Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Its in the thread title
Koreatown 31 63.27%
Columbia Heights 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yes that video was very slick. I didn't see any good videos searching very quickly on Google.
That's what I figured. The New York Times beez like that. Die Hipster would have a field day with that article, but unfortunately, he's gone back underground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I wonder, does Koreatown have the highest transit mode share in the city? I would imagine it would have to be either K-Town or Westlake.
I believe it's Westlake. Certain tracts in Hollywood may have a higher transit share (or at least a lower non-auto share) than Koreatown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's what I figured. The New York Times beez like that. Die Hipster would have a field day with that article, but unfortunately, he's gone back underground.

I believe it's Westlake. Certain tracts in Hollywood may have a higher transit share (or at least a lower non-auto share) than Koreatown.
Well not only NY Times, but also NY Times writing about Los Angeles. Always comedy gold.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC retail is a very tricky entity. Height restrictions have caused DC retail prices per square foot to be astronomical which hurts retail. DC is just getting on the level of the most urban cities now. In the past, DC didn't have the density to support retail in many areas. The city lost close to 50% of its population by 2000. Retail is coming back like a flood now, but in a different way. Instead of boulevards, entire neighborhoods are building retail under high rise buildings all over the city.
I don't think that's it at all...at least not in the residential sections of the city.

Real estate prices in DC shot up faster than maybe anywhere else in the nation. In 2000, you could have purchased a burned out, bullet riddled, crackfiend-infested vacant commercial property for $150,000. In 2015, you may pay $2 million for the same property. A lot of property owners are holding out, waiting for the gentrification tide to reach its zenith. Consequently, a lot of storefronts sit vacant simply because the owners won't sell. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't sell either.

DC, for the most part, was a depressed city. It was depressed very much in the same way North Philadelphia, Baltimore or Camden are today. And without a steady influx of immigrants a la Koreatown or Flatbush, who was going to open businesses?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
CH used to have a reputation for being very rough. Now it's only a little rough with the occasional homicide and ATF raid.
A lot of crime for such a squeaky clean looking place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTZhWTjsTc

Old 04-23-2015, 01:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Koreatown isn't lacking in commercial corridors. It's roughly 3-4 miles from DTLA, and it is massive by neighborhood standards, 2.7 sq miles.

Koreatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

The difference with Koreatown and Columbia Heights is in the design of the commercial corridors. Columbia Heights has a classically urban design, whereas Koreatown's design is less pedestrian friendly and caters entirely too much to the automobile. The concentration of amenities is still very high however. Keep in mind that Koreatown has a lot of restaurants and nightlife, catering to visitors and daytime workers as well as locals. This is in contrast to neighborhoods like Historic South Central and Boyle Heights, which also border DTLA.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Koreatown isn't lacking in commercial corridors. It's roughly 3-4 miles from DTLA, and it is massive by neighborhood standards, 2.7 sq miles.
Are there individual neighborhoods within Koreatown? For example, Bed-Stuy is technically made up of four neighborhoods. Clinton Hill (where the Notorious B.I.G. was from) was a part of Bed-Stuy until it gentrified. It was somehow decided that it would no longer be part of it.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:

Koreatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

The difference with Koreatown is in the design of the commercial corridors. The pedestrian friendliness is much choppier and caters too much to the automobile, but the concentration of amenities is still very high. Keep in mind that Koreatown has a lot of restaurants and nightlife, catering to visitors and daytime workers, as well as locals. This is contrast to neighborhoods like Highland Park or Boyle Heights.
I think I might like Google's simple version of the neighborhood more. Because even though the areas to the north of 3rd and west of Western certainly have heavy Korean influence, I guess I think of them more being East Hollywood and Hancock Park, respectively.

Quote:
Are there individual neighborhoods within Koreatown? For example, Bed-Stuy is technically made up of four neighborhoods. Clinton Hill (where the Notorious B.I.G. was from) was a part of Bed-Stuy until it gentrified. It was somehow decided that it would no longer be part of it.
As far as I know, no. Though I think there is a bit of a difference between the neighborhood north of Wilshire (more like E. Hollywood) and south of Wilshire (more like Mid-City).

Last edited by munchitup; 04-23-2015 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
I don't think that's it at all...at least not in the residential sections of the city.

Real estate prices in DC shot up faster than maybe anywhere else in the nation. In 2000, you could have purchased a burned out, bullet riddled, crackfiend-infested vacant commercial property for $150,000. In 2015, you may pay $2 million for the same property. A lot of property owners are holding out, waiting for the gentrification tide to reach its zenith. Consequently, a lot of storefronts sit vacant simply because the owners won't sell. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't sell either.

DC, for the most part, was a depressed city. It was depressed very much in the same way North Philadelphia, Baltimore or Camden are today. And without a steady influx of immigrants a la Koreatown or Flatbush, who was going to open businesses?

Well something is driving it away:

Are Mom and Pop Shops Disappearing in D.C.? | District, Measured

Old 04-23-2015, 02:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
No, but there's a significant different between Koreatown proper and the areas surrounding it. Like munchitup, I've always associated the northern border with East Hollywood.

There aren't any areas within those 2.7 sq miles that have gentrified to the point where real estate agents want to disassociate themselves from it, although I've seen "near Hancock Park" used for a Koreatown address on occasion. It could easily be cut up into three distinct neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
No, but there's a significant different between Koreatown proper and the areas surrounding it. Like munchitup, I've always associated the northern border with East Hollywood.

There aren't any areas within those 2.7 sq miles that have gentrified to the point where real estate agents want to disassociate themselves from it, although I've seen "near Hancock Park" used for a Koreatown address on occasion. It could easily be cut up into three distinct neighborhoods.
Well put, and it's simply a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City