Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more naturally beautiful?
Asheville, NC 17 60.71%
Duluth, MN 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 11:45 AM

136 posts, read 134,277 times

Advertisements

Onto the first round of the quarterfinals, we have Duluth in northern Minnesota with its gorgeous forests and proximity to Lake Superior versus Asheville’s rolling mountains and greenery.

Which metro would be your pick for gorgeous scenery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 12:50 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,689,567 times
Haven’t directly seen Duluth yet. But my impression of Asheville proper (not surroundings) is that it is relatively flat and not as dynamic topographically until you get out 15-20 miles. Given that Duluth is right on gorgeous Lake Superior and has more immediate topographic presence in first few miles I’ll go with it. After all the question mentions the cities themselves and not their overall region

Edit: I guess it does say metro, whoops. Still, close enough, and Duluth has more varied features overall IMO between coast and mountains, even if smaller ones

Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 PM

842 posts, read 829,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Haven’t directly seen Duluth yet. But my impression of Asheville proper (not surroundings) is that it is relatively flat and not as dynamic topographically until you get out 15-20 miles. Given that Duluth is right on gorgeous Lake Superior and has more immediate topographic presence in first few miles I’ll go with it. After all the question mentions the cities themselves and not their overall region

Edit: I guess it does say metro, whoops. Still, close enough, and Duluth has more varied features overall IMO between coast and mountains, even if smaller ones
My recollection of Asheville is that it very much has the feel of a city in the mountains. Certainly in the core of the city, it is more level along the river valley, but mountains surround the city on all sides. The Blue Ridge Parkway passes through the eastern side of the city itself.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 799,980 times
Asheville is definitely “in the mountains,” and the topography varies 800’+ within the city limits itself from the banks of the French Broad to ridgelines within the city. You can be up another 4000’ at many peaks ~12 miles out, easily visible from the city on clear days. All still very green and rolling. Plenty of pretty waterfalls interspersed between scenic smoky vistas.

Duluth was a cool city (thankfully not COLD when I visited), that I explored when I had a stop for business on the nearby Fond du Lac Reservation. It wasn’t nearly as pretty as Asheville in terms of scenery. The lake was nice and peaceful that day, though.

Last edited by RaleighSentinel; 10-17-2020 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-17-2020, 09:39 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,771,219 times
I prefer the landscape and the flora around Duluth. The lake just puts it over the top.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:42 AM

842 posts, read 829,689 times
Aren't the big hills around Duluth mostly located at the lakeshore? It looks like (on Google Maps), once you hit the crest on the upslope out of the city, the land levels out. Beautiful setting, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City