Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you want to live in the most?
Holland, MI 4 2.38%
Fort Collins, CO 3 1.79%
Provo, UT 3 1.79%
Honolulu, HI 29 17.26%
Sioux Falls, SD 0 0%
Des Moines, IA 1 0.60%
Barnstable, MA 1 0.60%
Portland, ME 3 1.79%
San Luis Obispo, CA 18 10.71%
Boulder, CO 12 7.14%
Madison, WI 10 5.95%
Lincoln, NE 1 0.60%
Lancaster, PA 3 1.79%
Boise, ID 2 1.19%
Charlottesville, VA 11 6.55%
Odgen, UT 1 0.60%
Naples, FL 9 5.36%
Billings, MT 3 1.79%
Minneapolis, MN 26 15.48%
Davenport, IA 1 0.60%
None 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times

Advertisements

Davenport, in and of itself probably isn't that dangerous. The really ratty part of the Quad Cities is in Moline and Rock Island (heck, pretty much the entire Illinois side)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why?
I give Chicago and Washington D.C. the pass because I have lived in both (and in Chicago's case, that is the only reason it gets a pass from me).

I give New York, Miami, and New Orleans the pass because I actually like them.

Otherwise yeah, I vastly prefer everywhere west of the big Mississippi River to east of it. It makes more sense for me, in terms of culture, history, architecture, everything in general (but ESPECIALLY the culture) I prefer the west to the east half of the country. The 5 eastern cities mentioned are more of the exception for me in the east, not the norm or rule, they are the only places I like in that half of the country.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-15-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Funny how you don't see the "dangerous cities" on the worst MSAs here. Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, Baltimore, etc. are all missing. Could that be because they aren't as dangerous as people make them out to be? Hmmm...
Well I'd imagine factoring in their entire MSA's vs just the city proper makes a pretty big difference.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well I'd imagine factoring in their entire MSA's vs just the city proper makes a pretty big difference.
I know, that's obvious enough to us. The common citizen doesn't bother to investigate that though, they just see these cities on Buzzfeed's latest "most dangerous places to live" lists and continue to spread their ignorance about rust belt cities that actually are much safer and nicer than popular perception makes them out to be.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:36 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
All of New England.
We are a pretty scary bunch.

Beacon Hill Halloween by Chris Devers, on Flickr

Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
I give Chicago and Washington D.C. the pass because I have lived in both (and in Chicago's case, that is the only reason it gets a pass from me).

I give New York, Miami, and New Orleans the pass because I actually like them.

Otherwise yeah, I vastly prefer everywhere west of the big Mississippi River to east of it. It makes more sense for me, in terms of culture, history, architecture, everything in general (but ESPECIALLY the culture) I prefer the west to the east half of the country. The 5 eastern cities mentioned are more of the exception for me in the east, not the norm or rule, they are the only places I like in that half of the country.
Technically New Orleans is located both east and west of the Mississippi.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why?
To Red Johns comment. Just curious but, How does Vermont terrify you? Are you afraid of maple syrup?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
To Red Johns comment. Just curious but, How does Vermont terrify you? Are you afraid of maple syrup?
One word:IGNORANT

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I don't like New England. I don't like New Englanders nor their culture. I personally don't have an issue with Boston or Cambridge even if they are New England but they are urban centers and people have a city-mindset (which is how I have been treated in them have been remarkably better than those little racist towns that surround them). Like I have mentioned before in the past, am always happy to visit Boston (but never would live there) but I don't like that it is surrounded by a sea of New England all around it. Whatever that culture is in those smalltowns, I hate it.

Some of the smalltowns near it as racist as eff places and they really really make me uncomfortable. On two separate occaisions I have been called things like "terrorist" and "sand n****r" in those podunk little towns. Funny thing is I am not even Arab, or Persian, or Middle-Eastern at all. I am Southeast Asian with zero trace of Middle-Eastern ancestry.

Racism is everywhere in the world, most probably, but New England is just the place that really gets on my nerves about it because it is the only place I have been in the country and have experienced nasty little racist remarks, weird looks, and have just felt troubled being there. New Englanders are also very noticeably hostile to people outside their area, very uncooperative, very unhelpful, honestly the customer service there is ridiculously awful. Worst in the country probably by my experience.

No thanks, keep the maple syrup.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-18-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 05:53 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
I don't like New England. I don't like New Englanders nor their culture. I personally don't have an issue with Boston or Cambridge even if they are New England but they are urban centers and people have a city-mindset (which is how I have been treated in them have been remarkably better than those little racist towns that surround them). Like I have mentioned before in the past, am always happy to visit Boston (but never would live there) but I don't like that it is surrounded by a sea of New England all around it. Whatever that culture is in those smalltowns, I hate it.

Some of the smalltowns near it as racist as eff places and they really really make me uncomfortable. On two separate occaisions I have been called things like "terrorist" and "sand n****r" in those podunk little towns. Funny thing is I am not even Arab, or Persian, or Middle-Eastern at all. I am Southeast Asian with zero trace of Middle-Eastern ancestry.

Racism is everywhere in the world, most probably, but New England is just the place that really gets on my nerves about it because it is the only place I have been in the country and have experienced nasty little racist remarks, weird looks, and have just felt troubled being there. New Englanders are also very noticeably hostile to people outside their area, very uncooperative, very unhelpful, honestly the customer service there is ridiculously awful. Worst in the country probably by my experience.

No thanks, keep the maple syrup.
There are other cities in and near Boston, as well as other parts of New England where I think you would be fine based upon your preference. Same with other Northeastern cities, as you may be surprised by what is in those cities. For instance, Syracuse has a legit SE Asian community on its North Side, which is ground zero for immigrants/refugees and has been for decades. Even small cities like Utica and Binghamton also have SE Asian communities as well. So, someone of your background isn't anything unusual in many cities in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City