Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger identity?
Philadelphia 153 49.51%
Boston 156 50.49%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:47 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
If people are nasty in Boston, well, "life is tough in Southie." But if people are nasty in Philadelphia, it's because they are "classless." You must work in the national sports media.
They both have their fair share of classless little sh*ts, but Philadelphia Embraces them, while Boston try's to shames them.
You're a fool plain and simple if you get into a fight over a damn game played by a bunch of people you don't know. Do you think they would so much as lift a finger for you?
If you measure a fan base by hooliganism you're measuring the collective intelligence, not the passion of a fan base.
Boston for example, named 1/2 of a spur of a US Route under Boston Harbor after Charles Sumner, a highly polarizing Senator during the Run up to the Civil war, They named the entire I-90 tunnel after Ted Williams, before all the championships.

Last edited by btownboss4; 03-07-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:56 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Moving beyond sports, Boston has a more definite image politically. Massachusetts (or Boston) Liberal/moderate has been the hallmark Rightwing insult to anyone of Prominace from Massachusetts signifying aloofness and a too liberal identity (whether it be Romney, Dukakis, Kerry, or any speek of a Warren Run)
Harvard Elite is also almost cliche at this point.
I can't think of equivocal or even somewhat comparable Philly references due to it being a more moderate city. Although some Philly poster will probably reply with some wierd Joe Biden Quote.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That shows Phiily is full of classless little sh*ts (like Montreal), not passionate fans. just cause other towns have have respect and decency doesn't mean they don't love their teams.
What you think is beside the point. The point is that Philly sports fans have a reputation that everyone knows about.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
I can't think of equivocal or even somewhat comparable Philly references due to it being a more moderate city. Although some Philly poster will probably reply with some wierd Joe Biden Quote.

Few people would describe Philly as a politically moderate city--it is one of the most reliably Democratic/liberal in the US. It also has its own very distinct and wild political history, so I think on a city level that comparison is moot.

On a state level, I will definitely agree though that Massachusetts has a more distinct political image compared to Pennsylvania (as much as the "battleground states" are in the spotlight, it has become a reliably center-left state in national elections), but that's not the focus of this thread.

PS--Joe Biden is associated with Scranton and Delaware.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
You're a fool plain and simple if you get into a fight over a damn game played by a bunch of people you don't know.
Yes.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Irish potato candy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does Boston have its own traditional irish food? I grew up eating these not knowing we were the only ones eating them.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Boston's Irish heritage on full display last night at Logan Airport, as local band Dropkick Murphys hold an impromptu concert prior to boarding their flight to Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km3mVNrBm3A

Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Irish potato candy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does Boston have its own traditional irish food? I grew up eating these not knowing we were the only ones eating them.
Hah-interesting. I knew Irish potatoes were not from Ireland, but didn't realize they were specific to Philly.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Boston has a "brand" across just about any spectrum of discussion, while Philly does not. Me saying that has nothing to do with my personal feelings for either city, because it could very well be that I don't like the Boston "brand", but Boston evokes things while Philly does not.

The only 2 things I can think of consistently whenever the word "Philadelphia" enters my mind are cheesesteaks and cream cheese. People always talk about a Philly accent - I have a lot of family from Philadelphia and I don't even know what the Philadelphia (or Baltimore) accent is. Rocky? It's a has been movie - it doesn't conjure up Philadelphia so much for me and it's not in my psyche. I think of National Treasure more when I think of Philly and that movie also brings you to Boston. I also think of the movie "Philadelphia" more than I think of Rocky, or oddly enough, Trading Place. Maybe Wawa.

I don't think there's any reason for this poll to be close, and it's not.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Rocky? It's a has been movie - it doesn't conjure up Philadelphia so much for me and it's not in my psyche. I think of National Treasure more when I think of Philly and that movie also brings you to Boston. I also think of the movie "Philadelphia" more than I think of Rocky, or oddly enough, Trading Place. Maybe Wawa.
Rocky is probably one of the most looped movies in the history of television.

Quote:
As long as there is television, these six films will loop eternally on cable marathons. Rocky may have had a larger impact on pop culture than any other film, inspiring references in everything from movies to television, music to video games.
http://thefilmspectrum.com/?p=7737#C14

In terms of movies that are going to be showed multiple times a year on multiple networks, it ranks right up there with the Godfather Trilogy, Gone With The Wind, the Terminator, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Austin Powers, Mrs. Doubtfire, etc. I would say the Fast and Furious series is getting on that level too though it doesn't have the cultural penetration of any of those movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City