Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:42 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times

Advertisements

Why don't you follow the posting history and see who I was responding to?

BigLake. He was the first one who brought Chicago into this conversation. Not me. I don't care about Chicago tbh, it's an unimportant city to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Is English your first language?
That's your feedback? No poor grammar comment to? If you don't like my comment on THE REST OF US ENJOY ALL FLORIDA not merely Miami? Surely say so. I say nothing against Tampa I'd love to visit more of Florida. Still was Just Ft Lauderdale, Miami and Key West. Enjoyed it

Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Big Lake merely said it was embarrassing Chicago wasn't higher?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I don't know what the provenance or how much credibility is associated with this report, but this is an incredibly embarrassing showing for Chicago.
You then commented back to him with this ⤵ added fuel to get it going on Chicago and then others chimed in.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's to be expected, expats don't know much about Chicago. It's kind of a city in the middle of nowhere, with cold winters and no 'sex' appeal. So on a survey, why would anyone declare they want to live there?

Now when the chips fall on the table, and they realize that the lucrative job will be in Chicago, or something like this, they will move there and give it a shot.
Then came this defense for Chicago⤵
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What on Earth are you talking about? Chicago is an amazing cultural mecca and cosmopolitan city that's seen a dozen generations of immigration from all over the world. It's just not THE mecca at the current moment, but that doesn't mean it's this no-mans-land you claim it to be.
I'd venture to guess that it's more world-renown than Miami, for instance.
Quote:
You'd venture wrong then.
It was going then..... but I then commented

Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
That's your feedback? No poor grammar comment to? If you don't like my comment on THE REST OF US ENJOY ALL FLORIDA not merely Miami? Surely say so. I say nothing against Tampa I'd love to visit more of Florida. Still was Just Ft Lauderdale, Miami and Key West. Enjoyed it
Was just asking. It's a simple question really. You seem to have another first language besides English and I just wanted to say that you are doing a good job.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Was just asking. It's a simple question really. You seem to have another first language besides English and I just wanted to say that you are doing a good job.
grow up, so childish.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Chicago posters come in, whine Chicago is not on list, say it's embarrassing to be behind Miami, a third world resort City.

Red John comes in, asks why Chicago should be on list. Very mild and factual defense.

You come in and say, damn you're always ragging on Chicago. Let me guess, you're from Chicago
No, I'm from Atlanta. I just noticed that Red John has been blasting Chicago for underperforming relative to it's population position in the county and what was once a booming metropolis. I agree with him totally, but it seems he does it a lot.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
You'd venture wrong then.
Oh? Enlighten me.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Oh? Enlighten me.
Instead, why don't you prove your point. How is Chicago more famous than Miami?

This list you see here, while not a direct gauge, is an indirect one. Expats will only vote to live in a city if they heard about it, and know enough about it that they'd think they'd like it. International tourist statistics are another gauge. In both, Chicago does a lot worse than Miami. Someone from Europe, I can also vouch, that Miami is better known there than Chicago.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Why don't you follow the posting history and see who I was responding to?

BigLake. He was the first one who brought Chicago into this conversation. Not me. I don't care about Chicago tbh, it's an unimportant city to me.
What are you talking about?

Go back and look at my original post. I made a general and innocuous comment (it was actually criticizing Chicago)-- that did not include a single negative reference to Miami-- about how Chicago should be disappointed in the survey results. Don't blame me for your trolling.

Here is my exact post:
I don't know what the provenance or how much credibility is associated with this report, but this is an incredibly embarrassing showing for Chicago.
Then you chimed in with a passive-aggressive response about Chicago. I then simply responded to your post that was bashing Chicago. And, yes, if you're going to bash Chicago, I'll certainly defend it.

You Miamians really seem to have an axe to grind with Chicago. What's up? There is one hell of an insecurity complex you are showing.

SDP Miami-- if you are going to fan the flames and troll, you need to be accountable for what you post. You seem to be the biggest instigator in this thread (and others). Great that you're a fan of Miami, but don't bring other cities down to try to make yours more appealing. It's not a zero-sum game.

BTW-- just saw what Steeps wrote. Thanks, your account of the thread seems pretty accurate.

Last edited by BigLake; 04-16-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Then you chimed in with a passive-aggressive response about Chicago. I then simply responded to your post that was bashing Chicago.
What's passive aggressive about telling you why Chicago didn't make the list. You asked a question, I told you straight why.

In fact your initial question was passive aggressive. Since to be embarrassed about Chicago scoring below NYC, LA, MIA, SFran means you believed there was 1 or more cities who didn't belong above it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City