Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:06 AM

330 posts, read 431,977 times

Advertisements

As an expat my list in order before I moved to the U.S. would have been

San Diego
LA
San Francisco
New York
DC
Miami
Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 AM

330 posts, read 431,977 times
I don't think expats have Dallas or Atlanta on their list. Outside of the U.S. most people don't really know much about these cities.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm boosting Miami since there is so much hate towards it on this forum, for whatever reason. But besides that, it's an interesting study, especially when it mixes American cities along with world cities.

And of course they can, its called surveys. We can ask an expat where he'd want to live, and that's what they did. Hence these percentages. It's no different than surveys before an election, or exit polls to predict the outcome of an election or attitude surveys of people for certain political issues.
I hate to break this to you SDP, but the cities that recieve a lot of hate on these forums do so because of the posters who are boosting them. There is nothing wrong with boosting your city, but you really do take it to a whole new level of elitism and bashing when someone does not agree with you.

The more you personally try to boost Miami the way you do, the more everyone on here is gonna hate it.

You seem intelligent and I wouldn't mind reading your posts so often if you didn't have such a harsh and unappealing attitude towards criticism.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM

282 posts, read 350,494 times
Expats certainly have great taste. The top 10 cities is pretty much along the lines of the best cities in the world to live (if you can afford it), IMO.

They're all very expensive though so not practical to most.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM

282 posts, read 350,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Any state with good welfare is where the foreigners flock
I am going to bet that the people surveyed are wealthier and more educated than you. Look at who they surveyed.

And Western Europeans were the largest group surveyed.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-11-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 04:47 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I hate to break this to you SDP, but the cities that recieve a lot of hate on these forums do so because of the posters who are boosting them. There is nothing wrong with boosting your city, but you really do take it to a whole new level of elitism and bashing when someone does not agree with you.
That's fair but it's due to me posting an article on Miami and people acting indignant how Miami, this Latin American city in the USA, can get such a high mark.

Miami was bashed here before I made an account, and I don't even see any boosters (besides me). Polo is very mild, almost concedes every point made not to be argumentative.

Anyways, an example of the Miami hate in this forum, was the recent walk score thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ike-score.html)

Miami did very well, getting a 5th position, right behind Philadelphia and besting Chicago. And sure enough there was people complaining. The first post to mention Miami was

Quote:
How is Miami's walk score so high? Can someone please explain, thank you
And the explanation?

Quote:
Basically what the prior poster said, this measurement counts city proper only, and Miami is only 35 sq mi of land.
That same 'complaint' can be used to discredit San Francisco as well, which by land area is only a bit bigger than Miami.

And on, Miami cannot do well on this forum, people on CD are incredulous to it.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:59 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I don't think expats have Dallas or Atlanta on their list. Outside of the U.S. most people don't really know much about these cities.
Bingo, what many people in the US fail to realize is that cities like Austin, Dallas, Denver & co... are not appealing to foreigners at all... There is a reason why coastal large liberal cities have the higest percentage of foreigners not coming from Latin america...
As a foreigner, my list would be:
1 -> NYC
2 -> London - SF (Lived in London, was in east London, borough of Redbridge, and west London (Paddington, not far from Notting hill)).
3 -> Boston
4 -> Toronto
5 -> DC
6 -> Brussels (used to go to Brussels a.k.a Bx) every week (having a European passport is really helpful)
7. Paris (Grew up there...)

Having a European citizenship is really great... Can move to Bx, London, paris... anytime without bothering about immgration.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That was kind of the point, which you completely missed.

This is a review of preferred destinations by expats and foreigners, not a review of preferred destinations for poor Americans eligible for welfare.

People choosing to move to foreign countries on a whim are typically wealthy or going for work, and new immigrants of all types usually aren't eligible for govt. aid in the first place, because aid requires a social security number.
So, in short, no one answering this poll is coming to a country for "welfare". If they were, countries like Sweden and Denmark would be at the top of the list, and the US, UK and Australia would be at the bottom of the list. Instead, the opposite is true.
BUT NOLA...THERE ARE PLENTY OF LATINO IMMIGRANTS ON WELFARE WHO MOVED INTO SMALL OLD ROW HOME TOWNS AROUND ME IN PA, FROM BIGGER CITIES. FOR BETTER PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND CHEAP HOUSING. MANY EASILY SEEM TO GET WELFARE, IF THEY HAVE CHILDREN.

In Denmark, you have a place where you are taxed to the mean. A cultural norm reminds everybody that they are no better than everybody else, so you're not going to choose your career path based on status. You're in a place where a garbage man makes as much as a lawyer.
Since 2000, immigration to Denmark remained the same. Norway and Sweden’s immigration figures have doubled. The increase in immigration to Norway after 2005 is due to the large numbers immigrating for work, particularly since the expansion of the EU in 2004. Sweden also has the highest percentage of foreign-born in Scandinavia, with 15% of the population in 2012, compared with 10% on average for the EU.

Foreigners are 13% of the population in the United States, in the U.S. Census Bureau for 2012. that's 13 percent, or 40 million persons out of about 300 million, is the largest number of foreign born since 1920. The largest group of foreigners are Mexicans and Latin Americans.
So by % of population. Sweden's immigration is higher. But most are still from other EU countries. The EU total is lower at 10%.

Australia has a whopping over 26% of the population born overseas and this is the highest since 1901. In the 1947, nearly 90 percent of the total population of Australia was exclusively Australian-born. THOUGH IN POPULATION AUSTRALIA IS SMALL. BY SIZE, IT IS BIG. Much larger then smaller Sweden. That has a climate more like Alaska's.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
That's fair but it's due to me posting an article on Miami and people acting indignant how Miami, this Latin American city in the USA, can get such a high mark.

Miami was bashed here before I made an account, and I don't even see any boosters (besides me). Polo is very mild, almost concedes every point made not to be argumentative.
Anyways, an example of the Miami hate in this forum, was the recent walk score thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ike-score.html)
It wasn't Miami HATE? That heated other threads. It was YOU BLASTING AND DEMEANING others comments on other cities. If they did not place Miami, as the center of the Universe? Miami is called the "Capitol of Latin America" especially its Rich to play and have a condo downtown or city of Miami Beach you live and poorer immigrants But IS NOT FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD. Miami Beach is a Resort city. As that, it gets plenty of wealthy tourist.

The rest of us have the rest of Florida's whole coast, of beaches and other attractions to boast about our enjoyment in Florida.

Miami the city suffers as many others from a high % of Poor. Il's not ALL.... a Miami Beach and Palm Springs. Many times it is the way we disagree with others? That STIRS A THREAD UP. If so many others you anger in your replies? Is it really all them and Miami Hate? Many other threads with Miami I saw. Were you against All the rest. I too have to watch how I post if I get heated too.

Someone else gave a similar assessment of how YOU Post. STIRS things up... and in not just Miami vs. threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post

The more you personally try to boost Miami the way you do, the more everyone on here is gonna hate it.
You seem intelligent and I wouldn't mind reading your posts so often if you didn't have such a harsh and unappealing attitude towards criticism.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
How is asking "how is miami walk score so high" hate? You're ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City