Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM

366 posts, read 404,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
New York City is EXTREMELY expensive, the basic necessities cost a lot more than other places. Is a higher cost of living worth living there? Yes. But it also has to be financially possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I gotta say Chicago. NY is just too big and crowded to actually live IN. Most people live outside and commute in.
This type of comparison is extremely ironic with Chicago because it's still also one of the most expensive, crowded, and biggest places in the country. We are not comparing NYC with some random Texas town ffs.

Lots of people will feel that same way about Chicago in terms of what's described above. It all depends on where you set your standards.

Most people live in the outskirts of the city limits btw. Every remotely decent sized city has this thing called a metro...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 AM

403 posts, read 597,740 times
Is $90,000 even considered a good paying job in New York, specifically Manhattan? Pardon my ignorance but NYC is just so crazy expensive, I feel like that wouldn't cut it. Especially if you want to do the whole nightlife scene.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Based on:

Affordability
That pretty much steers you toward Chicago by itself. All the rest of your criteria can be found in reasonable (Chicago) vs great (NYC) abundance, except starting up an ISP. That ship has sailed regardless of where you live.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 PM

90 posts, read 147,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That pretty much steers you toward Chicago by itself. All the rest of your criteria can be found in reasonable (Chicago) vs great (NYC) abundance, except starting up an ISP. That ship has sailed regardless of where you live.
I read the reason the US has such a small amount of ISPs nationwide is because of the extremely high cost of starting one. But someone could try Kickstarter. I don't know how existing companies were started, maybe the creator of the company won the lottery or something, it's not like a job pays that much. Most Americans are underpaid I think. My mom says she's underpaid for how hard she has to work. She doesn't even make $20,000 a year. She has a strict schedule, can't leave during the day (that's why I have a transpiration problem, don't say take a bus because there is no damn bus!) and she always says she's tired when she comes home. Weirdly, she says she still loves her job. She sure complains a lot for saying she loves her job, plus she couldn't even afford house rent by herself.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:15 PM

90 posts, read 147,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is it true that Chicago, Illinois has public transportation that's as good as NYC's subway system? The monthly pass is cheaper according to Numbeo. But is it as good as NYC and does it run 24/7 365 days a year? Or would a taxi be necessary at certain times? I've never gotten to travel out of state (except when I was too young too remember) and I've never lived outside of this county, yes COUNTY, not country. I've always lived in the USA. I've never even gotten to visit another country.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Is it true that Chicago, Illinois has public transportation that's as good as NYC's subway system? The monthly pass is cheaper according to Numbeo. But is it as good as NYC and does it run 24/7 365 days a year? Or would a taxi be necessary at certain times? I've never gotten to travel out of state (except when I was too young too remember) and I've never lived outside of this county, yes COUNTY, not country. I've always lived in the USA. I've never even gotten to visit another country.
The heavy rail system is not as extensive as NYC, but it is the 2nd best system in the US. Chicago also has a very good bus system. 2 of the train lines in Chicago run 24/7/365. The rest run 365 but there is generally 2 or 3 hours in the wee morning when they don't run.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
New York City is EXTREMELY expensive, the basic necessities cost a lot more than other places. Is a higher cost of living worth living there? Yes. But it also has to be financially possible.
Housing is more expensive in NYC than other cities. I do not agree that everything cost more in New York. Some things, like clothes, cost less. New York is a "hook-up" city. If you know where to get the "hook-up", you would be surprised how cheap some things can be (especially since you won't need a car)...but you will probably be living in a cramped, expensive place

Old 04-23-2015, 04:05 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Housing is more expensive in NYC than other cities. I do not agree that everything cost more in New York. Some things, like clothes, cost less. New York is a "hook-up" city. If you know where to get the "hook-up", you would be surprised how cheap some things can be (especially since you won't need a car)...but you will probably be living in a cramped, expensive place
Not every place in NYC is Manhattan, I wouldn't consider Brooklyn expensive if you're a renter, and the rest of the boroughs are even cheaper than Brooklyn.

But ofc transplants don't move to NYC to end up living in Queens or god forbid, Staten Island. They do it to live in Manhattan or at the very least Brooklyn, so many live beyond their means for a short time and then move back to wherever they came from and get to say they lived in NYC.

Personally, I would never rent anymore. I buy, and then when finished, I sell, usually to a big profit. That's a way of safeguarding your wealth even if you move around a lot. If you buy in high demand areas, like Manhattan, selling will never be a problem.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Not true. Why do outsiders always say this about NYC? Is it to rationalize living in Bumblefunk, Arkansas or something?

The only thing more expensive in NYC is real estate. Everything else costs the same as everywhere else in the U.S. You really think an apple or blue jeans or a bike or a shovel have varying prices based on locality? It's all the same currency. Home Depot or Macys or Target don't vary their prices by location.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
The heavy rail system is not as extensive as NYC, but it is the 2nd best system in the US. Chicago also has a very good bus system. 2 of the train lines in Chicago run 24/7/365. The rest run 365 but there is generally 2 or 3 hours in the wee morning when they don't run.
Chicago does not have the second best system in the U.S. That would be DC.

Chicago has a top five transit system in the U.S., but it doesn't matter. The difference in transit quality between #1 and #2 is bigger than the difference in transit quality between #2 and #100.

It would be like arguing over the second biggest gambling center in the U.S. after Vegas, or the second biggest financial center after NYC, or the second biggest tech center after Silicon Valley, or the second most important Catholic city after Rome, or the second most important French city after Paris. Does it really matter? #2 is closer to #20 than #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City