta has good recreation & has a decent tech scene. NoVa also benefits just from being in Virginia, which is the only state, besides California, that has 3 of the nations best public universities in the top 20 best public school list

Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Except NoVa is still better. not saying they don't have their similarities, & North Atlanta is still a nice region, but it is hard to deny that NoVa is slightly better on almost all accounts except maybe food
That is your subjective opinion, and I totally disagree. I consider our quality of life to be far superior, with a much friendlier overall population as an added benefit. Just the normal daily interactions with strangers is MUCH less stressful and confrontational here, with the same level of population. There is a big difference in the quality of life due to this alone. You have way more type A's running amok than we do.

There is absolutely nothing in NoVa that is not available here, at much more affordable prices and in much more pleasant surroundings. But that is just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
That is your subjective opinion, and I totally disagree. I consider our quality of life to be far superior, with a much friendlier overall population as an added benefit. Just the normal daily interactions with strangers is MUCH less stressful and confrontational here, with the same level of population. There is a big difference in the quality of life due to this alone. You have way more type A's running amok than we do.

There is absolutely nothing in NoVa that is not available here, at much more affordable prices and in much more pleasant surroundings. But that is just my opinion.
I hope you realize that prices go up when areas are more desirable. NoVa is more expensive because so many people want to live here, & the reason so many people want to live here is the high QOL. QOL is usually determined by education, jobs, health, & standard of living (income, shopping, luxuries). I am pretty sure NoVa wins on all of these fronts, so you can have your opinion but understand it is a minority opinion

Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I hope you realize that prices go up when areas are more desirable.
No, I didn't realize that. You see, I just fell off the turnip truck from Bucksnort, SC.

Quote:
NoVa is more expensive because so many people want to live here. So you can have your opinion, but understand it is a minority opinion. QOL is usually determined by education, jobs, health, & standard of living (income, shopping, luxuries). I am pretty sure NoVa wins on all of these fronts
I am always amused at the justifications made for paying the outrageous amounts you do for that 'supposed' quality of life. Enjoy, but no thanks.

We have everything we need here, thank you.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:49 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
These are arguably the two metros people always say the Research Triangle is following, either going down a "mini-NOVA" or Atlanta path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.