Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Look I'm not going to downplay Atlanta's club scene it's very nice. But Houston has a good club/black hip hop strip club scene as well. Try going sometime.
Dude can you answer the darn question. Geez.

Im Going to repeat it slowly......

Tell us about the Houston hip hop scene, nightclubs, etc for people that don't know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
I'm really starting to get the sense they never been to H town.
Umm, duh.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What people may not realize about the Seattle area is that many of the places in between Seattle and Tacoma have higher Black percentages. So, while Seattle may be in the high single digits in Black percentage, places like Renton, Lakewood, Kent, Federal Way, SeaTac, etc. will have higher percentages(in the 10-20% Black range). Much of this is probably due to Seattle's Black community being concentrated in the Central and Southern parts of the city and the military presence(Fort Lewis Army Base and McGuire AFB). Tacoma actually has a higher Black percentage at around 11-12%. Here's some info: Washington Black Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Also, I believe that Seattle actually has a couple of predominately Black high schools. I know Ranier Beach where Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford went to HS is. I think Cleveland High is/was as well. Garfield is another one that historically has had a pretty large Black student enrollment, with Quincy Jones and Brandon Roy both graduating from there. More info: Rainier Beach High School - Public School

Garfield High School - Public School

Cleveland High School - Public School

Search For Schools and Colleges

Like Rainier Beach in Seattle, Jefferson High in Portland OR is also a small predominately Black high school in NE Portland. Terrence Jones of the Houston Rockets and Terrence Ross of the Toronto Raptors both went to HS there. So, even in cities such as those, you can find areas with a high concentration of Black folks.

Both of those cities actually have Black owned radio stations as well: Seattle Medium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Something else I forgot to mention is that Seattle and Tacoma have had Black people in leadership positions as well. Seattle has had a mayor that is Black and Tacoma's current mayor is a Black woman, if I'm not mistaken. I believe Seattle Public Schools has had superintendents that are Black and the King County executive in recent years has been Black as well. I may be forgetting some others as well.

Denver is another city that is similar in this regard.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Dude can you answer the darn question. Geez.

Im Going to repeat it slowly......

Tell us about the Houston hip hop scene, nightclubs, etc for people that don't know
Find out yourself lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This was true 15 years ago, but not anymore, even I have been surprised by the number of different types of venues and or shows that have EDM/house music etc, much like tcave said. H Street has been completely revitalized and truly has its own defined urban vibe with a mixture of venues that host performers almost on a nightly basis from various different genres. 2015 DC music nightlife scene is very different, I think some of you feel that since the "mega club" scene in DC is no more so all that's left is lounges and go-go's, but that's not true at all. Go-go if anything is fairly dead in the city, but now everything has transferred over to a much more broad base of what people accept and have a feel for in the city. I've been to numerous shows in the past month who hosted a live rap artist, techno, or EDM, or reggae on the same night.
Rep.

Me and my friends went out in Adams Morgan and U Street this past Saturday night. A wide eclectic range of different music genres from Hip Hop and Reggae Fusion to Jazz and Neo-Soul to Future Soul and Punjabi music to Electronica and Top 40 remixes to Progressive Trance and House to Alternative Rock and Modern Blues to Samba and EDM to popular Arab music and East African music and so on and so forth spilling out into the streets from the lounges, bars, clubs, late-night restaurants, and music venues with a very beautifully diverse crowd out and about, patronizing them. We heard Go-Go being played outta people's car sound systems but unfortunately, we didn't hear any of the aforementioned nightlife venues play it.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
I made this thread to see/learn about how many people that respond would say the San Francisco Bay Area.

Looks like not many, unfortunately.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
DC is a small city?
At 658,893 residents and growing along with a density nearing 11,000 ppsm in the center of a 5.9 million metro area, I certainly wouldn't call DC small (other than city limits size, which is 61.4 square miles), though it can often feel bigger than it is in certain spots. It's a weird city like that lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Find out yourself lol.
City wack yo lol.

and yall wonder why nobody paying attention to houston

Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Rep.

Me and my friends went out in Adams Morgan and U Street this past Saturday night. A wide eclectic range of different music genres from Hip Hop and Reggae Fusion to Jazz and Neo-Soul to Future Soul and Punjabi music to Electronica and Top 40 remixes to Progressive Trance and House to Alternative Rock and Modern Blues to Samba and EDM to popular Arab music and East African music and so on and so forth spilling out into the streets from the lounges, bars, clubs, late-night restaurants, and music venues with a very beautifully diverse crowd out and about, patronizing them. We heard Go-Go being played outta people's car sound systems but unfortunately, we didn't hear any of the aforementioned nightlife venues play it.
How has K St scene been lately?

What are the spots buppies hit up on Friday and Saturday night now?

What are the most active all around party districts in DC now?

Back when I was there is was K St, U St, Georgetown, etc

Old 04-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Why has the DC/Baltimore region not produced much mainstream rap? NYC, Philly, Hampton Roads, VA all have blown up. I'd think an area with such a gigantic black population and black heritage (and so close to America's rap capital NYC) would have dominated the scene at one time.

When I lived in the DMV in the early 90s, NYC rap was almost exclusively played on DC urban stations. Baltimore radio went to house for the late night party mixes, DC go-go.
The DMV produced the following artists who are well-established in the mainstream and are growing their profile:

Wale
Shy Glizzy
Fat Trel
Logic
Oddisee
Tabi Bonney
Lola Monroe (she's also a model...And a FINEASS Ethiopian!!! )
Nonchalant (old school)
Section 8 Mob (old school, I don't like how some of their stuff sound like the West Coast)

There's a larger number of underground artists too.

Baltimore:

King Los
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City