Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

I think tourists visit Miami for the city. Honestly, the beaches, while good, are not close to the best in Florida. Somewhere like Naples has much better beaches. And there aren't that many "resorts" in Miami. The Cancun-style all-inclusive type compounds aren't common (in fact I can't think of any such properties).

People are usually visiting Miami to experience the city. The beach is the same everywhere in Florida along the Atlantic coast, and everywhere in Florida has hotels, but only Miami has South Beach. If you just want the beach, you can go anywhere in coastal Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most Americans can't even agree on if grass is green. No such thing as American culture anyway. People say that about the South as well, its the true America it sounds so dumb and hillbilly.
I think when they say Chicago is most "all American" that it is closest to the true America than the other great American cities.

Miami is too foreign, NYC is just a totally different lifestyle, LA and SF are their own unique places. But Chicago kind of comes closest to average American life. It's the dominant king of the Midwest, and the Midwest is stereotypically the most "average, all-American" region of the U.S. Someplace like Hawaii or the Hamptons or Key West or SF or Maine don't really feel "average".

Old 04-17-2015, 03:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
This is the third thread I've seen in just over a month with Miami vs Chicago discussions and they have been ugly at that.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think tourists visit Miami for the city. Honestly, the beaches, while good, are not close to the best in Florida. Somewhere like Naples has much better beaches. And there aren't that many "resorts" in Miami. The Cancun-style all-inclusive type compounds aren't common (in fact I can't think of any such properties).

People are usually visiting Miami to experience the city. The beach is the same everywhere in Florida along the Atlantic coast, and everywhere in Florida has hotels, but only Miami has South Beach. If you just want the beach, you can go anywhere in coastal Florida.
no its a combination of beach and nightlife etc.

Without the Beach Miami is not close to what it is

And no all-inclusives not the draw there - its not a family area per se Maybe some areas in Lauderdale

And Fountainbleau is a huge facility but definitely not all-inclusive

Cnacun is a completely different animal with their resorts all inclusive style and even more diffent in riveiera maya with the huge resorts totally self contained

Old 04-17-2015, 04:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
People go to Miami for the resorts and beaches not for the city. There is not one single thing in Chicago that attracts tourists, it is all the little things that come together and make Chicago great which attracts 50 million people a year.
Yeah, by no means am I suggesting that Chicago is a terrible city for leisure but the things it offers are more hidden (they don't stand out for either the United States or the world).

Great food scene. Great architecture (for the Western Hemisphere at-large). Great airport. Great neighborhoods. Great nightlife. Great stack of amenities in general. Great music scene. Great shopping corridor. Great diversity in the job market. Great annual events. Great cultural institutions (museums, galleries, libraries). Great universities. Great suburbs (like the North Shore). Pretty "decent" cost of living (suspiciously high in terms of some taxes and low in terms of housing prices). Wonderful waterfront. Massive streetscape.

Lots of things to do and see and enjoy.

Just nothing that actually screams "this is Chicago" because you can technically have a lot of those overlapping commonalities in other cities in the country. Which is why I think it registers less to those overseas than it does nationally here in the United States; at least compared to New York, Los Angeles, or Miami.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
no its a combination of beach and nightlife etc.

Without the Beach Miami is not close to what it is
If that's the case, then why do people go to Miami, if there are far better beaches in Florida?

Why isn't Naples a glamorous, global resort destination? The beaches in Naples are far better than those of Miami, yet Naples is a sleepy retirement community for Midwesterners. The Panhandle has far better beaches, but honestly much of the Panhandle is kind of dumpy.

The main appeal of Miami is South Beach, IMO. The beaches themselves are unremarkable. If I only wanted a beach vacation, I would be pretty crazy to choose Miami. Somewhere like Cancun/Riveria Maya absolutely destroys Miami in terms of the beaches, and is much cheaper.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If that's the case, then why do people go to Miami, if there are far better beaches in Florida?

Why isn't Naples a glamorous, global resort destination? The beaches in Naples are far better than those of Miami, yet Naples is a sleepy retirement community for Midwesterners. The Panhandle has far better beaches, but honestly much of the Panhandle is kind of dumpy.

The main appeal of Miami is South Beach, IMO. The beaches themselves are unremarkable. If I only wanted a beach vacation, I would be pretty crazy to choose Miami. Somewhere like Cancun/Riveria Maya absolutely destroys Miami in terms of the beaches, and is much cheaper.
the main appeal is the beach communities and what they offer without the beach they would not exist

S Beach is what it is because of the combination remove the beach and well its just not the same and never would have and the beaches of Miami are not bad at all I think beaches on the gulf cast are nicer beaches but Miami is not bad at all and the city definitely adds but it would not be what it is without the beach in the first place

honestly the beaches themselves are nicer then riviera maya but a different audience or vacation type

maybe S Beach will get a congo bongo

Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
What does that even mean but quintessential America. Most Americans can't even agree the sky is blue.
I guess if you don't get it, you don't get it. It's hard to explain but after going to the Chicago History Museum, all I could think was "Chicago is definitely the most "American" big city - especially through its history.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
honestly the beaches themselves are nicer then riviera maya but a different audience or vacation type
Wait, what??

You have VERY unique opinions on beaches. No one thinks Miami has great beaches, even for Florida standards, but now you're claiming Miami even tops the best Caribbean beaches? Huh?

Why do you think people even bother traveling to the Carribean, if the beaches are so bad? Why not just go to the Atlantic instead of bothering flying to Aruba? Any town along the Atlantic will top the white sand beaches, gorgeous reefs, and incredible blue seas of the Carribean, according to you.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Without the beaches, Miami wouldn't be what it is today. But to the same token, why folks visit Miami, goes far beyond just the physical beach it's self, and entails the urban amenities on the island Miami Beach. The beach has always been there, yet tourism was stagnant for various periods(1960's-1970's). Tourism in Miami was never as big as it is today. What changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City