Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That, or they chose cities in their own countries first simply because they have that bias (like Canada choosing Toronto then New York). NY is pretty damn close to top in every single one and is always the top US city. I assume cities put ahead of it are cities within those countries in which people were surveyed or a city like London, maybe Tokyo, Hong Kong - other alpha + or whatever they are cities. A European might find London slightly more important to them than New York, perhaps because it's more familiar or accessible, for example.
do europeans really beleive that london is more important than nyc (maybe living in the usa bubble for so long propogandized me to believing that everything in the us is better than elsewhere ?) ? -- if anything i always thought that paris was #2 on the world stage ? i am honestly flabbergasted that the world opinion is different from what i took for granted..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
do europeans really beleive that london is more important than nyc (maybe living in the usa bubble for so long propogandized me to believing that everything in the us is better than elsewhere ?) ? -- if anything i always thought that paris was #2 on the world stage ? i am honestly flabbergasted that the world opinion is different from what i took for granted..
World opinion is going to be affected by geography. For instance, look at how not only the two North American countries, Canada and the USA but pretty much every other country ranks Toronto higher then Vancouver. Except for the three East Asian countries; China, Japan and South Korea (and also Germany for some strange reason). They rank Vancouver higher, probably because Vancouver is more familiar to them then Toronto.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Not bad SF:-)

Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
??? People obviously chose their countries' capitals as #1, look at Canada for example. Or for South Korea it was Seoul, Tokyo for Japan, Paris for France, etc. For Europeans I am sure even Frankfurt or Brussels is more important than NY.

The most surprising to me is that NYC is higher rated than LA in Mexico.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:27 AM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
Quote:

No. The only country that ranks London as #1 is the United Kingdom. London has the same (or perhaps lower) average as New York if you look through the rankings. Countries and regions have strong regional biases, according to this particular study.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:36 AM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
This is an interesting study, but it has the inherent problem of being limited only to the group of cities randomly chosen for inclusion by the researchers. For example, among North American cities; no Philadelphia, Houston, Montreal, or Atlanta--but Seattle is included?
As someone who has traveled extensively, I can honestly say that nobody in those countries care about Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle and especially Houston. They were excluded for a reason -- they would rank too low and it would be a waste of print.

Seattle might do well in the U.S. and Canada, and that's it.

Most visited cities by overseas travelers:

1) NYC - 9.5 million visitors
2)Miami - 4 million visitors
3)L.A. - 3.8 million visitors
4)Orlando - 3.7 million visitors.
5) San Francisco - 3.05 million visitors
6) Las Vegas - 2.85 million visitors
7) Honolulu - 2.56 million visitors
8) D.C. - 1.7 million visitors
9) Chicago - 1.4 million visitors
10) Boston 1.3 million visitors

Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
World opinion is going to be affected by geography. For instance, look at how not only the two North American countries, Canada and the USA but pretty much every other country ranks Toronto higher then Vancouver. Except for the three East Asian countries; China, Japan and South Korea (and also Germany for some strange reason). They rank Vancouver higher, probably because Vancouver is more familiar to them then Toronto.
fyi mexico is north american too.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
No. The only country that ranks London as #1 is the United Kingdom. London has the same (or perhaps lower) average as New York if you look through the rankings. Countries and regions have strong regional biases, according to this particular study.
i wish there was a way to get a cumulative score from the website for each of the 50 cities. the site only have dropdown pivots and not a regular list.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:45 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
As someone who has traveled extensively, I can honestly say that nobody in those countries care about Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle and especially Houston. They were excluded for a reason -- they would rank too low and it would be a waste of print.

Seattle might do well in the U.S. and Canada, and that's it.

Most visited cities by overseas travelers:

1) NYC - 9.5 million visitors
2)Miami - 4 million visitors
3)L.A. - 3.8 million visitors
4)Orlando - 3.7 million visitors.
5) San Francisco - 3.05 million visitors
6) Las Vegas - 2.85 million visitors
7) Honolulu - 2.56 million visitors
8) D.C. - 1.7 million visitors
9) Chicago - 1.4 million visitors
10) Boston 1.3 million visitors
Seattle is not excluded. That's my basic point!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
North American cities included in the survey are as follows: New York, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco, Dallas, Boston, Vancouver, and Seattle.

50 of the world's cities were surveyed. Respondents were asked a series of questions pertaining to six categories in regards to all 50 cities and were asked to answer the question by listing the cities from 1 through 50.

Category one: 01: Presence
How highly do people in...

United States:
01. New York: 1st out of 50.
02. Chicago: 3rd out of 50.
03. San Francisco: 4th out of 50.
04. Los Angeles: 5th out of 50.
05. Boston: 6th out of 50.
06. Seattle: 8th out of 50.
07. Dallas: 9th out of 50.
08. Toronto: 13th out of 50.
09. Vancouver: 20th out of 50.
10. Mexico City: 33rd out of 50.

I'll leave it at that. For the other 5 categories, you can do it yourself here:Simon Anholt - Research - City Brands Index. Have fun with that.
As a boost to my favorite city. Chicago still ranked before LA in the US.... seen as "The Second City" STILL. Despite negative stereotyping, it always has aspects of to overcome? Visitors and Tourist realize differently.

London ranked second to NYC, because it is with NYC.... seen as the Worlds Top Cities. LA still ranked above Chicago in the world. But the placement of Chicago and San Francisco for 3rd and 4th in the world for US cities PRESESCE was still the placement as standard.

In some Chicago vs threads on C-D? Some lessen Chicago in stature, importance, lowering recognition and dropping status in the US and World for that matter? The survey apparently says.....

NO, CHICAGO IS ....MAINTAINING ITS PRESESNCE? ESPECIALLY HERE AT HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City