Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tacoma vs Salt Lake City
Tacoma 17 68.00%
Salt Lake City 11 44.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:09 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times

Advertisements

Here are two cities that usually get overlooked and (occasionally) badmouthed by others, but in reality are more in the class of hidden gems. Both have mountains and are known for their outdoor activities.

So, which would you pick?

For:

1. Climate
2. Nightlife & dating Scene, Vibe
3. Nature/outdoor activities
4. City Proper Living (COL, jobs, transportation, amenities, crime, etc.)

Anything else you'd like to add would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,965 times
Unless Pierce County has a great wall with King, Tacoma all the way, Puget Sound already feels smallish, I could only imagine SLC.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:31 AM

765 posts, read 899,316 times
I have never spent much time in SLC but from what I hear urban planning wise, the city is making tremendous strides. What stands out to me the most is it's light rail expansion. I hear it is very up and coming and just has some very good things going on. Also has mountains right next to it and Park City!
With that being said, Climate wise, I hate the snow and love the Ocean. Tacoma
Vibe, I feel like outside of downtown SLC it's really quite suburban and cookie cutter. I've heard from a friend who lives there though that there are a few really cool neighborhoods that I should check out next time I'm there. The names escape me. Also SLC probably has more to offer amenities wise but Tacoma would have more to offer Metro area wise. If I had to choose one though for vibe it would definitely be Tacoma. It's a gritty, west coast, dark, local, masterpiece.
Nature is really a toss and it depends on the individual. I personally prefer marine life and thick rainforests. But Someone who hates cold foggy rainy days and is claustrophobic in such a densly forested area might prefer SLC. It is beautiful. It is also drier and from what I hear the skiing is better there than in the Cascades.
City Proper again for me is Tacoma. It is so rich and beautiful. But at the same time it only has 205,000 people so there is a local element that you aren't able to have in bigger cities. I can't fully explain it but I have seen this city grow since the 90's and it has come such a long way. I am very proud of what it has become and am very thankful to live here.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 AM

213 posts, read 278,363 times
Tacoma has a higher violent crime rate but it's in a much bigger metro with a lot more to do and has better urban bones.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
1. Climate -I prefer the SLC climate with more sun and less rain. The flip side is Tacoma is beautiful.
2. Nightlife & dating Scene, Vibe - Tacoma unless you are LDS
3. Nature/outdoor activities - Tacoma
4. City Proper Living (COL, jobs, transportation, amenities, crime, etc.) - I would say that SLC edges out just Tacoma but with Seattle next door, I would probably give it the edge for that reason.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:10 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I have never spent much time in SLC but from what I hear urban planning wise, the city is making tremendous strides. What stands out to me the most is it's light rail expansion.
Yeah, I was surprised it had three lines. It wasn't that long ago Portland's MAX only had three lines. Plus being able to take a bus to a couple of the skiing areas seems nice.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,443,857 times
Slc.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:27 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,443,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Tacoma has a higher violent crime rate but it's in a much bigger metro with a lot more to do and has better urban bones.
Jhenma,

Tacoma is included in the Seattle MSA. Taking Seattle and all cities north of SEA TAC out of your numbers, what is Tacoma's metro population? Here's the Census report. Pierce County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

About how many in Tacoma are affiliated with various military bases etc.?

I don't know what you mean by "urban bones." Would you please explain so I'm clear what you mean? Thanks.

Here is SL County's Population with another million plus within 20 miles.

Salt Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

To the OP

1. SLC gets lots of sunshine. Great powder snow for skiing. Highs in the summer 103, but not all the time. Winter, lowest a few days around 15-20. But the way the weather is changing, who knows. Four separate seasons.

2. Limitless outdoor activities, with some of the best known state and national parks (Arches, All the southern UT parks etc.)
Hiking is in the city or larger trails 10 minutes. Skiing is 15 min. away, unless you want Park City. Lots of Hollywood elite own homes there and Summitt County.

3. Nightlife is available. Microbrews, a couple of clubs get lots of the new or small recording artists.

The scene depends on what you mean. Please clarify. It's wonderful to have Mtns. so close.

Jobs...depends on your skills and training. IT and other high tech is big and growing rapidly, genetics, Huntsman Chemicals and other. People in Utah are active. Dating, like most everything else depends on you. I didn't see an age range. But there are plenty of single people. The key is to live and spend leisure time where you would meet others.

Check jobs on here: Department of Workforce Services

Cool light rail that is heavily used and growing. I don't know about COL for Tacoma vs. SLC. Obviously cheaper than Seattle. Great educational opportunities.

That's enough detail. Post in UT if you have other questions.

MSR

Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM

680 posts, read 649,356 times
1. Climate - Toss up seeing as Tacoma is milder with fantastic summers but much more rainy but most places are compared to Salt Lake City. SLC on the other hand is a very sunny four-seasonal climate with awesome shoulder seasons and snow which is a good thing for some, I love snow! Tie for me, I flip-flop on weather often.

2. Nightlife - Been to both a few times but never really focused on the nightlife seeing as I was generally in the outdoors or driving around exploring the scenery and that setups the next part of the list.

3. Nature/Outdoor Activities - This is a hard for me seeing as they're quite a bit different. I love the Wasatch Range around SLC and it's great weather wise during every season generally speaking. But Tacoma has very large mountains near it and it also has temperate rainforests near it that are kind of atmospheric and extremely unique not only in the US but on a global level. Toss-up once again...

4. City Proper Living - Not really certain on this one so I won't give an opinion on this one but let someone else give an explanation.

To be honest you can't go wrong from an outdoors perspective on either choice, also the powder outside SLC is amazing!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,588 times
Tacoma! I don't like SLC mostly because of air quality, I have Asthma and had to visit the ER twice while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City