Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

I can't believe the number of posters on here that are claiming San Francisco is the SECOND City of the United States. It jumped over Los Angeles AND Chicago. When did this happen!? San Francisco enjoys a nice 4th or 5th place at the national level in my honest opinion, and I think the overwhelming majority of Americans would agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
L.A. > SF. SF would be alpha in most other states, but not here. The fact that there are a couple of posters still arguing this (homers, btw) should tell you all you need to know about SF's inferiority complex, despite being a top 5 city. Lol, they always want more.

I personally find Dallas/Houston the more intriguing argument. THAT would be far more debate worthy than L.A./SF, imo.
Agreed. Houston and Dallas are more tied up than LA and San Francisco. There doesn't seem to be a clear front running city in Texas.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenixCity280 View Post
Columbus is the 2nd largest city in Georgia and has the largest corporate presence in the state outside of Metro Atlanta. Clearly, it's Georgia's 2nd city.
It's not just about corporate presence. It's not even all about GDP. Both are strong cases, yes, but there are more factors to consider when choosing a state's Second City.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is a total waste of energy^ that has zero substance, just your usual jealous instigating and nobody asked about Philly because nobody cares.

Sportscenter? lmao. Thats all you got? Yawns.
Do you you think San Francisco beats out NYC? Or is it second in the country to NYC?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Where is that Philadelphia is way better than NYC,Chicago, LA and SF clown at, SF has some legitimate claims to be number one in terms of finance and high tech companies but Philly is a joke.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I can't believe the number of posters on here that are claiming San Francisco is the SECOND City of the United States. It jumped over Los Angeles AND Chicago. When did this happen!? San Francisco enjoys a nice 4th or 5th place at the national level in my honest opinion, and I think the overwhelming majority of Americans would agree with me.
Agree with this.

San Francisco is a wonderful city. It's one of the few cities in the U.S. that are unique and unlike any other. It's one of the most popular cities in the U.S. internationally. However, there are three cities in the U.S. that are above it. New York, LA, and Chicago. San Francisco is a solid 4th in the country.

Quote:
Agreed. Houston and Dallas are more tied up than LA and San Francisco. There doesn't seem to be a clear front running city in Texas.
I agree with this. I personally think Houston is Texas' first city but a strong case could be made for the DFW area. Texas' two largest metro areas are much more evenly matched than LA and San Francisco.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Much as I love the Warriors, Sportscenter is broadcasting out of L.A.--NOT San Francisco. Just one real world example on this 25th of April, 2015.
Who broke you?

And I thought Bay Area posters were the kings and queens of severely overstating the importance of some random meaningless occurrence...

Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Do you you think San Francisco beats out NYC? Or is it second in the country to NYC?
What does this query have to do with my comment you quoted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Atheist
Who broke you?

And I thought Bay Area posters were the
kings and queens of severely overstating
the importance of some random
meaningless occurrence...
Exactly. Their arguments are largely nonsensical.

I never said that SF beats LA on the national or global level, but as far as actual influence within the borders of the State of California, SF is not really 2nd to LA, they both lead the state and we have proven that.

LA by virtue of it's size and SF by virtue of it's concentration of power.

They dont want to admit it, but its true.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. I personally think Houston is Texas' first city but a strong case could be made for the DFW area. Texas' two largest metro areas are much more evenly matched than LA and San Francisco.
Metro-wise, it's debatable.

If we're JUST talking about the individual city, it's Houston first, Dallas second.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:19 PM

76 posts, read 151,843 times
New York: Buffalo
California: Is this first/second city based on size alone? That certainly would have an impact, but I think once an area reaches a certain size, comparisons are a moot point. LA and San Fran have both reached that size IMO. I honestly think San Fran is the more important city, but it is very close. So LA second.
Texas: Another incredibly close one, Houston and Dallas are very similar in so many ways. Having spent time in both, I have to give the edge to Dallas. Houston second.
Florida: Tampa
Georgia: Savannah
South Carolina: Greenville
North Carolina: Raleigh/Durham
Tennessee: Memphis
Ohio: Cleveland, behind Cincinnati (Columbus is right there too, they are all very close)
Michigan: Grand Rapids
Colorado: Colorado Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City