Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 PM

366 posts, read 404,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
What's interesting is the one of the more common criticisms of Los Angeles is that large swaths of the city feel foreign and are described in a way that usually carries a negative connotation. But when the question is asked with a positive connotation, as seen in this thread, that same place rarely gets offered.
And?

Something negative that is rightfully criticized doesn't just become a positive because of how a thread is worded on an internet forum page.

The large swaths of slummy areas in LA doesn't become any more desirable because it doesn't feel American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
And?

Something negative that is rightfully criticized doesn't just become a positive because of how a thread is worded on an internet forum page.

The large swaths of slummy areas in LA doesn't become any more desirable because it doesn't feel American.
Interesring. Now try to write something coherent.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Interesring. Now try to write something coherent.
You should have quoted your own posts in order to not make this sound so ironic. Spelling things correctly might help as well.

Last edited by KaneKane; 04-23-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You should have quoted your own posts in order to not make this sound so ironic. Spelling things correctly might help as well.
He writes after editing. And misusing the word "ironic". But just a tremendous post!

I’ll help you out. You’re trying to claim Los Angeles simultaneously feels like a foreign country AND feeling like it exists within the US. It doesn’t depend on how the question is framed, only what bias you are trying to justify. Next time, just ask for help.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
He writes after editing. And misusing the word "ironic". But just a tremendous post!

I’ll help you out. You’re trying to claim Los Angeles simultaneously feels like a foreign country AND feeling like it exists within the US. It doesn’t depend on how the question is framed, only what bias you are trying to justify. Next time, just ask for help.
I edited the post because I realized this forum has a PG language rule. I edited a part out because I knew it was going to make you cry and get me in trouble. It was quite predictable that you were going to use the editing part as an excuse so I did have to think about it a little though.

I don't even understand what the hell that last sentence was suppose to mean. Before making ironic posts about how others are "misusing" the word ironic, maybe you should learn a bit about how much space to put in between sentences. When you are not busy misspelling words you should have been taught in elementary school that is. Or after figuring out punctuation use.

Speaking of foreign countries, your display of English could very well have been excused if you actually were from a foreign country. But I'm pretty sure you are from around Los Angeles. So maybe that's where all this bitterness comes from.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I edited the post because I realized this forum has a PG language rule. I edited a part out because I knew it was going to make you cry and get me in trouble. It was quite predictable that you were going to use the editing part as an excuse so I did have to think about it a little though
Well, I'm happy that got you thinking. But mostly that you didn't make me cry or get yourself in trouble.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:35 PM

Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
Honolulu tops the list for me by far.

However, if I could pick anywhere in the US where people live, I would pick Little Diomede, AK. I've never been there obviously as it's one of the hardest places to get to but I can't imagine being any more different than the US while being in the US than there. It's on an island in the Bearing Straight about 2.5 miles from Russia, 1 mile from the international date line, no banks, and no grocery stores, and it's believed to be 3,000 years old. Oh, they also use a community "washeteria" that serves them with laundry machines and showers.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Basically, there is no city in the United States where the children of immigrants are not expected to learn English (if they don't know it already) and eventually assimilate with mainstream American society.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Basically, there is no city in the United States where the children of immigrants are not expected to learn English (if they don't know it already) and eventually assimilate with mainstream American society.
sort of sounds like the late owner of Genos in S Philly

That said America is a melting pot that blends new cultures, probably always will to an extent. That said Spanish is more common then ever though few especially second generation do not assimilate into English. We are lucky in a sense that we have the native world business language. Nearly all the Int'l corporate world does Int'l business in English unless the only participants are of some other primary language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City