Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 41 55.41%
Greenville SC 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Oh, I'd take Charlotte over Orlando anyday. Better economy, far more stable, and I find the people much friendlier.
Maybe in the future. For now, Orlando is a much better fit for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Yea, I'm a native, and FL is cool for now. I have lived in NC so I know that there are really nice places out there so there are other options. I dont want to live in FL forever, but its cool for a while yet. I think of Charlotte as more "grown up". I kind of think of Orlando as kind of like a sister to Las Vegas. It just has that real transient, kind of unsettling feel. Like ppl are always coming and going. Almost like a pit stop for many ppl.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 AM
PDF

Quote:
Yea, I'm a native, and FL is cool for now. I have lived in NC so I know that there are really nice places out there so there are other options. I dont want to live in FL forever, but its cool for a while yet. I think of Charlotte as more "grown up". I kind of think of Orlando as kind of like a sister to Las Vegas. It just has that real transient, kind of unsettling feel. Like ppl are always coming and going. Almost like a pit stop for many ppl.
I'm a native as well. I just haven't lived in FL for a few years. I used to live in LA, so I know what that kind of feeling is like. Orlando might end up being a pit stop for me, but it could also turn into something long-term.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Ah ok. So those are a few good things. Here's what I know about Charlotte, that's actually close by (when I add it all up, it doesn't seem as bad).

-Strong Economy
-Nice Feeling Place
-Pro Sports
-US National Whitewater Center (looks cool)
-North Davidson neighborhood looks walkable (is it fun?)
-Carowinds Amusement Park
-Crowder's Mountain State Park
-OBX and Smokies are easy weekend trips
-SOME history (not a lot, but James K Polk, Billy Graham, NASCAR, etc.)
-Boating/Other Watersports on Lake Norman, Davidson has nice Main Street.

It seems like there are definitely still holes compared to some cities I'd look at, but when you consider all that, and the blessing it is to be in a first world city with a prime market for landing a job, there are definitely many worse places out there.

Any other things I should know about Charlotte if I ever visit? Reason I ask is that I pass through Charlotte often, and we have stopped to drive around Downtown before, and it just didn't seem like there was much to see and so I'd like to have some insider tips beforehand!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Ah ok. So those are a few good things. Here's what I know about Charlotte, that's actually close by (when I add it all up, it doesn't seem as bad).

-Strong Economy
-Nice Feeling Place
-Pro Sports
-US National Whitewater Center (looks cool)
-North Davidson neighborhood looks walkable (is it fun?)
-Carowinds Amusement Park
-Crowder's Mountain State Park
-OBX and Smokies are easy weekend trips
-SOME history (not a lot, but James K Polk, Billy Graham, NASCAR, etc.)
-Boating/Other Watersports on Lake Norman, Davidson has nice Main Street.

It seems like there are definitely still holes compared to some cities I'd look at, but when you consider all that, and the blessing it is to be in a first world city with a prime market for landing a job, there are definitely many worse places out there.

Any other things I should know about Charlotte if I ever visit? Reason I ask is that I pass through Charlotte often, and we have stopped to drive around Downtown before, and it just didn't seem like there was much to see and so I'd like to have some insider tips beforehand!
Charlotte is a much better place to live in that visit. It doesn't necessarily have unique tourist attractions, but everything it does offer in the way of amenities, cultural arts, and entertainment, combined with a strong economy, mild climate, and inexpensive COL makes for a powerful punch. That said, downtown (which is called Uptown locally) is booming with lots of new construction, as well as the South End district just south of Uptown across the I-277 loop. Check out that neighborhood along with others like Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, and NoDa to get a feel for the true heart and soul of Charlotte.

But back to Greenville and Orlando...

Old 05-20-2015, 12:52 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
It seems like there are definitely still holes compared to some cities I'd look at
Like what?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm a native as well. I just haven't lived in FL for a few years. I used to live in LA, so I know what that kind of feeling is like. Orlando might end up being a pit stop for me, but it could also turn into something long-term.

yea, thats cool. and i'm not bashing it in any way. there are lots of things i like about FL. but most of those evolve around my job and the ppl i work with (i love it) and my kids enjoy the entertainment its got. but as far as a great place for us to live long term, imo, there are better options for what WE like and what is important to us.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM
PDF

Quote:
yea, thats cool. and i'm not bashing it in any way. there are lots of things i like about FL. but most of those evolve around my job and the ppl i work with (i love it) and my kids enjoy the entertainment its got. but as far as a great place for us to live long term, imo, there are better options for what WE like and what is important to us.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But at least for me, all the things I like about FL and why I might settle down here long-term are all individual to me.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:17 PM

yep, everyone's different.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 AM

5 yrs ago I'd say Orlando based on entertainment.

As you get older, have kids.. things change. Other things become far more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City