Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 AM

267 posts, read 303,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
If you can't find anything to do out here in Phoenix, that's on you, not Phoenix.
Yes, because we all know what a hotspot Phoenix is for family vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Yes, because we all know what a hotspot Phoenix is for family vacations.
??? Why are we talking about family vacations? OP wants to go to law school, not Disney World.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
??? Why are we talking about family vacations? OP wants to go to law school, not Disney World.
My point was, that there's nothing to do in Phoenix. No one, but no one goes to Phoenix for the hell of it. If there were interesting and fun things to do here, that wouldn't be the case, now would it?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,906 times
Quote:
My point was, that there's nothing to do in Phoenix. No one, but no one goes to Phoenix for the hell of it. If there were interesting and fun things to do here, that wouldn't be the case, now would it?
I agree that there's nothing overly extravagant in Phoenix, like a Disneyland or SeaWorld. But in terms of day-to-day life, how many times are you doing those kind of things a year? Who goes to Atlanta, Minneapolis, Baltimore, St. Louis, etc. for the "hell of it"? Again, there's a ton of stuff to do in Phoenix. Hiking, golf, concerts, sports...that's just off the top of my head. Nightlife in Tempe and Scottsdale. Snow sports in Flagstaff.

No one should be moving anywhere for the hell of it. Its nice to have fun things to do, but how are you gonna do any of it with no money or job?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I agree that there's nothing overly extravagant in Phoenix, like a Disneyland or SeaWorld. But in terms of day-to-day life, how many times are you doing those kind of things a year? Who goes to Atlanta, Minneapolis, Baltimore, St. Louis, etc. for the "hell of it"? Again, there's a ton of stuff to do in Phoenix. Hiking, golf, concerts, sports...that's just off the top of my head. Nightlife in Tempe and Scottsdale. Snow sports in Flagstaff.

No one should be moving anywhere for the hell of it. Its nice to have fun things to do, but how are you gonna do any of it with no money or job?
The adult entertainment and massage places are also lacking in Phoenix. Golf is the only aspect of Phoenix that I have found to be well above average.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 PM

352 posts, read 569,884 times
Quote:
Funny, I said the same thing until I left AZ and moved to Dallas...which has some things to do, but as an outdoorsy person, I can now appreciate Arizona much more now. Within a 5 hour drive of Phoenix, you have Las Vegas, California, Puerto Penasco, Sedona, Flag. Also, direct flights to Hawaii. The Cactus League spring training, resorts and yes, as you stated, the Golf is excellent.

Within a 5 hour drive of Dallas, your best bet (especially for scenery) is Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country, Hot Springs, Ark and Oklahoma City. The nearest beach (4.5 hours) to Galveston is not worth the drive, and a nicer beach is nearly 7 hours away or drive 12 hours to Florida.

So, I can understand your point however, comparatively speaking, though Dallas has the strong economy, I'd wouldn't hesitate to head back west for the southwest lifestyle. Its all about where you feel the most comfortable.

For the OP, Phoenix has the unique scenery however Austin has the energy and vibrancy that would serve as a good experience for 3 years. I wish the OP the best on either location.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 PM

389 posts, read 595,804 times
My brother lives in Austin and my parents in Phoenix. I lived in Phoenix and although I have never lived in Austin, I would choose it over Phoenix in a heartbeat. And truth be told, I can't even begin to explain all the reasons.

Austin is the more progressive of the two, as well as more diverse. In addition, Austin is more urban and has a better downtown area than Phoenix.

I would prefer the weather in Austin over Phoenix. Although I prefer warm to cold in general, the summers in Phoenix were much too hot. Austin's summers may be no cakewalk with their humidity, but nothing can compare to the scorching desert heat of Phoenix. Turn on the news in the summer time and you hear about people dying of heat exhaustion.

The Phoenix metro area is laid out in a giant grid. While this makes getting from Point A to Point B quite simple, it makes for a very generic feel. Every square mile is full of cheap tract housing with commercial development at major intersections. And everything is brown. Austin offers a lot more character, even if the road/freeway system is not as nice as Phoenix's.

When I was living in Phoenix, I had visited my brother in Austin. After being in the Sonoran Desert for so long (a region known for beauty), I was overwhelmed by how gorgeous the Texas Hill Country was. I had grown so used to seeing brown, brown, and more brown, that a little green felt good to the eye. I prefer oak trees, rivers, and bluebonnets, to cacti, xeriscaping, and endless sun.

Last but not least, the food scene in Austin blows Phoenix's away.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
My brother lives in Austin and my parents in Phoenix. I lived in Phoenix and although I have never lived in Austin, I would choose it over Phoenix in a heartbeat. And truth be told, I can't even begin to explain all the reasons.

Austin is the more progressive of the two, as well as more diverse. In addition, Austin is more urban and has a better downtown area than Phoenix.

I would prefer the weather in Austin over Phoenix. Although I prefer warm to cold in general, the summers in Phoenix were much too hot. Austin's summers may be no cakewalk with their humidity, but nothing can compare to the scorching desert heat of Phoenix. Turn on the news in the summer time and you hear about people dying of heat exhaustion.

The Phoenix metro area is laid out in a giant grid. While this makes getting from Point A to Point B quite simple, it makes for a very generic feel. Every square mile is full of cheap tract housing with commercial development at major intersections. And everything is brown. Austin offers a lot more character, even if the road/freeway system is not as nice as Phoenix's.

When I was living in Phoenix, I had visited my brother in Austin. After being in the Sonoran Desert for so long (a region known for beauty), I was overwhelmed by how gorgeous the Texas Hill Country was. I had grown so used to seeing brown, brown, and more brown, that a little green felt good to the eye. I prefer oak trees, rivers, and bluebonnets, to cacti, xeriscaping, and endless sun.

Austin's food scene is ridiculously good I agree and it has great nightlife for that can match any city in the USA. I didn't like Vegas or South Beach nightlife, people tried to hard to fit in with the super rich or the rest of the nightclubs were flashy, Austin is very welcoming and friendly place, one of the few US Cities where you can move to a place and meet people to go that night, women are super friendly and welcoming in Austin I was shocked by it.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:04 AM

352 posts, read 569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Yes, Austin food choices are excellent; The BBQ selection is serious business.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Sorry, mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City