Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger identity?
Boston 77 81.91%
DC 17 18.09%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

Which has more of an identity? By that, I mean people across America, or even the world, have a good idea about the culture of the city and a general idea of what the people in the city may be like (whether that is based on stereotype or not). When people think of New York, for example, they may think of rude and pushy people, fashionistas, or mobsters.

In this comparison, I ask that particular focus be given to the Maryland suburbs in addition to the District itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
This is Boston by a long shot. Not many places have more of an identity than Boston. That accent is one of a kind.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is Boston by a long shot. Not many places have more of an identity than Boston. That accent is one of a kind.
Not really. Boston is known for an accent. But the DC area is known for...

Chuck Brown
Mumbo Sauce
Half Smokes
Hardcore Punk

This is DC culture that flows into Montgomery County.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Chuck Brown
Mumbo Sauce
Half Smokes
Hardcore Punk

Yeah, but that is isolated to a small part of the population in the D.C. area. Most of the people in Boston have the accent. Kind of like, most people in Mississippi have a southern accent. It's not close to as widespread in D.C.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I suppose you could consider that being the capital of the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world is an identity.

(sort of, since I take it this might be a long shot for some)

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM

148 posts, read 228,354 times
I think Boston vs Philadelphia would be closer.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 AM

148 posts, read 228,354 times
I think its obvious that Boston takes this one.

Outside of the federal government, theres nothing really identifiable to DC to the average person. You'd have to try real hard. I know of things, but 90% of people would just equate the DC region to the Feds.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:23 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Chuck Brown
Mumbo Sauce
Half Smokes
Hardcore Punk

Uh...DC was known in the early 80s for the Dischord scene, especially Minor Threat and SOA (Rollins) and the best but little-known DC HC band, Void. By the mid-80s, it was no longer and has not since been known for hardcore. In fact, it's been pretty weak in that area. By '84, it self-labelled the first "emo" bands in Rites of Spring, Embrace and others. 1985 is known as "Revolution Summer" due to the launch of emo in DC, which certainly doesn't sound the same today as it did then, but regardless...Rites of Spring and Minor Threat then came together to form the biggest emo band and DC scene representative for many years, Fugazi.

You see, even those (like you) who claim DC is "known" for hardcore actually don't know the history of the music scene there, let alone its current "identity."

Chuck Brown and go-go are quite noteable and quite local, which is cool and unique; however, most people haven't even heard of go-go, not to mention actually hearing Trouble Funk and so forth.

Boston by one of the biggest cityVcity margins I can remember.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
I think its obvious that Boston takes this one.

Outside of the federal government, theres nothing really identifiable to DC to the average person. You'd have to try real hard. I know of things, but 90% of people would just equate the DC region to the Feds.
Yes, I think that really sums it up. I think DC is one of the extreme examples of a VERY heavy transplant city not being able to identify with an existing local culture, with its own long-standing traditions, vernacular, etc.

I will add, though, that being the seat of the federal government environment does actually create a very unique social culture in DC unto itself, and all of the types of people that attracts.

Let's just say that no one would ever accuse Washingtonians of having low self-esteem or being too modest.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,712 times
Boston hands down. D.C. suffers from three things that makes it have a weak identity on a national and international level.

#1. It's right on the border of north and south, it can come off as generic or General American.
#2. The media only portrays "Washington", and not D.C.
#3. The city is way too transient and transplanted.

Another thing is that the local culture is mainly dominated by African Americans and black people from DC could pass for anywhere in the mid-atlantic, even the country south depending on who you talk to or where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City