Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

i realize this list might be kind of odd. let me explain.

i have lived all of my 28 years in the NYC metro region. grew up in NJ, now live in Westchester, NY (just outside of Manhattan).

things i dislike in no particular order:
1. rat race
2. winter weather
3. COL
4. same old

things i like:
1. family/friends/gf
2. proximity to NYC
3. proximity to beach
4. proximity to "decent" mountains

growing up i have always dreamed of living in California. my brother moved to San Diego at 24-25, he is now in his 40's and settled in San Clemente. a lot of things appeal to me about California, most of all the weather and the scenery. i love the outdoors. i love to surf and snowboard and i love sunshine. i do not think i can live in the NE for my entire life, nor do i think i can afford it.

i am also throwing Denver/Boulder in there b/c i know they're beautiful areas with access to some of the best mountains in the country while still having a decent job market.

so, please weigh in and let me know your thoughts.

i didn't throw Seattle in the title but i have often considered that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
OP

1. rat race NYC and SF = rat race, and they are slightly different rat races. Finance in SF is a satellite office lonely rat race. Otherwise you're in a tech rat race on home turf akin to NYC's corporate/finance rat race, but then you're in a rat race with techies, so it's a different personality. In terms of daily living, SF residents are just as competitive as New Yorkers, but with an entirely different array of "life traits". Be prepared. I've found that the real rat races in this country are NYC, SF, LA, DC, and perhaps Boston. Maybe Miami considering all the poor people compelled to spend money on clothes and cars down there. There's really no "rat race" anywhere else to the same degree. SD and Denver seem like 2 cities in America particularly and culturally opposed to any sort of "rat race"
2. winter weather only NYC, Denver gets snow but its winter temps seem to fluctuate A LOT and being in the plains next to the Rockies is not the same as being IN the Rockies regarding weather; SF isn't "warm" really at any point like SoCal/SD
3. COL SF more expensive than NYC now. It's actually ridiculous. You'll constantly feel like "it's not worth it". Why should any city be more expensive than NYC? For buying a home, SD is also expensive. Denver by far the cheapest, but don't go into Denver thinking at all that it's "cheap"/"a bargain"/"a steal!", it's just that the other cities on your list are outrageous in many respects (and do keep in mind that relativity...is it outrageous for "what it is"? I'd argue that only Denver on this list is a real "deal" for what you get.
4. same old ALL of these cities. NYC to me is the most fast paced and constantly changing, very dynamic (IOW, LEAST "same old"). Followed by SF. Then maybe Denver actually. Then SD, which to me is slowwwww and is really really same old, but it's a same old that people stay for (beautiful weather, slow pace, SoCal life)

things i like:
1. family/friends/gf where are they? CA, even CO are far more isolated to the rest of the country. Frankly, if you're entirely east coast based, moving to CA is akin to moving to London (both English speaking, both drastically different). It's a 6 hr plane ride that isn't cheap. Keep that in mind. You can't just visit people on a whim and you have to be prepared to pay. Going back for weddings is expensive. And exhausting. It helps on the W Coast if most of your family/friends life is also W Coast. It's only a half step removed from being in a different country. And sometimes it can feel like a different country
2. proximity to NYC Ha, Denver is 1.5-2 hr shorter plane ride, but all of your options are about as far as you can get without going to AK or HI
3. proximity to beach Disregard SF. Beautiful area beaches, but COLD. Like Maine water cold even in July/August (when the outside temp is also cold). San Diego is really the ONLY option here for *decent* and more than briefly seasonal beach weather.
4. proximity to "decent" mountains All 4. Denver #1 followed by SF followed by a toss up between SD and NYC, and the latter two are a distant 3rd/4th when compared to CO Rockies/Vail and the Sierras/Tahoe/Mammoth. CA is in a prolonged record drought with limited snow. Keep that in mind too. In terms of day hikes and metro/regional mountains, I'd put SF at #1. You can bike or take transit to 4,000 ft vertical climb hikes that overlook the Bay Area from different vantage points. Maybe followed by SD which has taller area peaks but to my knowledge not necessarily as hike accessible/worthy followed by Denver, especially if you live closer to Boulder or Lakewood, followed distantly by NYC.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
If you can't afford NYC, you probably can't afford San Francisco.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
OP

