Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scottsdale or Austin (for less traffic, better nightlife)
Scottsdale, AZ 21 48.84%
Austin, TX 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM

430 posts, read 834,920 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I may hire my first employees in the next half-year for a tech firm I am working on. Currently, I live in New York City but I've crossed that off my list for a permanent "headquarters" location for a number of reasons.

My question, for those who have been to both (and NOT considering the political slants of each place) which would you rather live in if you were a 30 year old tech worker and why? I am particularly interested in the night life of each location, not for me but for my employees. Which is a place that will keep employees active and never bored? I've read that Scottsdale is the "South Beach of the Desert" and we all know that Austin is very much "hipster central" these days.

Another specific concern is traffic. If I were to locate the business near Scottsdale Airport or in Central/North Scottsdale, or any of the usual upscale techie sports in Austin, which city has the worse traffic today? I really hate traffic, and even intend to keep office hours that aren't at rush hour to avoid it. I've heard that Austin is getting worse and worse and worse with their traffic, but that Phoenix has always been bad (but does that include Scottsdale?).

I'm aware that there are more tech workers in Austin than Scottsdale by a country mile, but I don't foresee that it will be a problem to attract the right people to either Austin or Scottsdale.

I'm also aware that Austin is very progressive, whereas Scottsdale is very conservative. I myself am a centrist who generally votes for moderates if I can. It doesn't particularly bother me to live among wildly liberal people or even wildly conservative people as long as they aren't overtly religious nuts.

Taxes seem to largely even out. Arizona has an income tax and Texas doesn't, but Texas has higher property taxes than Arizona. Utilities are cheap (and half the price of NYC) in both states.

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Austin has better nightlife, but Scottsdale is an overall better city if you ask me. Austin's traffic is, far and away, MUCH worse than Scottsdale's. But do us a favor... if you move here, do your part to conserve water so we can all enjoy the desert for as long as we can. ;-)

Old 04-22-2015, 01:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,577 times
Screw Austin than IMO, Scottsdales traffic is awful enough. That surprises me that Austin has more traffic issues since it doesn't sit in a metro area of almost 4 million people

Old 04-22-2015, 02:50 PM

591 posts, read 819,869 times
I love Scottsdale nightlife. And it's a huge plus having Tempe next door as well.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
if you move here, do your part to conserve water so we can all enjoy the desert for as long as we can. ;-)
Definitely will, BIG CATS! I was worried about the water issue too. Obviously Scottsdale is in a desert, and Austin has had bad droughts for several years.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM

41 posts, read 65,336 times
This isn't even a compression- yeah Austin has bad traffic during rush hour but in terms of overall city wise and night life wise Austin wins by an absolute landslide

Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM

I found this breakdown by day of traffic in every metro. It looks like on the worst days, 7.1 minutes get added to an Austin commute for traffic, and 2.3 minutes in Phoenix. That's an extra 24% of your driving time tacked on for congestion in Austin, and 8% in Phoenix. Austin is just as bad as here in New York City! Surprising. So the traffic issue is settled, Phoenix has around 1/3rd of the congestion of Austin despite being a bigger metro.

But, it seems like the general consensus here is that Austin is better for nightlife than Scottsdale. Is that the case?

What are some things to do in Austin they don't have in Scottsdale, and what are some things in Scottsdale they don't have in Austin? And here's a third criterion, which is better for outdoorsy activities?

And a fourth, which feels hotter in the summer?

I like dry heat, like a dry sauna, so in my mind I am leaning toward Scottsdale. Yet I'm still very open to Austin.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,577 times
On a typical day depending on where my jobsite is, traffic adds a half hour to an hour both ways. I think your Scottsdale info is extremely off. Scottsdale is one of my least favorite areas to try to commute through.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
My gf's family is from Austin, Austin is a really laid back city that has a lot of hipsters, govt workers and college kids but its laid back in general, all the time I visited Scottsdale it seems pretty superficial and upscale not as bad as Miami Beach. Tempe where Arizona St is more a party locate but its mostly drunk and rowdy college kids so take your pick. I personally like Austin better for fun and nightlife, traffic is bad in both cities.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
On a typical day depending on where my jobsite is, traffic adds a half hour to an hour both ways. I think your Scottsdale info is extremely off. Scottsdale is one of my least favorite areas to try to commute through.
How far are you commuting? That was actually data for the entire Phoenix metro that looked pretty non-congested, so does Scottsdale have the worst traffic in the metro then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City