Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times

Advertisements

Most does Chicago "Most American" mean? What the hell is most American even mean, that makes no sense. Probably one of the dumbest things in an article I have ever read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Ah, so we agree! Chicago, for being 1,000 miles or more from any Latin American country, does pretty well in attracting people from that region. Miami, for being less than 100 miles from the nearest Latin American country, also does pretty well at attracting people from that region. One is impressive, the other is a no-brainer.
Having a large Mexican population, regardless of where your location in the United States is not an impressive feat. Technically Mexican people are no worse than the second largest minority group in practically every city and every state OR have a large population everywhere else they aren't first or second largest minority group (save for New England and Southeast Florida). In addition to that, Mexico is a North American country that shares a border that is probably longer than 1,000 continuous miles with the United States. It is not impressive, nor shocking, nor unexpected when places have a large Mexican population (like Chicago). The United States in general has a profound cultural and social connection with both Canada and Mexico, it North American neighbors to the north and south of it. This has led to an expected exchange in immigrants and tourism between the three countries, hell, most travel fares to either country is significantly cheaper than to practically any other country from the United States and the travel plans are more limitless too.

Now if you want to talk about impressive, then it is impressive how people from further removed places (both culturally and physically) end up in large numbers where they do. In Chicago's case, aside from the Puerto Ricans (whom are fluidly able to move at will since Puerto Rico is in America), Chicago's total Hispanic population (combined) outside of Mexico is ridiculously weak, not just for a city of its size but for any size. It is weak.

By the way, when I said location, I didn't mean relative to anywhere foreign. I just meant location as in location. Miami is on the Atlantic, well technically on Biscayne Bay and Miami Beach is on the Atlantic and that is to one side. On the otherside is the biosphere created by the Everglades and land is only 20 miles wide at its widest point. Miami is an excellent place to be outdoors, lots of recreational/water activities and marine life here that you cannot have back in Chicago.

Even as additional perks, Miami's coastal location is a huge center for cruises, boats, and ferries. You can choose to travel to Caribbean countries like that if that is what you want. Again, sound limitations here in this aspect for Chicago.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most does Chicago "Most American" mean? What the hell is most American even mean, that makes no sense. Probably one of the dumbest things in an article I have ever read.
I think of Chicago as being the quintessential American city as well. I don't think it's dumb at all.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
An metropolitan area that has a robust economy, real jobs, and a sizable middle class that doesn't feel third world with a nice tree canopy. Atlanta may not attract the expats or global appeal that Miami does(not surprising, Miami is a beach resort city), but it's livable.
I was speaking more towards the notion that there isn't much else to Miami, besides the beach.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Having a large Mexican population, regardless of where your location in the United States is not an impressive feat. Technically Mexican people are no worse than the second largest minority group in practically every city and every state OR have a large population everywhere else they aren't first or second largest minority group (save for New England and Southeast Florida). In addition to that, Mexico is a North American country that shares a border that is probably longer than 1,000 continuous miles with the United States. It is not impressive, nor shocking, nor unexpected when places have a large Mexican population (like Chicago). The United States in general has a profound cultural and social connection with both Canada and Mexico, it North American neighbors to the north and south of it. This has led to an expected exchange in immigrants and tourism between the three countries, hell, most travel fares to either country is significantly cheaper than to practically any other country from the United States and the travel plans are more limitless too.

Now if you want to talk about impressive, then it is impressive how people from further removed places (both culturally and physically) end up in large numbers where they do. In Chicago's case, aside from the Puerto Ricans (whom are fluidly able to move at will since Puerto Rico is in America), Chicago's total Hispanic population (combined) outside of Mexico is ridiculously weak, not just for a city of its size but for any size. It is weak.

By the way, when I said location, I didn't mean relative to anywhere foreign. I just meant location as in location. Miami is on the Atlantic, well technically on Biscayne Bay and Miami Beach is on the Atlantic and that is to one side. On the otherside is the biosphere created by the Everglades and land is only 20 miles wide at its widest point. Miami is an excellent place to be outdoors, lots of recreational/water activities and marine life here that you cannot have back in Chicago.

Even as additional perks, Miami's coastal location is a huge center for cruises, boats, and ferries. You can choose to travel to Caribbean countries like that if that is what you want. Again, sound limitations here in this aspect for Chicago.
I agree. There are literally Mexicans everywhere in this country. They are a dime a dozen. The more impressive feat is sizable Argentine, Brazilian and Cuban populations. Now those nationalities are hard to come by.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM

591 posts, read 781,623 times
People go to Miami for the resorts and beaches not for the city. There is not one single thing in Chicago that attracts tourists, it is all the little things that come together and make Chicago great which attracts 50 million people a year.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:12 PM

591 posts, read 781,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Having real Americana culture, and a lot of it. Not called "The Capital of The World" or "City of Celebrities" etc, It is an accurate display of blue collar and white collar America.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
People go to Miami for the resorts and beaches not for the city. There is not one single thing in Chicago that attracts tourists, it is all the little things that come together and make Chicago great which attracts 50 million people a year.
If people came for our beaches and resorts, why wouldn't Naples, FL be on this list

People come for the city too, or should I say what the city offers. One big offering is nightlife, which is probably the best in the USA after NYC, certainly better than Chicago's. They come for Cuban culture (a lot of tourists insist on going to Little Havana neighborhood). They come to experience the lifestyle (exotic cars, Miami fashion).

What do people come to Chicago for? To see a ballgame? To go to the Willis tower? To eat a hot dog or deep dish pizza? To see the bean?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think of Chicago as being the quintessential American city as well. I don't think it's dumb at all.
What does that even mean but quintessential America. Most Americans can't even agree the sky is blue.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Having real Americana culture, and a lot of it. Not called "The Capital of The World" or "City of Celebrities" etc, It is an accurate display of blue collar and white collar America.
Most Americans can't even agree on if grass is green. No such thing as American culture anyway. People say that about the South as well, its the true America it sounds so dumb and hillbilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City