Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 PM

183 posts, read 249,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yes! I agree. Most blacks here will bring up how diverse Houston is, while saying it's a great place for blacks. IMO, Houston is the best of both worlds: black world and diverse world.
If diversity and having the best of both worlds is a desired objective, then what's your opinion of black students who choose to attend an HBCU over a traditional college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not entirely, but mostly--which is generally true. We all know that social circles in the U.S. are largely defined by race, even in the most diverse of cities. Atlanta certainly has enough diversity for one to get his/her multicultural fix while also enjoying the immensity of the Black cultural infrastructure which exists there.
I agree. Pretty much every major American metro offers a multicultural experience. Even in Atlanta, you are going to have a lot of Black people who don't run in Black social circles. But the thread is about cities that have a lot of offerings for African Americans, and the number of cities that do has been very few in my experience. I don't see how people equate that with "You must remain around Black people."

Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree. Pretty much every major American metro offers a multicultural experience. Even in Atlanta, you are going to have a lot of Black people who don't run in Black social circles. But the thread is about cities that have a lot of offerings for African Americans, and the number of cities that do has been very few in my experience. I don't see how people equate that with "You must remain around Black people."
What would you consider to be "offerings for African Americans"? I'm really curious, as a Black person. We're not all into the same things. What works for one Black person won't work for another.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What would you consider to be "offerings for African Americans"? I'm really curious, as a Black person. We're not all into the same things. What works for one Black person won't work for another.
For starters, you can look at the numbers of Black professionals. In a city with hundreds of thousands of them, there will be many more events of any kind than there will be in a city with 10,000.

For me, it's not about specific types of events. It's about a scene where you can go out most nights of the week and meet Black professionals. If that's something you care to avoid, then it's fairly simple in a country that's overwhelmingly non-Black, and even less non-Black the higher you move up in education.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
But you don't necessarily have to be in a city with a lot of black professionals to enjoy living there as a black person. When I lived in Seattle I enjoyed my life there. I still went to black film festivals, festivals, concerts, parties, black Baptist churches. Ate soul food or southern cuisine on occasion. That along with the well known Seattle amenities made it an enjoyable city to live in.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Lol at the (conscious or unconscious) backhand to Atlanta with this diversity talk, as if Atlanta isn't diverse. Yeah, Houston may be more diverse than Atlanta, but it's not a light years difference. Essentially, Black people are to Atlanta as Latinos are to Houston. That doesn't mean there aren't lots of Latinos or Asians or Europeans or anyone else in Atlanta. In either city, one can choose to live in a "diverse" area or not. The only real big difference is that Houston doesn't have near the same amount of large middle class and higher majority black neighborhoods as Atlanta does.

Last edited by waronxmas; 03-20-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
For starters, you can look at the numbers of Black professionals. In a city with hundreds of thousands of them, there will be many more events of any kind than there will be in a city with 10,000.

For me, it's not about specific types of events. It's about a scene where you can go out most nights of the week and meet Black professionals. If that's something you care to avoid, then it's fairly simple in a country that's overwhelmingly non-Black, and even less non-Black the higher you move up in education.
That's a very specific concern. I guess I'm just confused because I meet Black professionals all the time and I'm never looking for them. I meet them at the library, at church, everywhere. Plus with the Internet, its easy to meet Black people who are "like minded". It isn't the eighties where you had to be an insider.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Now if you're in a city like, Madison, Wisconsin, then I can see where you're coming from. But even then cities like Milwaukee and Chicago are within driving distance. Or maybe Austin, or Albuquerque.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:

No one is avoiding Black professionals. If anything they're avoiding us.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
I don't see how people equate that with "You must remain around Black people."
Those must be those "New Black" people like Pharrell.

On the other hand, it's mostly like a snide way to shade at cities that are clearly offer superior amenities to Black folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City