Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Instead, why don't you prove your point. How is Chicago more famous than Miami?

This list you see here, while not a direct gauge, is an indirect one. Expats will only vote to live in a city if they heard about it, and know enough about it that they'd think they'd like it. International tourist statistics are another gauge. In both, Chicago does a lot worse than Miami. Someone from Europe, I can also vouch, that Miami is better known there than Chicago.
I said I'd venture to GUESS, you said I was wrong, so you can prove it.

Tourism may be one of the ONLY measures where Miami is higher-ranking than Chicago on any kind of a worldly scale. Aside from tourism and maybe Hispanic population, I can't think of how else Miami has the edge over Chicago -- it's Apples to Bananas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You guys are right. There are zero European (or African, Asian, or Latin) expats in Dallas or Atlanta or any where else that hasn't been deemed suitable by the above posts. Yup, ZERO. /sarcasm
yup, the expat population in ATL is equal to the one of let say Toronto...

Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I said I'd venture to GUESS, you said I was wrong, so you can prove it.

Tourism may be one of the ONLY measures where Miami is higher-ranking than Chicago on any kind of a worldly scale. Aside from tourism and maybe Hispanic population, I can't think of how else Miami has the edge over Chicago -- it's Apples to Bananas.
Well, you can add another, an expat preference list largely done for W. European expats.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
What's passive aggressive about telling you why Chicago didn't make the list. You asked a question, I told you straight why.

In fact your initial question was passive aggressive. Since to be embarrassed about Chicago scoring below NYC, LA, MIA, SFran means you believed there was 1 or more cities who didn't belong above it
You are way off base here. Read the exchange again above.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
What's passive aggressive about telling you why Chicago didn't make the list. You asked a question, I told you straight why.

In fact your initial question was passive aggressive. Since to be embarrassed about Chicago scoring below NYC, LA, MIA, SFran means you believed there was 1 or more cities who didn't belong above it
CHICAGO DID make the list in the Top 10 competing with RESORT CITIES.... MIGHTY NYC AS INTERNATIONAL VISITOR, FIRST NONE RESORT CHOICE. REALLY....ALL TELLING YOU HOW YOU ARE AND GET WITH THEM.... KEEP GOING AT CHICAGO TELLING THEM .....ALWAYS HOW UNWORTHY AND A HAS BEEN IT IS WE SHOW YOU HOW VIBRANT MOST CHICAGO IS ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN AND HOW TOTALLY, TOURIST KEEP INCREASING ....AND GIVING HIGH REVIEWS ON TOURIST FEEDBACK SIGHTS. LIKE TRAVELADVISOR.

AGAIN CHICAGO IS IN THIS LIST OF INTERNATIONAL TOURIST NUMBERS

Top U.S. States and Cities Visited by Overseas Travelers, 2013
1.New York 9.58 million ............Capitol of the World
2.Miami,4.01 million .................Resort
3.Los Angeles 3.78 million .........Hollywood
4.Orlando 3.71 million ...............Resort
5.San Francisco 3.00 million .......Boutique city
6.Las Vegas 2.85 million ............Resort
7.Honolulu 2.56 ........................Resort
8.Washington, DC 1.70 million ...Capitol of a Nation
9.Chicago 1.38 ......................"Most American City"
10.Boston 1.28 million................Top University city

Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
The data chart doesn't specify what region of the globe was surveyed. If the majority of persons polled are from Europe for example wouldn't that favor certain cities that have more of a cultural connection to the region polled? Example, if this poll was conducted in the Far East Miami for example would be off the list. I'm just wondering if there was a equal participation in this poll from different parts of the world?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:56 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The data chart doesn't specify what region of the globe was surveyed. If the majority of persons polled are from Europe for example wouldn't that favor certain cities that have more of a cultural connection to the region polled? Example, if this poll was conducted in the Far East Miami for example would be off the list. I'm just wondering if there was a equal participation in this poll from different parts of the world?
Here you go for more detail : BCG: London, New York and Paris best working cities | Consultancy.uk

Germany had the most residents surveyed. Followed by Mexico. However at least 1 expat from 189 countries were surveyed.

I don't know why you think Miami is unheard in the "far east", in Japan at least everyone knows about Miami and wants me to take them there. When I say Miami, their eyes light up. I doubt they'd do that for any other city but maybe NYC and LA.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Quote:
Here you go for more detail : BCG: London, New York and Paris best working cities | Consultancy.uk

Germany had the most residents surveyed. Followed by Mexico. However at least 1 expat from 189 countries were surveyed.

I don't know why you think Miami is unheard in the "far east", in Japan at least everyone knows about Miami and wants me to take them there. When I say Miami, their eyes light up. I doubt they'd do that for any other city but maybe NYC and LA.
Not saying it's unheard of but I'm sure you can admit that compared to other large US cities Miami is further down the list for notoriety. There is more to Asia than Japan.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

International visitors numbers Mighty NYC takes 1/3 CHICAGO JUST HAS NYC AS A "WORLDS CITY NOW" like London and Paris. Has it take 1st choice. CHICAGO HAS TO COMPETE WITH NYC. IT DOES NOT COMPETE WITH ...RESORTCITIES ....FOR TOURIST. EXCEPT FOR CONVENTIONS.
Top U.S. States and Cities Visited by Overseas Travelers, 2013
1.New York 9.58 million ............Capitol of the World
2.Miami,4.01 million .................Resort
3.Los Angeles 3.78 million .........Hollywood
4.Orlando 3.71 million ...............Resort
5.San Francisco 3.00 million .......Boutique city
6.Las Vegas 2.85 million ............Resort
7.Honolulu 2.56 ........................Resort
8.Washington, DC 1.70 million ...Capitol of a Nation
9.Chicago 1.38 ......................"Most American City"
10.Boston 1.28 million................Top University city
So explain this concept to me, since you get it; what is there to be proud of with this list?

In your world do you look at this list and just like it because Chicago managed to crack the top ten? When I look at it all I see is the third largest city/metropolis in America finishing six spots lower at ninth.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
I can't think of how else Miami has the edge over Chicago
Location for starters.
Quote:
maybe Hispanic population
There is no maybe about it. When it comes to their respective Hispanic populations, in every group, every facet, every socioeconomic tier -- Miami's Hispanic culture and population topples that of Chicago's.

The only group Chicago has in abundance that Miami lacks is a Mexican population; that also happens to be literally like the only group Chicago has too, with a bit of Puerto Rico, that is about it.

Sort of limited scope, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City