Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Atlanta has not played out. We still hold the crown. We are #1 in AA nightlife, events (maybe that goes to NYC), middle class population, things to do, history, concerts, festivals, etc. We are home to black entertainment. We are home of the Civil Rights movement and MLK. Dallas and Houston don't have multiple AA middle class neighborhoods like Atlanta/DC. We have 8, yes 8 hip hop and R&b radio stations. Tyler Perry is looking at expanding his movie studio in Atlanta. TI is opening a 4 story restaurant here in a few weeks. Peter from RHOA is reopening his lounge soon. We have huge black events like the Honda Battle of the Band, Hair Shows, Neighborhood Awards, Atlanta Jazz Festival, House.in the Park, Greek Weekend, Atlanta Football Classic weekend, National Black Arts Festival, Ludacris Weekend and so much other stuff. Www.wolfcreekamphitheater.com. Look at that 2015 concert lineup. What other venue in America has that many AA concerts? We got sooooo much of other stuff that's about to pop off in April. Nightlife we have reggae clubs that go to 4/5am in the morning. We got dozens of places to go with dress codes and live bands with professionals.etc. I forgot about the Sweet Auburn Fest, Wind down Wednesday (live free jazz weekly), day parties everywhere, poetry scene is strong here, etc. This is home of Freaknik. Etc

Dating is the same in America everywhere. Look at the marriage rates across the board. Metro Atlanta marriage rate is the same as it is most other cities marriage rate. Pound for pound no city will touch Atlanta or DC as far as AA. Nightlife/things to do in Dallas/Houston can't compare to Atl or DC. Just like Atlanta and DC will never be Mexican Mecca Dallas/Houston will never be AA mecca.

I'm not hating on Dallas/Houston but you just can't take that title without having history. Just because people moved there because the rest of the country's economy was f'ed up doesn't mean it's the black mecca. Just like Atlanta isn't the Hispanic mecca because Hispanics moved here after the Olympics. You just can't throw out the term black mecca without having a large resume to back it up
Now this I agree with you on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
^^^^^^^ I try to fall back from this forum and its delusional weirdos, but I just gotta say...this (above statements) is some of the dumbest sheet Ive heard on here lately...aside from the now locked race baiting thread.
Exactly, I'm not even gonna waste my time with him.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
My last 3 cities I lived in were Los Angeles, Seattle and DC. Though DC has the most blacks it was my least favorite. It seemed to be the least progressive. And everything is always about race. The so-called black professionals only hang out amongst themselves and when they come out to visit me that's who they want to be with, and no one else. I can't believe people act this way. Everytime I go back to DC it always reminds me of a small southern town more so than a big city.
I choose cities that offer things that interest me. Great food, great weather, abundant cultural amenities, great jazz scene, in city hiking, ocean minutes away, low humidity, great skiing, and so on.
I completely understand where you are coming from and choose cities the same way. I think if you go to the cities that offer the most and have the best quality of life for YOU rather than just looking for the blackest cities you can find, you will end up much happier and much better off that way. I know my family and I are.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Like ATL's ratchetness doesn't show every now and then either or any other city for that matter

It's called tho Fab scene
Never said we didn't have one. We need a larger ratchet scene to keep the ratchets from fawking up the good spots lol. The ratchet spots are needed to keep everyone happy and to keep groups from not taking over other spots lol

Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
@bajanyankee

Americans are 'more likely to have an STD than Europeans' | Daily Mail Online

I don't know if I would be rushing to date in DC with it being #1 in HIV, Ghorrhea and syphilis.

Plus DC has the lowest marriage rate in the country at 23% women and 28% men that are married. Atlanta is around 35%

The male female ratio in both cities are the same.

DC: 52.6% of the population are women
Atlanta: 50.2% of the population are women

According to the Brookings Institute, 24% of people who hold a collegedegree*in*Atlanta*is black. (276,000)

10% of people in NYC with college degrees are black. (451,000)

15% of people DC who hold college degrees are black.(250,000)
Yes because what are the odds of running into 40,000 infected out of a city of nearly 660,000 Perhaps everyone should go make out with a random chick or dude, it's not like nothing's gonna happen to their health.....Right?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm surprised so many have degree in the city proper of Atlanta tbh. I generally think most that have degrees are in the suburbs.
Atlanta also has larger city limits compared to some other cities. Looking at the density of educated Blacks.

