Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will DC's CSA edge out Chicago's by 2020.
Yes, DC CSA will edge out Chicago 28 33.73%
No, Chicago CSA will still be more populous than DC CSA 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,506,852 times

Advertisements

Looking at US CSA's, the current line up in terms of population is: 1. NYC, 2. LA, 3. Chicago, 4. DC. From 2010 to 2013 DC's CSA rose 4.3% from 9 mil to 9.4 mil, while Chicago's rose .73% from 9.8 mil to 9.9 mil. Do you think by the next census that DC will edge out Chicago to become the #3 US CSA? Or will DC's population growth slow down & not be able to surpass it in the next 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM

2,844 posts, read 4,572,941 times
Doesn't matter, Chicago itself could be considered America's "2nd city" and with DC only gaining 20,000 jobs last year, that doesn't look promising.

Chicago also is a 9 million MSA

Washington is a 6 million MSA.

Which tells the true story instead of CSA.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Doesn't matter, Chicago itself could be considered America's "2nd city" and with DC only gaining 20,000 jobs last year, that doesn't look promising.

Chicago also is a 9 million MSA

Washington is a 6 million MSA.

Which tells the true story instead of CSA.
Is Chicago still considered to be America's second city? I thought LA was America's second city now... In most cases MSA does make more sense, but Baltimore & DC are so close & are so intertwined economically it is hard to try & separate the two from one another. Kind of like trying to separate Dallas & Fort Worth

Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Is Chicago still considered to be America's second city? I thought LA was America's second city now... In most cases MSA does make more sense, but Baltimore & DC are so close & are so intertwined economically it is hard to try & separate the two from one another. Kind of like trying to separate Dallas & Fort Worth

Comprehension my friend. I said "could" be considered America's 2nd city.

Anyway, Dallas-Fort Worth is a MSA not a CSA, I don't define how metro areas are determined. It's not hard to separate Washington-Baltimore because they're separate MSA's anyway.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Comprehension my friend. I said "could" be considered America's 2nd city.

Anyway, Dallas-Fort Worth is a MSA not a CSA, I don't define how metro areas are determined. It's not hard to separate Washington-Baltimore because they're separate MSA's anyway.
Exactly, Dallas Fort Worth is an MSA, even though there is roughly the same distance between Dallas & Fort Worth as there is between DC & Baltimore. I think DC & Baltimore should be combined into one MSA because of how interconnected they are

Old 02-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly, Dallas Fort Worth is an MSA, even though there is roughly the same distance between Dallas & Fort Worth as there is between DC & Baltimore. I think DC & Baltimore should be combined into one MSA because of how interconnected they are

Distance doesn't determine how MSA's are defined either.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,562,761 times
Quote:
These things are based on stats, specifically commuter patterns. When and if the DC-Baltimore CSA reach that threshold, or if the criteria is changed, then it will happen.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 PM

148 posts, read 227,352 times
Quote:

CSA makes sense for the Bay Area, and thats about it. Maybe one other.

The rest of the US, MSA is best.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Distance doesn't determine how MSA's are defined either.
What does determine it is how interconnected the economies are, & DC/Baltimore are still very interconnected. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the OMB decided to consider it an MSA instead of a CSA. Either way, the topic is CSAs not MSAs, so lets get back on topic

Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
What does determine it is how interconnected the economies are, & DC/Baltimore are still very interconnected. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the OMB decided to consider it an MSA instead of a CSA. Either way, the topic is CSAs not MSAs, so lets get back on topic

OK, simple answer "NO DC will not pass Chicago by 2020" and if it does....What does that suppose to mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City