Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 01:04 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I'm sorry,I don't care what anyone says,I've never seen a city with the population of Atlanta that was so rural and sparsely populated so close to downtown!! It seems as though Atlanta was,or is,so focused on developing a skyline they said to hell with the neighborhoods! What good is a nice skyline when the neighborhoods so close to it suck! I've heard so much about Atlanta over the last couple or so decades about how nice and top notch it is...but it's a big let down for me.Now areas like Buckhead are indeed impressive...why not put that same effort and energy in more of Atlantas neighborhoods. One would think after 4 decades of new development it would be much further along than it is;but there are basic things lacking like so many streets without sidewalks! I couldn't believe it...that was a culture shock! I can understand no sidewalks in exurbs 25 or 30 miles from downtown...but not in the inner city! How many counties does Atlanta include to get 6 million people? It's gotta be a heck of a lot 'cause you sure can't see any density there.I understand why some people say it's country.

I can tell you have either never been to Atlanta, or don't know it. From an urbanity standpoint, Buckhead is the least urban neighborhood in Atlanta.

People are definitely giving Atlanta a very hard time for no apparent reason.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:33 PM

63 posts, read 83,447 times
Yo Chiatldal and Mutiny77...I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers;I was just pointing out shortcomings I didn't expect to see in the core of the city,that's all.Now most people in this country know that Atlanta is probably the most,or one of the most,progressive cities in America which makes its shortcomings so glaring;now with that being said...I was taken to Inman Park and Grant Park.No doubt,they are nice parks in nice suburban looking neighborhoods.But nothing special or unique.Rode down Euclid threw Little Five Points and I asked my peeps;is this it! It was just the typical looking Bohemian neighborhood you find in many cities albeit on a smaller and less gritty scale...but still I liked it! I checked out the Old Fourth Ward,it was refreshing compared to driving down Joe Boone Ave.and Joe Lowery Ave.Now that area was more urban lookin' like one would think by it being so close to downtown.I liked it.And yeah,I was taken to Castleberry Hill,East Atlanta Village,Virginia Highland and they were all nice suburban looking neighborhoods with no shotgun house's but nice old homes.Now with that being said;even there,on some of those side streets,there were streets with no sidewalks! You see,I have a thing for sidewalks because I'm a urban jogger and jogging in the streets is very dangerous;ergo,I notice when they are missing.No slam on the ATL,I'm just pointing out realities. I'm sure with all the development constantly going on in the ATL the sidewalk issue will eventually be resolved.Also the further you go away from the core in any direction;the worst the sidewalk issue gets.The dense areas of ATL are hit and miss,a hodgepodge.Once they are connected,it'll kill those country pockets!There are far too many patches of wooded,rural like areas...believe me,I've traversed a LARGE part of the metro,I've seen it.Other than that;the ATL is comin' on strong!!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
Yo Chiatldal and Mutiny77...I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers;I was just pointing out shortcomings I didn't expect to see in the core of the city,that's all.Now most people in this country know that Atlanta is probably the most,or one of the most,progressive cities in America which makes its shortcomings so glaring;now with that being said...I was taken to Inman Park and Grant Park.No doubt,they are nice parks in nice suburban looking neighborhoods.But nothing special or unique.Rode down Euclid threw Little Five Points and I asked my peeps;is this it! It was just the typical looking Bohemian neighborhood you find in many cities albeit on a smaller and less gritty scale...but still I liked it! I checked out the Old Fourth Ward,it was refreshing compared to driving down Joe Boone Ave.and Joe Lowery Ave.Now that area was more urban lookin' like one would think by it being so close to downtown.I liked it.And yeah,I was taken to Castleberry Hill,East Atlanta Village,Virginia Highland and they were all nice suburban looking neighborhoods with no shotgun house's but nice old homes.Now with that being said;even there,on some of those side streets,there were streets with no sidewalks! You see,I have a thing for sidewalks because I'm a urban jogger and jogging in the streets is very dangerous;ergo,I notice when they are missing.No slam on the ATL,I'm just pointing out realities. I'm sure with all the development constantly going on in the ATL the sidewalk issue will eventually be resolved.Also the further you go away from the core in any direction;the worst the sidewalk issue gets.The dense areas of ATL are hit and miss,a hodgepodge.Once they are connected,it'll kill those country pockets!There are far too many patches of wooded,rural like areas...believe me,I've traversed a LARGE part of the metro,I've seen it.Other than that;the ATL is comin' on strong!!
So do you think atl is more progressive than H town.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 PM

63 posts, read 83,447 times
mrfoe,yes I do.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:53 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
There have been numerous other threads discussing this very topic. This thread is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City