Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger identity?
Philadelphia 153 49.51%
Boston 156 50.49%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would say Boston has a bigger Rowing identity the Head of the Charles is on of the Country's great races with debatably the best course in the world in Nearby Worcester.
If you want to Bring in College BBall, College Hockey in Boston by a mile.
Then Boston's reputation as a Running Mecca is at least as large as Phillys for Boxing.
The difference is that Philly's great boxing reputation is actually from Philly natives such as Danny Garcia to Bryant Jennings to Benard Hopkins (to name a few current notables). I dont buy the whole "Boston is a running Mecca" considering most of the notable people (the winners) who participate in the Boston marathon are not from Boston (same with the Philly marathon).

Last edited by nephi215; 03-05-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMotts View Post
I think you misread my comment, as your links have zero to do with why the Celtics and Bruins were middle of the pack to bottom in attendance from the early 00's til their 08 and 11 titles.

Every team raises prices after a championship. You're showing data that doesn't show ticket prices before 08 or 11. If Boston is such an undisputed sports town, why didn't the Celtics or Bruins sell out before 2008 and 2011?
The year leading up to the B's Championship their tickets where ~2 times more expensive than the flyers.
I don't care how passionate you are about a team (especially because sports mania is largely working/middle class) if you don't have $200 dollars to spare, you don't have $200, "passion" does not buy tickets. And for a family of 4 between tickets Transportation and concessions a game will cost like $1,000, and choosing between the heating bill and Bruins tickets, heat wins.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
I'd say Boston. I don't really have any stereotypes or preconceptions about Philly aside from liberty bells and cheese steaks. Boston on the other hand has their accent and a stereotype for being drunk and abrasive, it's probably exaggerated of course.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
What NBA or NHL team (outside of Canada) sells out when they suck?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I agree. Sports is really splitting hairs between these two.

The other day, I learned that one of the world's most powerful leaders has a connection to both of the areas. Benjamin Netanyahu spent a good amount of teenage years in and around Philadelphia, even graduating from Cheltenham High School and going on to college at both MIT and Harvard. He even speaks English with a Philadelphian Accent ha!
Reggie Jackson and The Prez of Israel from Cheltenham HS

Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The difference is that Philly's great boxing reputation is actually from Philly natives such as Danny Garcia to Bryant Jennings to Benard Hopkins (to name a few current notables). I dont buy the whole "Boston is a running Mecca" considering most of the notable people (the winners) who participate in the Boston marathon are not from Boston (same with the Philly marathon).
Philly also has a specific reputation within the sport of boxing. Other places, aside from Mexico and their reputation as Aztec warrior sluggers à la Julio César Chavez, do not. The "Philadelphia Fighter" means something whereas the "Chicago Fighter" does not.

Quote:
As the crumbling fighter reached his feet, referee Bill Paige came in at the eight-count to check on Harding. He asked the required, "Can you continue, are you OK?" Harding's response was perfect.

"I'm from Philadelphia!" he snapped.

Here was a man beaten down. Here was a man on the verge of being pronounced a knockout victim, and "I'm from Philadelphia" was his response.
Boxing Never mind the rest, Philly is the best - ESPN

Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Reggie Jackson and The Prez of Israel from Cheltenham HS
Reggie "Mr. October" Jackson actually was classmates with Yoni Netanyahu. Yoni was Benjamin's older brother, and was KIA in Uganda nearly 40 years ago.

Just browsing the internet I found this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...cho#.rvYlB3oMP

Again Philly and Boston have that super connection to old money and power that just does not exist in many parts of the world..

Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
I grew up in the Northeast and never once thought of drunk and abrasive for Boston. That's actually Philadelphia or Chicago.
New day, new screen name eh? I will say, I admire the perseverance.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
But doesn't Boston have better paying jobs than Philadelphia? Surely, all those good jobs there, you can all afford it.

Not buying it, bo. Boston didn't sell out for the Celtics or Bruins before their respective championships. So much for being the undisputed best sports town, eh?
The Red Sox have the longest Sellout streak in all of sports.
Once again Price matters, Phildelphians don't value their teams enough for even the average ticket to be more than about 1/2 of Boston's (Cels, aha, Sox are all ~Double Philly counterparts), Phillys teams don't charge the money because no one would pay it. Supply-Demand 90% at $200 is more money than 100% at $100 Phillys market is saturated at a much lower price so therefore there is less demand.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
I

I disagree. They both have the big four sports teams, and the Phillies are the oldest sports franchise in the country.

Philly has bigger rowing, college basketball (big 5), and definitely boxing and its not even close.

Fenway is only a mecca in New England. Yankee Stadium was the mecca of baseball. Fenway and Wrigley come tied for 2nd.
Yankee Stadium is a mecca of baseball, its only six years old. Maybe the old Yankees stadium was, what a joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City