Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DOES DC HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH NYC OR ATLANTA
NYC 38 36.89%
ATLANTA 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
A guy from Philly telling me that I should be cleaning up my city..
Indeed. After the ass that Baltimore just made of itself in front of the entire world, you would think that city wouldn't have any posters left on C-D.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Indeed. After the ass that Baltimore just made of itself in front of the entire world, you would think that city wouldn't have any posters left on C-D.
You let me know when you find a poster on C-D that made that mess. Again, you're from Philly what's your excuse?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Anyways, let's get back to discussing the three cities that are the topic of the thread: Atlanta, New York City and Washington, DC.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Anyways, let's get back to discussing the three cities in the thread: Atlanta, New York City and Washington, DC.
You're the reason it went off topic in the first place, genius. Now that I look at your earlier posts, you've already brought Baltimore up in this thread...

Old 04-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Speaking of Italians, though, there are more Italians on Long Island than there are in DC, Maryland and Georgia combined. So I guess that's something else that makes DC more similar to Atlanta than NY.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM

DC is very similar to Atlanta outside of thier respective city limits. It's good in a sense to have hidden gems all over your metro.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM

728 posts, read 974,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
DC is very similar to Atlanta outside of thier respective city limits. It's good in a sense to have hidden gems all over your metro.
For two different reasons though. DC has a smaller footprint(?) so it has to have Alexandria and Bethesda, naturally.

IIRC, Atlanta has more prosperous satellites to the north due to a mixture of zoning, xenophobia and gerrymandering...

I'm probably wrong but please let me know.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Or, how about next time, you actually give criteria like "metro area" or "city propers." Instead, you have half the people in this thread debating metro area and the other half debating city proper. Half the people are debating demographics and the other half are debating urban design. You need to be specific when you make threads so people know what you're comparing. Isn't that in the city-data.com instructions. People are all over the place in this thread because you didn't actually give any criteria.
We all know that cities are compared by the ENTIRE city - not the arbitrary city limits. That is an outdated idea that doesn't hold water in 2015 due to the arbitrary nature of city limits. People know what is being discussed here.

I never knew that DC posters were so touchy about their city...I think they do and this is just a couple of members with inferiority complexes. DC is a great city and is very unique in the U.S., so if it were my city I would have enough confidence in it to discuss ideas like this one without the aggressiveness and anger found in this thread. It's ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
For two different reasons though. DC has a smaller footprint(?) so it has to have Alexandria and Bethesda, naturally.

IIRC, Atlanta has more prosperous satellites to the north due to a mixture of zoning, xenophobia and gerrymandering...

I'm probably wrong but please let me know.
Yeah that's pretty much how some of those towns started but, today, they are very diverse and far from xenophobic. Probably the most diverse cities in the metro.

Alexandria used to be part of D.C. proper. It didn't start that way, obviously, but for a time, it was part of the district's "perfect square", per George Washington's design. I'm not sure how much it grew or prospered during those years but it was a success long before it was absorbed into D.C.

And I think it's safe to say, unless otherwise specified, that when people talk about cities on City-Data, they're referring to the metro area.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Wow, 7 pages already today. People are really serious about their city not being mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta. They are both great American cities with (apparently from all of the similarities mentioned here) a lot in common. I don't see the problem.

Another similarity: DC has the largest concentration of federal agencies in the U.S. Atlanta has the second largest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City