Manhattan - 2,272 per sq. mi. (2.9% of population)
Brooklyn - 1,702 per sq. mi. (4.6% of population)
Washington - 821 per sq. mi. (7.6% of population)
Atlanta - 259 per sq. mi. (7.8% of population)

Of course, that doesn't completely tell us how geographically concentrated that population is. I did a quick calculation capturing the census tracts in Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Stuyvesant Heights and a few others in Bed-Stuy, and it came out to 6,699.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
well a white person asking such is pretty much pointless.
+2

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
I did a similar count up for Washington, DC. Tallying up Census tracts in Ledroit Park, Bloomingdale, Truxton Circle, Shaw, U Street and Columbia Heights, I came up with 5,202. These are the most urban areas in the city that have significant Black professional concentrations. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the largest concentrations are in the tracts east and south of Howard University. I'm not sure what the total square mileage would be.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Geez dude how much bad info are you going to give out lol. I dj in Atlanta so I know where to go.

DC is strictly a Go Go and/or Lounge city. Atlanta is a strip club and party city. Now it has a good underground scene and the average person doesn't know about.

Atlanta nightlife is more diverse as far as options than it used to be. Atlanta nightlife is way more diverse than going to the club and popping bottles. TI is about to open a 4 floor restaurant that will turn into a lounge at night. As for lounges we got BQE Lounge, Sweet Auburn Seafood, Cirque, Cafe circa, the new Bar One opens soon, Gold Room, Sound Table, Suite, Etc, etc. Plus we have plenty of monthly events like Old School Saturday, Eargasms, Soul of Jazz, Atl in the Park, Boom Bap Saturday, Love Jones Sunday, Playdate, Spreadlove, Kick ' in up dust, Sunday School, Sunday Dinner, etc, etc. Thing is the average person doesn't know everything Atlanta has to offer because it's not handed to you. You have to do some hard digging to find these events but they are there. Plenty of them. We got a nice reggae scene with reggae clubs on the eastside going to 4/5am in the morning. He got a huge house music scene here since we have so many people from NY, NJ and Chicago here. Atlanta scene has so many options once you scratch the surface. Heck we got at least 30 venues in the metro area that are open until 4am- 6am each week
DC is not just strictly a GoGo and Lounge city. If you want your House/EDM music fix (which DC has a growing underground scene, especially with lifelong assistance of homegrown Thievery Corporation and the rising popularity of Moombahton and Moombahcore), Slam Poetry/Spoken Word fix, Hip Hop fix, Reggae/Reggaeton fix, Worldbeat fix, Jazz fix, Alternative fix, Afrobeat fix, Indie Rock fix, etc. from local, national, and international acts, one can surely find these in multiple music/performance venues that have been legendary for decades, upscale nightclubs, late-night restaurants, multiple bars, concerts at the Verizon Center, DAR Constitution Hall, Howard Theater, Lincoln Theater, etc., all throughout DC that cater to yuppies, buppies, hipsters, oldheads, students, blipsters, the embassy crowd, etc. The racial/ethnic demographic may be either mainly Black, White, Black/White, White/Asian, Hispanic, Black/Hispanic, or mixture of all four along with Mixed Race persons. Can enjoy the nightlife away from 2 to 3am, even 4am at some of those venues.

http://www.notfortourists.com/Overvi...onDC/Nightlife

http://www.dcclubbing.com

Last edited by tcave360; 03-18-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC is not just strictly a GoGo and Lounge city. If you want your House/EDM music fix (which DC has a growing underground scene, especially with lifelong assistance of homegrown Thievery Corporation and the rising popularity of Moombahton and Moombahcore), Slam Poetry/Spoken Word fix, Hip Hop fix, Reggae/Reggaeton fix, Worldbeat fix, Jazz fix, Alternative fix, Afrobeat fix, Indie Rock fix, etc. from local, national, and international acts, one can surely find these in multiple music/performance venues that have been legendary for decades, upscale nightclubs, late-night restaurants, multiple bars, concerts at the Verizon Center, DAR Constitution Hall, Howard Theater, Lincoln Theater, etc., all throughout DC that cater to yuppies, buppies, hipsters, oldheads, students, blipsters, the embassy crowd, etc. The racial/ethnic demographic may be either mainly Black, White, Black/White, White/Asian, Hispanic, Black/Hispanic, or mixture of all four along with Mixed Race persons. Can enjoy the nightlife away from 2 to 3am, even 4am at some of those venues.

NFT - Not For Tourists - Washington DC / Nightlife

DC Nightlife and Nightclub Event Guide - DC Clubbing
I didn't say strictly. I said for the average black person DC is a Go Go and/or Lounge city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City