Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NEXT HIPSTER CITY BY 2020 PREDICTION "CULINARY SCENE,URBAN DEVELOPMENT ,MUSIC,DOWNTOWN FOOT TRA
CHATTANOOGA TN 29 36.25%
BIRMINGHAM 18 22.50%
RALEIGH NC 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
please link to any article about NBA expansion to Birmingham that is "in the works".

LOL, Their are not any talks going on. This is even from 2011, where is Birmingham? Nowhere.

10 Potential Cities for NBA Relocation or Expansion | Bleacher Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I would say Raleigh. Birmingham is better than a lot of people think it is but it has a negative perception working against it. Raleigh is pretty well liked and it has a progressive, educated populace.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't get why people say this. The Jets would beat the Crimson Tide by 7-8 touchdowns.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition 15 View Post
Bigstick people can question it all day " what's a dome needed for"? But they in one article I posted mentioned that the dome will be built regardless no vote needed of residents. Ask Atlanta what a dome for them meant , they wanted to grow as does BHAM. BHAM is fighting to merge as at least competition in the southeast within entertainment. The food scene / music scene is BOOMING .
Don't be mistaken, a new football stadium won't make a succesful city. My home city doesn't really understand that either. Not to mention, there aren't exactly any NFL teams dying to move to Birmingham at the moment.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
A dome stadium? What for, exactly? What does Birmingham need a dome stadium for?
That question has been asked for at least 20 yrs.

Listen, is there a reason to be excited about what is going on in Birmingham? Sure. Downtown and some surrounding neighborhoods are starting to rebound with people moving in and new construction of more housing, retail, etc in progress. But what is going on here is also happening in many other places as well. What bothers me the most is that some people here seeing this little bit of progress and then claiming that this area is now on the level with places that have been growing non stop for the last 15-20 years.

Fact is that Birmingham is playing catch up and has a long way to go IF we want to be on the same level as cities that have now past us.

Economically this metro has been getting its ass handed to it when it comes to creating jobs, high paying jobs. Attracting new businesses and bring in those jobs would do much more for Birmingham than a dome stadium ever will.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 04-19-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't get why people say this. The Jets would beat the Crimson Tide by 7-8 touchdowns.
Blame sports media for those statements. Even though I would like the see how the 2009-2012 Bama teams would match up against the worst NFL teams of that same time span. I would be under no illusion though that Alabama would win those games.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree. I read the opposite: that the Crimson Tide would beat many NFL teams, which is mouth-droppingly naive.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
First of all I apologize. It is great to have enthusiasm for ones locale, but to boost it to heights not even attained by cities of even much higher caliber, gets annoying. What does Birmingham really have going on, a few apartments going up, no highrise development, none expected. I can easily see Chattanooga winning this contest it has some amazing restaurants a world class aquarium stunning landscape, and a coll mix of people.
WTF is a dome needed for, do you realize how much a state of the art dome would cost? Well over 1 billion, and it would have to be this size to attract. Birmingham does NOT have that kind of money whatsoever. It has a declining city population, uber poverty, no real influx of people. It has one main drag (280), that is turning in to a horrendous mess of traffic and chain restaurants. Although Highlands Grill is very good. Sorry to burst your bubble, but their ain't much really happening in Birmingham that other cities didn't do 10 years ago. Sans for getting the World Games, good for you on that one, they really had no choice to give it to Birmingham with the list of cities they chose from. It is trying to play catch up, and at a slow rate as well. Come to Atlanta if you want to see an area that is exploding beyond belief. Not saying Atlanta is all that, we have major problems as well, but what Atlanta has going on right now makes Birmingham and cities of Birmingham's size pale in all forms of fashion.
No professional team will come to Birmingham, unless Nashville, or Atlanta get flattened by a tornado, then even those chances are questionable. Enjoy your college teams, that is as close to professional that you are going to see or get in your lifetime. BTW Alabama could beat many NFL teams by themselves. Ask yourself this, if the NFL came to Birmingham, I guarantee you most of the players would not want to live in Birmingham, just not big enough......
That reads that Alabama could beat many NFL teams, does it not?

....Or, do you agree with me, Spade? I couldn't tell from your post.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:45 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That reads that Alabama could beat many NFL teams, does it not?

....Or, do you agree with me, Spade? I couldn't tell from your post.
Yeah I was agreeing with you the whole way. I was saying I don't agree when people say the best college team could beat the worst NFL team. Tampa Bay would stomp Alabama in the worst way.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition 15 View Post
Couldn't have said it better I expect all of this to happen. A dome stadium feels like an announcement away.
Before Birmingham goes down the "If you build it they will come" road they might wanna ask San Antonio how the Alamodome is working out for them. Building a stadium like that without a commitment in writing from an NFL or MLB franchise is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City