Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times

Advertisements

It must be true. The longer I live here, the lazier I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Hmmmm interesting responses so far.

For those of you who have lived in both cold and warm/mild climates: Do you find it harder to get up and start your day in a colder climate?
No it's the same. Most people have fairly scheduled lives regardless of if it's hot or cold out that day. Not really sure why you think/worried having it cold outside means people must be lazy any more than having it be hot and muggy outside would make people lazy. I've never heard that before about cooler climates, although I have heard the opposite about living in very warm muggy environments.

People do different outdoor activities depending on the temperature, but that doesn't mean people just shut down or aren't just as busy regardless.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM

98 posts, read 132,569 times
What an odd question.

I guess because nothing ever gets done in cold weather cities like London, Paris and New York. I think you'd have an easier time arguing the opposite. Places with consistent warm weather year round tend to be economically depressed.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
According to the CDC, the answer is probably "no"...

Obesity Rate By State

Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I find that I feel more lethargic in summer than in winter. When it's hot and gross outside, I just want to be in the air conditioning. When autumn comes, I'm happier and have lots more energy.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I think it's the complete opposite. Once it gets above 80 I'll say, I find wanting to do anything rather vigorous outside besides swimming to be undesirable, especially in the sun.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 AM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Living where its four seasons my whole life. I don't get lazy. I still do as much as i do in the winter well maybe not as much but just enough. You cant stay in the house the whole time. I Actually like being out and about in the city. The vibe is COLD but its still fun in a way to me. If the temps are crazy like 10 degrees and lower if i dont have to be out i wont...but when you work you gotta do what you gotta do. Heck people work in it all day and night. Summer time i hate the sweat and sticky. I hang out a bit more because i dont want to be in the house on a nice summer night.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?
If you look at economic statistics, its exactly the opposite. The northern part of the country is usually economically better off than the southern, not just in the US. In Europe and Africa its the same way. (It is flipped at the equator, since the more south you go the colder it gets there).

Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Definitely not lazier to live in a colder climate, probably the other way is more correct. The difference is that in a colder climate, you will be more energetic in the summer than in a hot humid climate.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I know this sounds silly, but I am curious about this and also worried.

Would living in a cold city possibly make you lazier because you have to always be bundled up to go outside, even if it's just a block away. Can anyone who has lived in both cold and warm/mild climates care to elaborate on this? Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?

So do you think there's any truth to this? Or do people just use the cold as an excuse to be lazy?
Or could the cold perhaps motivate you to get up and do everything and be more productive than warm/mild weather?
NO.
From all indications colder cities are some of the most productive in the country, see the Twin Cities.

People use the cold as an excuse not to go outside, but many people are working inside and have nothing better to do but work.

I should note colder states tend to draw people who just do not like going outside as much anyway. But make no mistake, they are hitting the books when young and working long hours when old, just all inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City