Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM

456 posts, read 774,428 times

Advertisements

If you're really curious the Bureau of Economic Analysis actual publishes the regional price parity indices for the whole country.

BEA Regional Price Parity - Business Insider

or

BEA: News Release: Real Personal Income for States and Metropolitan Areas, 2008-2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:47 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
OK, yeah, cigarettes vary, because they are controlled substances, and tobacco states don't tax them like non-tobacco states.

But give me a break, cigarettes are not normal consumer goods. And you still would pay the same for cigarettes anywhere in the U.S. if you purchase online.
A pack in NYC cost almost tripple the cost here in GA; the difference is pretty profound. I remember paying a few dollars more in Miami as well.

Cigarettes are more of an instant gratification type of indulgence. People in NY may very well purchase them online to take advantage of the savings, but nobody that I know purchases cigarettes online.

That's sort of like ordering Advil for a headache that you already have online, or ordering dinner.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Somewhat distant note: 2014 Equilar Top 200 Highest Paid CEO Rankings | In the News

Mostly New York.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
A pack in NYC cost almost tripple the cost here in GA; the difference is pretty profound. I remember paying a few dollars more in Miami as well.
I'm sorry, but no, that makes no sense. Cigarettes are a regulated drug, and not representative of cost of living differences. If anything, they probably cost states like Georgia much more, because the state isn't getting revenue, and has to pay for all the resulting medical treatment.

The vast majority of people don't smoke, and just because a few tobacco states don't regulate the cigarette industry doesn't mean that they're cheaper states. Cost of living is based on stuff like food, housing, clothing, etc, not unusual or niche stuff like cigarettes or motor boats or whatever.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:

Cigarettes are more of an instant gratification type of indulgence. People in NY may very well purchase them online to take advantage of the savings, but nobody that I know purchases cigarettes online.

That's sort of like ordering Advil for a headache that you already have online, or ordering dinner.
Cigarettes and alcohol are special cases and they have vice taxes on them. If you wanna live near a place with very cheap cigarettes move next to an Indian reservation...
Regular groceries are a different matter altogether.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
just scrolling is crazy how male dominated this list is above

Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but no, that makes no sense. Cigarettes are a regulated drug, and not representative of cost of living differences. If anything, they probably cost states like Georgia much more, because the state isn't getting revenue, and has to pay for all the resulting medical treatment.

The vast majority of people don't smoke, and just because a few tobacco states don't regulate the cigarette industry doesn't mean that they're cheaper states. Cost of living is based on stuff like food, housing, clothing, etc, not unusual or niche stuff like cigarettes or motor boats or whatever.
I'm not arguing *why* they cost more, just the fact that they do.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 03-27-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing *why* they cost more, just that the fact that they do.
NYS has Indian reservations like Seneca Nation (not subject to state laws) and if you are a smoker that actually lives in the state you can get cigarettes cheaper than anywhere in the US, like $3.50 a pack. This has nothing to do with cost of living of course. Weed in Atlanta costs a lot more than SF for example...

Old 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't get it. 80k is the same in Atlanta, NYC, SF, Chicago, wherever. Now how you spend your 80k may vary, but it's all the same. You don't have "more money" because you move to an area with lower property values, though the things you buy might vary (like a bigger house).

And jeans, vegetables, dinner out, cars, etc. cost the same everywhere in the U.S. I have no idea what people are talking about re. differing prices for these items. You really think a pair of Gap jeans in Manhattan are priced differently than in Mississippi?
So you really think you are not doing any better if you make the same money living in NYC then move to Mississippi?
You REALLY think the higher taxes you pay in state income taxes and City income tax living in NYC versus living in MS is not giving you more disposable income?

Old 03-27-2015, 03:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Again, I don't know about Seattle, but this is not true for NYC at all. (otherwise people would just ship items from lets say Cleveland or ATL to NYC for resale, they are geographically close). All the groceries cost the same in NYC or Atlanta (NYC doesn't have sales tax on groceries either btw)...case in point Costco, Walmart, Best Buy, whatever, do not have separate websites for NYC or Atlanta. They have exactly the same prices on all of the products.

My local supermarket in Brooklyn has a branch out in the boonies, in Brodheadsville, PA. Their weekly sales papers prices on items match 1 for 1, even using the same graphics, from chicken breast, milk, ice cream, etc.
You are so wrong.I have been to Walmart within a few miles of each other and have seen some price differences.This is true even in local grocery stores.
I lived in NYC and I know for a fact that even though there is no sales tax on food ,the cost is higher on almost EVERYTHING in Atlanta.

Even on the websites most businesses have set prices there but can be different in the physical locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City