Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd228 View Post
Hi All,
I have job interviews for both Nashville and Houston. I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on which of these places will be more suited for me. Here is a bit of background: I am an elementary teacher, I play soccer and tennis, enjoy outdoorsy activities like hiking and kayaking. I also like plays, going to concerts and listening to live music. I have traveled a lot and lived overseas so am looking for a diverse crowd. I am coming from Atlanta where the dating scene was pretty bleak for me because of the high number of women to men ratio. I am open to other races but just didn't seem too feasible in Atlanta..for me. I would like to avoid going to a place where the options for dating is nonexistent for my age group. Would love if some of you can share your experiences in either places. Thanks so much!
I don’t know anything about Nashville. But, I've spent time in Houston and even considered moving there. The area is huge. It will take some time adjusting to all the unique neighborhoods. I love the Montrose, Rice Village & Upper Kirby areas, but the price tag is higher. If outdoorsy activities are important to you, Houston may be abit intolerable in the summer, but you'll adjust. Also, if your hair is natural, your fro won't act right in Houston due to the humidity lol. The weather was a huge negative for me.

The dating prospects are good as there’s plenty men there of different race, backgrounds etc. Also, there’s a good variety of nightlife options. The problem though is that people in Houston tend to live outside of the loop (suburbs) because it tends to be cheaper housing. That in itself poses some challenges for socializing. The area is very car dependent and all the driving gets old wreaking havoc on my social life. I chose to move to a more urban area with transit options so I can ditch the car. Other than the traffic, the weather and the sprawly nature, I think Houston is an ok place to live.

I strongly recommend living in the loop at first and branch out from there. One caveat though, Houston gets compared to Atlanta a lot. So, if Atlanta didn’t meet your expectations, just know there may be similarities that you may or may not like. I’ve spent time in Atlanta as well. And while I don’t feel the cities are comparable in no way, those who have spent more time in both cites probably know more about that than I do.

Last edited by lovely40; 03-05-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What are you telling the truth about?

She wasn't feeling Atlanta. Don't talk down on Houston so she can choose Nashville.
LOL, okay?!? Nashville JUST started surpassing Memphis a few years ago, and is still trying very hard to get to Atlanta's level, the city she said she wasn't feeling. So why would she want to go there?!? Nashville still has a looooong way to go before it can compete with Houston in any category.

Quote:
And what Mentallect meant is going from Atlanta to Houston as a BLACK person will be a lateral move or an upgrade. They are pretty much similar, if not neck-and-neck, at what they offer blacks.
Pretty much. Especially if she is black and single and looking to hang out with other black folks and date black men.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Fisk, Meharry, and Tennessee State Universities are all in Nashville, and all are traditionally black. Although you are well past the usual college age, having these schools (plus many other colleges) in Nashville means that there is a large number of alums of these colleges who live in the community. Some teach at these or other colleges, others practice various professions. But because of these colleges, Nashville may well have more black college graduates than Houston as a percentage of its population - I didn't check the stats, but think you might well find an existing community that is likely to include suitable candidates in Nashville.

I cannot speak for Houston, but Nashville is a beautiful city with much to offer culturally. I spent a year there long ago, and enjoyed it very much.

Good luck in determining your new home.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Fisk, Meharry, and Tennessee State Universities are all in Nashville, and all are traditionally black. Although you are well past the usual college age, having these schools (plus many other colleges) in Nashville means that there is a large number of alums of these colleges who live in the community. Some teach at these or other colleges, others practice various professions. But because of these colleges, Nashville may well have more black college graduates than Houston as a percentage of its population - I didn't check the stats, but think you might well find an existing community that is likely to include suitable candidates in Nashville.

I cannot speak for Houston, but Nashville is a beautiful city with much to offer culturally. I spent a year there long ago, and enjoyed it very much.

Good luck in determining your new home.
Nashville is a MUCH smaller city than Houston, so Nashville still has a much smaller black population, has less opportunities for blacks, and is culturally geared towards white people anyway, versus Houston which is one of the most diverse cities in the US and even has a large number of black people from different countries. Also, color and culture aside, with Houston being so much larger than Nashville and being in a higher tier altogether, it has way more options in general for entertainment, shopping, and amenities. So Houston still beats the heck out of Nashville, without a doubt.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 03-05-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Nashville is a lot prettier.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Nashville is a lot prettier.
Now I WILL give Nashville that over Houston, but only that.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
And what Mentallect meant is going from Atlanta to Houston as a BLACK person will be a lateral move or an upgrade. They are pretty much similar, if not neck-and-neck, at what they offer blacks.
I'm not sure about that upgrade part, but Atlanta has the edge on most things Black; even many Black Houstonians admit as much (while they have an edge when it comes to overall diversity). However a metro the size of Houston won't be lacking in that regard at all.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure about that upgrade part, but Atlanta has the edge on most things Black; even many Black Houstonians admit as much (while they have an edge when it comes to overall diversity). However a metro the size of Houston won't be lacking in that regard at all.
I think Atlanta would solidly edge out Houston in the black department. When it comes to demographics, it's best to think of Houston as a strong contender in all racial and ethnic groups, rather than solely defined by a heavy population in one or two versus the others. Honestly Houston feels very free-flow like, neighborhoods like Montrose, Midtown, Uptown, West Oaks, among others -- it is not uncommon to see entire groups of people that range in size and have people of every racial background -- just a integrated free-flow. Though like all cities, has it's pockets of segregation as well, but compared to 99% of the country, it feels very marginal at best.

Houston is an excellent city for black people, especially black professionals, and this is increasingly more true by the day.

I think Atlanta probably takes it though. Would imagine only New York and Washington can keep up with Atlanta for black professionals and only Memphis can stay at pace in terms of culture. However, I'll defer that side of the argument to someone that may know much better than me on this subject.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I think Atlanta would solidly edge out Houston in the black department. When it comes to demographics, it's best to think of Houston as a strong contender in all racial and ethnic groups, rather than solely defined by a heavy population in one or two versus the others. Honestly Houston feels very free-flow like, neighborhoods like Montrose, Midtown, Uptown, West Oaks, among others -- it is not uncommon to see entire groups of people that range in size and have people of every racial background -- just a integrated free-flow. Though like all cities, has it's pockets of segregation as well, but compared to 99% of the country, it feels very marginal at best.

Houston is an excellent city for black people, especially black professionals, and this is increasingly more true by the day.

I think Atlanta probably takes it though. Would imagine only New York and Washington can keep up with Atlanta for black professionals and only Memphis can stay at pace in terms of culture. However, I'll defer that side of the argument to someone that may know much better than me on this subject.
Hmmm, that's an interesting statement (emboldened) yet has some truth to it. I'd say that's more true of NOLA than Memphis however.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hmmm, that's an interesting statement (emboldened) yet has some truth to it. I'd say that's more true of NOLA than Memphis however.
That must be a joke. Memphis can't even stay at pace with Mississippi these days. So much wasted potential in Memphis; it still looks and feels like it's stuck in the 1960's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City