Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM

275 posts, read 416,262 times

Advertisements

Surprised NYC isn't leading in the poll more.

NYC is by far a better place to have fun when you're young, even if it is more expensive.

Chicago might be a better place to raise a family, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 AM

90 posts, read 147,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post

NYC is by far a better place to have fun when you're young, even if it is more expensive.

Do you think that living real frugal in NYC is worth it? I never said it'd have to be Manhattan. But some part of NYC near the subway (transit, NOT the restaurant, I'm sure most people know that though).

I would rather live in a small studio apartment in a big city than a big house in a rural area/small town, cause that's boring as ****. And there's few jobs, barely any, if any, jobs that pay high.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
Do you think that living real frugal in NYC is worth it? I never said it'd have to be Manhattan. But some part of NYC near the subway (transit, NOT the restaurant, I'm sure most people know that though).

I would rather live in a small studio apartment in a big city than a big house in a rural area/small town, cause that's boring as ****. And there's few jobs, barely any, if any, jobs that pay high.
I think New York is great for two kinds of people:

1. Recent college graduates
2. People with a lot of money

It's preferable that both conditions are met, but either one will do.

After living in a dorm for four years, you probably won't mind living in a small place with 2 or 3 other people. Like college, you'll be walking everywhere and there will always be plenty of things to do and tons of people to meet. Plus, New York is a great place to start a career, perhaps the best in the country. There are a lot of jobs.

It's not that hard to live frugally in New York. You can easily get a room in a 3-bedroom apartment in some neighborhoods in Upper Manhattan for under $1000/month. Queens is pretty good. The Bronx is even cheaper. You have to go pretty far out to find cheap housing in Brooklyn now, but it can be done. I'd also recommend checking out Jersey City, which is actually very close to Manhattan via PATH.

Studios are expensive, but I'm sure you can find a studio for around $1500 in many neighborhoods.

Get a bike for shorter trips, so you don't have to always rely on the subway.

The part of Manhattan that everyone knows (from Battery Park to roughly 96th Street) is pretty overrated. The same could be said for many of the trendy parts of Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Bushwick, etc.).

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I think New York is great for two kinds of people:

1. Recent college graduates
2. People with a lot of money

It's preferable that both conditions are met, but either one will do.

After living in a dorm for four years, you probably won't mind living in a small place with 2 or 3 other people. Like college, you'll be walking everywhere and there will always be plenty of things to do and tons of people to meet. Plus, New York is a great place to start a career, perhaps the best in the country. There are a lot of jobs.

It's not that hard to live frugally in New York. You can easily get a room in a 3-bedroom apartment in some neighborhoods in Upper Manhattan for under $1000/month. Queens is pretty good. The Bronx is even cheaper. You have to go pretty far out to find cheap housing in Brooklyn now, but it can be done. I'd also recommend checking out Jersey City, which is actually very close to Manhattan via PATH.

Studios are expensive, but I'm sure you can find a studio for around $1500 in many neighborhoods.

Get a bike for shorter trips, so you don't have to always rely on the subway.

The part of Manhattan that everyone knows (from Battery Park to roughly 96th Street) is pretty overrated. The same could be said for many of the trendy parts of Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Bushwick, etc.).
Could someone who didn't go to college and doesn't have a lot of money move there and grow?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Could someone who didn't go to college and doesn't have a lot of money move there and grow?
I think you need a college degree to have a good career anywhere, unless you are a highly proficient programmer or are highly skilled in some type of useful trade.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:

This is C-D. Logic has no place here. Fan-boys will rep their city no matter what.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:02 PM

34 posts, read 62,813 times
Quote:
Based on:

Affordability

Fun for young adults ages 20-25

Plenty of single straight women ages 20-25

Great public transportation

Good paying jobs (more than $90,000 a year)

Good city to start a business of being an Internet Service Provider (I'd try to get the funds through Kickstarter, since it cost millions of dollars to start, that's a goal though)

I'll never live in a rural area by choice, it's lonely, depressing, and less jobs if any are available. And the Internet? The best available is HughesNet! It's slow, limited data, and overpriced! Mifi is even more expensive since you have to pay by the gb. Also, I hate the lifestyle, so much wasted land, just miles of grass and no stores/businesses, not even houses, no fast food, no convenience stores, not even gas stations!

I'd rather live in a small studio apartment in a big city than a big house out in the country.

Affordability: Chicago by far

For young adults: Tie

For single women: Ny by far

Public transportation: Ny

Good paying jobs: ny

For business: ny

For me, I dont want to live in a rat infested dirty overcrowded city living in n a tiny apartment

Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM

34 posts, read 62,813 times
Quote:
Based on:

Affordability

Fun for young adults ages 20-25

Plenty of single straight women ages 20-25

Great public transportation

Good paying jobs (more than $90,000 a year)

Good city to start a business of being an Internet Service Provider (I'd try to get the funds through Kickstarter, since it cost millions of dollars to start, that's a goal though)

I'll never live in a rural area by choice, it's lonely, depressing, and less jobs if any are available. And the Internet? The best available is HughesNet! It's slow, limited data, and overpriced! Mifi is even more expensive since you have to pay by the gb. Also, I hate the lifestyle, so much wasted land, just miles of grass and no stores/businesses, not even houses, no fast food, no convenience stores, not even gas stations!

I'd rather live in a small studio apartment in a big city than a big house out in the country.

Definitely Chicagp fpr affordability, the rest maybe ny

Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Are women in NYC really masculine? I like FEMININE women.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:06 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
In the case of NY vs. Chi, you get what you pay for. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City