Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for a young, urban professional: Phoenix or Denver?
Phoenix 4 36.36%
Denver 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM

403 posts, read 597,908 times

Advertisements

Between Denver and Phoenix which of the two would be a better city for a young, single, urban professional?
Which city has better public transportation?
Which city has better nightlife?
What city has better job opportunities for a young professional?
What city has a better dating scene for young professional?
What city is it easier to make friends with other young professionals in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
1. Neither are going to be like NYC or whatever, you'll be driving in both.

2. No idea.

3. It depends on your field. You're a young professional, what? Banker, lawyer, wrestler?

4. Very subjective.

5. Very subjective.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
1. Neither are going to be like NYC or whatever, you'll be driving in both.

2. No idea.

3. It depends on your field. You're a young professional, what? Banker, lawyer, wrestler?

4. Very subjective.

5. Very subjective.
So you really would need to have a car in both cities?

Professional businesswoman for me, but I kind of meant in general.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
So you really would need to have a car in both cities?

Professional businesswoman for me, but I kind of meant in general.
My friend is an accountant (26 years old). She lives near and works in downtown Denver. She has a car, but mostly takes public transportation, as she sees it too much of hassle to drive. You can go in Denver without a car, but unlike cities out east, you would probably feel stuck in that small urban bubble. Same for Phoenix. Albeit, I rather be in Denver without a car than in Phoenix. Also, downtown Denver > downtown Phoenix any day.

Having that said, there is more to those metros than their downtown areas.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
My friend is an accountant (26 years old). She lives near and works in downtown Denver. She has a car, but mostly takes public transportation, as she sees it too much of hassle to drive. You can go in Denver without a car, but unlike cities out east, you would probably feel stuck in that small urban bubble. Same for Phoenix. Albeit, I rather be in Denver without a car than in Phoenix. Also, downtown Denver > downtown Phoenix any day.

Having that said, there is more to those metros than their downtown areas.
Exactly. Denver is a huge spread out place. "Denver" as we know it is really a bunch of little cities + downtown.

They have a few cute little trains, but you can probably access 5% of the Denver Area from them.

Phoenix is pretty much the same.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Exactly. Denver is a huge spread out place. "Denver" as we know it is really a bunch of little cities + downtown.

They have a few cute little trains, but you can probably access 5% of the Denver Area from them.

Phoenix is pretty much the same.
That's a shame.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Out of all the major cities in the US, Phoenix easily has the hottest summertime temperatures... Going without a car and relying on public transportation is cute and all... But you would seriously regret that decision in the summer.
In Phoenix... Urban/Suburban/whatever... You want a car.

Denver... Like other posters have mentioned... Is spread out and only has a so-so public trans system.
I think not owning a car in Denver would be extremely frustrating as well because Denver, the city itself... Is actually quite flat. The fun places to explore are the ones SURROUNDING Denver... And if you didn't have your own wheels, you would be stripping away one of the best perks of that area... The parks, hiking, trails, views...

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
In pretty much every US city you can survive without a car.

The question is not can you survive, but is it a big hassle to do so, and how negatively it impacts your life. In most US cities, having a car will improve your QOL. There are exceptions to that rule, Manhattan is one. Unless you're rich, a car will only decrease your QOL.

Anyways rather take PT in a Phoenix midday summer than a Denver winter morning.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM

267 posts, read 303,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In pretty much every US city you can survive without a car.
Survive? Yes. Comfortably? No.

To the OP, if you don't mind snowy winters then I'd go with Denver.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Survive? Yes. Comfortably? No.
Exactly what I said. Just pointing it out to people who give examples of people without cars in their respective cities. I can give many such examples in a wide variety of cities including inner city Detroit.

Moving along, neither Denver or Phoenix are PT cities. They are both car cities. And there is no need to pretend opposite, get a car. If PT is a must, both Denver and Phoenix are not for you. And marginal value one adds over the other in this regard is really too marginal to put into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City