Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will DC's CSA edge out Chicago's by 2020.
Yes, DC CSA will edge out Chicago 28 33.73%
No, Chicago CSA will still be more populous than DC CSA 55 66.27%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

I definitely don't see DC passing Chicago in 2020. That's only 5 years. CSA or whatever. Never going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I definitely don't see DC passing Chicago in 2020. That's only 5 years. CSA or whatever. Never going to happen.
Despite DC's 4% growth between 2010-2013? no studies have been done on the regions growth since mid 2013, & Chicago has had an uptick in crime which might draw people away. It will be close, though I tap don't see DC taking it in 5 years, 10 years is a different story

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
^^^ What does it suppose to mean if DC and Baltimore pass Chicago? That's what I'm trying to figure out?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
^^^ What does it suppose to mean if DC and Baltimore pass Chicago? That's what I'm trying to figure out?
I am not trying to say DC will become America's third city, not at all. The point of the thread wasn't to see which city was better, it was whether to see which will have the larger CSA. It doesn't have to mean anything to you

Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
In terms of the big three...It will always be NYC, LA and Chicago no matter what.

I did state in my first post why it won't pass it. DC's growth has slowed down, the metro area gained 20,000 jobs last year. Seattle, a metro area much smaller than DC had nearly 3x as many jobs added last year.
DC/Balt CSA growth is still much faster than Chicago CSA growth so the inevitable is that it will pass in population yes. The gap has closed to 400,000, between the two CSA's. A one year of job growth slowing due to the sequester is not going to stop the growth of the population and that doesn't even include Baltimore area growth. It may actually pass before 2020, but if not shortly there after. DC is not going anywhere long term no matter how many people want to see it fail. And trust me some day the 4 major CSA's will be NY, LA, DC, SF then Chicago to follow.

I'm speaking only in terms of population by the way Chicago will remain major force as a city.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Despite DC's 4% growth between 2010-2013? no studies have been done on the regions growth since mid 2013, & Chicago has had an uptick in crime which might draw people away. It will be close, though I tap don't see DC taking it in 5 years, 10 years is a different story
Chicago's crime rates have, in general, been continuing their trend downward for decades. D.C. generally has equal or higher crime rates than Chicago, and Baltimore is much, much higher than both. So, if anything, crime would be a bigger problem in driving people away from D.C. or Baltimore. To be clear: I don't think crime is ditacting growth rates in either, but D.C.and Baltimore are clearly not without their huge crime issues, too.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC/Balt CSA growth is still much faster than Chicago CSA growth so the inevitable is that it will pass in population yes. The gap has closed to 400,000, between the two CSA's. A one year of job growth slowing due to the sequester is not going to stop the growth of the population and that doesn't even include Baltimore area growth. It may actually pass before 2020, but if not shortly there after. DC is not going anywhere long term no matter how many people want to see it fail. And trust me some day the 4 major CSA's will be NY, LA, DC, SF then Chicago to follow.
I am honestly surprised that the bay area isn't #3 in the US with how big of a region it is

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Is Chicago still considered to be America's second city? I thought LA was America's second city now... In most cases MSA does make more sense, but Baltimore & DC are so close & are so intertwined economically it is hard to try & separate the two from one another. Kind of like trying to separate Dallas & Fort Worth
I see billboard signs all the time in the Chicago area talking about "Second City". McDonald's has one, saying, "We added a second patty for America's second city". So yes, despite being third largest they hold the second city title even still.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Chicago's crime rates have, in general, been continuing their trend downward for decades. D.C. generally has equal or higher crime rates than Chicago, and Baltimore is much, much higher than both. So, if anything, crime would be a bigger problem in driving people away from D.C. or Baltimore. To be clear: I don't think crime is ditacting growth rates in either, but D.C.and Baltimore are clearly not without their huge crime issues, too.
Chicago has had horrible spikes in murders over the last few years, & I believe it even beat out NYC for the most murders a few years ago. DC has actually gone down over the last 2 decades, & is currently stabalized at 100 murders a year. So your statements aren't entirely true. Baltimore does have a horrendous murder rate, but if people want to leave Baltimore, they move to DC. So the region never really loses population because of this

Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I see billboard signs all the time in the Chicago area talking about "Second City". McDonald's has one, saying, "We added a second patty for America's second city". So yes, despite being third largest they hold the second city title even still.
Most people I know from LA consider it to be America's current second city, despite Chicago being the historical second city. It really just depends on where you are from what you call each city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City