1. rat race NYC and SF = rat race, and they are slightly different rat races. Finance in SF is a satellite office lonely rat race. Otherwise you're in a tech rat race on home turf akin to NYC's corporate/finance rat race, but then you're in a rat race with techies, so it's a different personality. In terms of daily living, SF residents are just as competitive as New Yorkers, but with an entirely different array of "life traits". Be prepared. I've found that the real rat races in this country are NYC, SF, LA, DC, and perhaps Boston. Maybe Miami considering all the poor people compelled to spend money on clothes and cars down there. There's really no "rat race" anywhere else to the same degree. SD and Denver seem like 2 cities in America particularly and culturally opposed to any sort of "rat race"
2. winter weather only NYC, Denver gets snow but its winter temps seem to fluctuate A LOT and being in the plains next to the Rockies is not the same as being IN the Rockies regarding weather; SF isn't "warm" really at any point like SoCal/SD
3. COL SF more expensive than NYC now. It's actually ridiculous. You'll constantly feel like "it's not worth it". Why should any city be more expensive than NYC? For buying a home, SD is also expensive. Denver by far the cheapest, but don't go into Denver thinking at all that it's "cheap"/"a bargain"/"a steal!", it's just that the other cities on your list are outrageous in many respects (and do keep in mind that relativity...is it outrageous for "what it is"? I'd argue that only Denver on this list is a real "deal" for what you get.
4. same old ALL of these cities. NYC to me is the most fast paced and constantly changing, very dynamic (IOW, LEAST "same old"). Followed by SF. Then maybe Denver actually. Then SD, which to me is slowwwww and is really really same old, but it's a same old that people stay for (beautiful weather, slow pace, SoCal life)

things i like:
1. family/friends/gf where are they? CA, even CO are far more isolated to the rest of the country. Frankly, if you're entirely east coast based, moving to CA is akin to moving to London (both English speaking, both drastically different). It's a 6 hr plane ride that isn't cheap. Keep that in mind. You can't just visit people on a whim and you have to be prepared to pay. Going back for weddings is expensive. And exhausting. It helps on the W Coast if most of your family/friends life is also W Coast. It's only a half step removed from being in a different country. And sometimes it can feel like a different country
2. proximity to NYC Ha, Denver is 1.5-2 hr shorter plane ride, but all of your options are about as far as you can get without going to AK or HI
3. proximity to beach Disregard SF. Beautiful area beaches, but COLD. Like Maine water cold even in July/August (when the outside temp is also cold). San Diego is really the ONLY option here for *decent* and more than briefly seasonal beach weather.
4. proximity to "decent" mountains All 4. Denver #1 followed by SF followed by a toss up between SD and NYC, and the latter two are a distant 3rd/4th when compared to CO Rockies/Vail and the Sierras/Tahoe/Mammoth. CA is in a prolonged record drought with limited snow. Keep that in mind too. In terms of day hikes and metro/regional mountains, I'd put SF at #1. You can bike or take transit to 4,000 ft vertical climb hikes that overlook the Bay Area from different vantage points. Maybe followed by SD which has taller area peaks but to my knowledge not necessarily as hike accessible/worthy followed by Denver, especially if you live closer to Boulder or Lakewood, followed distantly by NYC.
thank you, this is an incredibly detailed rundown.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM

43 posts, read 53,143 times
San Diego all the way.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling707 View Post
San Diego all the way.
why?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,138 times
Keep in mind that Denver/Boulder has legalized marijuana, if that's important for you.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I think San Diego might give you the best balance of all the things you are looking for and want to avoid. You have at least your brother close by for family.

Mountains in SD aren't bad but fairly average, mountains near LA are better and taller but still not as good as the one's people in SF and Denver visit.

Biggest downsides will be the Cost of Living imo. Depending on what kind of job you can land it could end up being just as bad as where you are now financially and possibly worse than SF.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think San Diego might give you the best balance of all the things you are looking for and want to avoid. You have at least your brother close by for family.

Mountains in SD aren't bad but fairly average, mountains near LA are better and taller but still not as good as the one's people in SF and Denver visit.

Biggest downsides will be the Cost of Living imo. Depending on what kind of job you can land it could end up being just as bad as where you are now financially and possibly worse than SF.
worse than SF? i didn't know that was possible.

COL is fairly high here too. i pay $1650 for a 1BR in only a "fairly-decent" area.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
worse than SF? i didn't know that was possible.

COL is fairly high here too. i pay $1650 for a 1BR in only a "fairly-decent" area.
Overall the jobs in SF pay that much better and there are more and better positions to choose from. It just depends on what type of salary/job you get, it could be better, the same, and in some cases worse. I think the deciding factor for SD is the type of job and salary you will be able to get.

According to this calculator $50K in SD would mean you would need about $75K in SF.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

$1650 will get you more in SD than SF for sure.

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City