Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Dont know any of those artist.Im more Rand B anyway
Haha true true. I love a wide range of music. Still love both R&B and Hip Hop at my core, but my tastes have definitely branched a lot in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
LOL,So I can find some Paul Wall jewlery in the Buford Flea Market next to the cell phone repair shop?
Lol. the jewelry he makes is not cheap.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
LOL,Yall sound so desperate.

Bun B?LOL ok
So the fact that Atlanta can capitalize on what Houston obviously could not should embarrass you.Atlanta rappers perfected and made the soun available to the masses.If it was so good in Houston why don't people want to hear more Houston artist?Why get mad at Atlanta for taking to a level Houston could not?

The bottom line is ATLANTA NOT houston is where world wide people repeat songs about or with the "A"or ATL in them.I have never heard people who love hip hop worldwide mention "H-Town".

Thats 2 years more than most Houston rappers ever get nationally or internationally.
But where is Paul Wall?Slim Thug?or any other Houston rapper now?
What is Houston most famous rapper?
I don't think it's embarrassing. I think it's the sound that people appeal to. Houston's sound does not appeal to the masses like that. Never has and never will. That slowed down sound is cool if you want to chill. But if you want to party, like most do, the last city you will turn on is Houston. Now I will say that there are probably more lyrical rappers in Houston than Atlanta. Like I said, South Park Coalition which was deep were lyrical beasts. They just had terrible production. Which leads me to this. But Atlanta had better production than Houston. When people want to chill, they turned on Houston. Everything else, Atlanta. That including the marketing and distribution is why Atlanta was boosted. Same with New Orleans. Let's be real. THAT city dominated the South in the late 90s. Not Atlanta, not Houston. Just about every artists coming from the South was from New Orleans. The sound appealed heavily, nationwide and they had good marketing and distribution.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I didn't say strictly. I said for the average black person DC is a Go Go and/or Lounge city
This was true 15 years ago, but not anymore, even I have been surprised by the number of different types of venues and or shows that have EDM/house music etc, much like tcave said. H Street has been completely revitalized and truly has its own defined urban vibe with a mixture of venues that host performers almost on a nightly basis from various different genres. 2015 DC music nightlife scene is very different, I think some of you feel that since the "mega club" scene in DC is no more so all that's left is lounges and go-go's, but that's not true at all. Go-go if anything is fairly dead in the city, but now everything has transferred over to a much more broad base of what people accept and have a feel for in the city. I've been to numerous shows in the past month who hosted a live rap artist, techno, or EDM, or reggae on the same night.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
What I have noticed in DC is that the city is definitely improving it's bar scenes. M Street and Connecticut Ave between Farragut North and Dupont is becoming more of a spot lately. And there's even a Dallas Cowboys bar there. I actually don't mind DC's night life. Lots of spots where you can chill and listen to live music.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:36 AM

401 posts, read 551,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What I have noticed in DC is that the city is definitely improving it's bar scenes. M Street and Connecticut Ave between Farragut North and Dupont is becoming more of a spot lately. And there's even a Dallas Cowboys bar there. I actually don't mind DC's night life. Lots of spots where you can chill and listen to live music.
Generally, I have heard good things about DC nightlife for all races especially for a small major city as it is. I haven't experienced it much myself but I thought it had a moderate nightlife that didn't seem all too loud and crazy which I prefer.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Mainstream-wise for Houston, I think Kirko Bangz and maybe Trae Tha Truth. Idk I'm not from Houston.

I liked Trae's "I'm From Texas" music video that was on MTV back in 2012. That jont cranked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think it's embarrassing. I think it's the sound that people appeal to. Houston's sound does not appeal to the masses like that. Never has and never will. That slowed down sound is cool if you want to chill. But if you want to party, like most do, the last city you will turn on is Houston. Now I will say that there are probably more lyrical rappers in Houston than Atlanta. Like I said, South Park Coalition which was deep were lyrical beasts. They just had terrible production. Which leads me to this. But Atlanta had better production than Houston. When people want to chill, they turned on Houston. Everything else, Atlanta. That including the marketing and distribution is why Atlanta was boosted. Same with New Orleans. Let's be real. THAT city dominated the South in the late 90s. Not Atlanta, not Houston. Just about every artists coming from the South was from New Orleans. The sound appealed heavily, nationwide and they had good marketing and distribution.
Yes but some of these poster are knocking Atlanta because they took a genre and made it popular with their own touch.Truthfully all hip hop was influenced by NYC from there its just a matter of rearranging a common sound to sound somewhat different.

New Orleans did dominate in the 90s but as I said before black music is more that just rap and thats what this thread is about.Black culture.
Rap is not the only game in town for Atlanta.Atlanta was LaFace,Rowdy Records,and So So Def.Its scene was varied in black music.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
lol. The jewelry he makes is not cheap.
lol

Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
Generally, I have heard good things about DC nightlife for all races especially for a small major city as it is. I haven't experienced it much myself but I thought it had a moderate nightlife that didn't seem all too loud and crazy which I prefer.
DC is a small city?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This was true 15 years ago, but not anymore, even I have been surprised by the number of different types of venues and or shows that have EDM/house music etc, much like tcave said. H Street has been completely revitalized and truly has its own defined urban vibe with a mixture of venues that host performers almost on a nightly basis from various different genres. 2015 DC music nightlife scene is very different, I think some of you feel that since the "mega club" scene in DC is no more so all that's left is lounges and go-go's, but that's not true at all. Go-go if anything is fairly dead in the city, but now everything has transferred over to a much more broad base of what people accept and have a feel for in the city. I've been to numerous shows in the past month who hosted a live rap artist, techno, or EDM, or reggae on the same night.
DC sounds like the place to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City