Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 04:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Hip hop is not just rap.Atlanta has long been influential in black music.From Gladys Knight to the SOS BAND to Usher.
Truth be told no one has influenced hip hop more than NYC.Houston is a small blimp.Right now I rent in my home to several international students over the last 9 years.Not one of them has mentioned Houston as a place they know anything about when it comes to rap but they know "The AtL" for sure.

You are playing yourself if you think Houston is known outside of the U.S. as rap central like Atlanta

The biggest rapper in Houston is who?Atlanta its T.I..Ludacris.Future.etc...
Lots of people in the underground scene know who K-Rino is worldwide. He does shows (many sold out) in Europe and New Zealand. As far as Houston being a small blimp, I'm going to disagree with that. And as far as Atlanta influence more than any other city other than NYC. That's debatable. LA and the Bay Area is very influential as well. Houston is influential as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
This is the old Atlanta that I remember when I was younger, but according to some in here Houston had a bigger influence on early Atlanta rap

nah man....Miami did.

Yes. This is what I remembered too. Atlanta was definitely similar to Florida and Miami. You couldn't find much of a difference between the so so def all stars and the 69 boyz. Kilo Ali, Raheem the dream, dj taz, none of this is Houston influenced as Houston does not make music like that. If anything, you could make an argument that they borrowed some elements from New Orleans with bounce. But that's it.

Quote:

Your average casual rap fan ONLY heard of UGK and the Geto Boyz/Scarface back in the day as far as Texas is concerned, and they only heard of Three Six and Eightball & MJG as far as Memphis.

95% of those other rappers from Memphis and Houston are irrelevant and unheard of by the general public, and that's coming from someone who actually did used to listen to it. I know because I used to be about the only guy around who knew anything about it.

I know this may hurt your soul, but most people, even right here in Georgia, didnt know a THING about what DJ Screw or Screw Music was, until guys like Lil Flip went mainstream and started mentioning it on B.E.T.

Lets get to what the real issue is here.

At times it seems like Houston, Memphis, or the big supporters of their music scenes, get mad that they pioneered certain things and existed before ATL rap, yet ATL popularized it and has continued to be more of a staple in the mainstream.

I'm just trying to say you cant get mad at Atlanta because Memphis and Houston didnt make music that appealed to a more mainstream audience. Do yall expect them to do a tribute to Memphis and Houston before every song they make? Hey, lets not stop there. Lets shout out New York in all rap songs for starting it all.
Agreed Agreed Agreed. Although I will say that California was bigger on Texas underground scene more than even people in the Southeast. I kid you not. I've met plenty of people from Cali that talk about Houston's underground scene. But I'm done with talking about music now.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I may check it out when I come up to the city this weekend; I'll be in Harlem most of the day tomorrow.
You came a weekend too late. Every good-looking Black woman in the Five Boroughs was out.

HBCUnion: SPRINGComing - Splash

Old 04-22-2015, 04:43 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You came a weekend too late. Every good-looking Black woman in the Five Boroughs was out.

HBCUnion: SPRINGComing - Splash
Well I was in NOLA last weekend, which never disappoints.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,187 times
One of my favorite acts now is a duo named G-Side from Huntsville, Alabama. They are very Houston influenced with an underground following, and very lyrical. They have performed in Europe and even have a track on one of the MLB baseball video games.

Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group member, Stalley, actually used the exact beat and title of one of G-Side's song for his album single, named "Swangin."

Despite how good their music is, them performing in Europe, and my own personal admiration of their work........I have to remember and accept that 95% or more of people walking the streets have never heard of them.

Some of you dudes need to realize the same. Just because you like something doesn't mean the general population has heard of it.

Look I enjoyed listening to Big Hawk, Lil Keke, Kingpin Skinny P, Playa Fly, etc. and underground Memphis and Houston stuff too but most people havent heard of that let alone been influenced by it. It is what it is.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I was in NOLA last weekend, which never disappoints.
True. Well, Spring is a great time to be in NYC and there are some good events coming up at BAM and MoCADA in Brooklyn.

"Grits & Biscuits" will also be around your way soon. You DO NOT want to miss it.

Grits & Biscuits | A Dirty South Set

It looks like it will be in Chicago on May 22 too. Tickets sell out with the quickness so ChiTown folks need to move fast.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Getting back on topic, what do you guys think about a city like Seattle? I always hear it mentioned as some "racial utopia" in the "liberal pacific northwest" but I've always wondered exactly how out of place would a black person feel at times being in a city only 7% black.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow! I thought that you could find a mix even in those cities/areas.
Unfortunately, no. Example, I have 2 buddies who were making strong attempts to bring a different atmosphere around here for AA nightlife. They set up some parties weekly at certain spots and clubs. They had nights where a "dress code" was required, other nights at a different spot trying to do open mic poetry. None of them drew a big enough crowd. The kids are going to be kids, so I dont worry about them but even the 30+ crowd is basically a bunch of people who are still stuck in their early 2000s days. They want to show up in their Tall T-Shirts, du-rag, baggy jeans, gold grill, and dark shades on.

I know you're from upstate so what about up there? Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse offers a mix? I'd imagine they do since they are bigger than our non-Atlanta metros here in Georgia.

I'm going to have to make time to really check out Rochester one day, I have a ton of relatives there. I may even consider moving, since I'm looking for a city not as big as Atlanta but not as small as the 200,000-500,000-ish metros around here.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:26 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,637 times
Quote:
Getting back on topic, what do you guys think about a city like Seattle? I always hear it mentioned as some "racial utopia" in the "liberal pacific northwest" but I've always wondered exactly how out of place would a black person feel at times being in a city only 7% black.
I'm the type of person where I do better in a city with a tiny black percentage anyway so if your described black person is like me then its basically 'so what'. And if I ever do need black interaction then I'd move or find one of the few in the city.

Just because it ain't a chocalate city does not mean a black person ain't capable of living a normal life there.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
What people may not realize about the Seattle area is that many of the places in between Seattle and Tacoma have higher Black percentages. So, while Seattle may be in the high single digits in Black percentage, places like Renton, Lakewood, Kent, Federal Way, SeaTac, etc. will have higher percentages(in the 10-20% Black range). Much of this is probably due to Seattle's Black community being concentrated in the Central and Southern parts of the city and the military presence(Fort Lewis Army Base and McGuire AFB). Tacoma actually has a higher Black percentage at around 11-12%. Here's some info: Washington Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Also, I believe that Seattle actually has a couple of predominately Black high schools. I know Ranier Beach where Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford went to HS is. I think Cleveland High is/was as well. Garfield is another one that historically has had a pretty large Black student enrollment, with Quincy Jones and Brandon Roy both graduating from there. More info: Rainier Beach High School - Public School

Garfield High School - Public School

Cleveland High School - Public School

Search For Schools and Colleges

Like Rainier Beach in Seattle, Jefferson High in Portland OR is also a small predominately Black high school in NE Portland. Terrence Jones of the Houston Rockets and Terrence Ross of the Toronto Raptors both went to HS there. So, even in cities such as those, you can find areas with a high concentration of Black folks.

Both of those cities actually have Black owned radio stations as well: Seattle Medium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-22-2015 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City