Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 42 32.06%
Chicago, Illinois 52 39.69%
New York City, New York 37 28.24%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 02:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Chicago just seems more normal; NYC is expensive, crowded, and not all that attractive with type "A" aggressive drivers and people who think paying $50 for parking and $80 for lunch in Chinatown with a friend is normal; LA, although more laid back, never seems all that American, and is the land of the haves and have nots, with a huge homeless population and traffic woes. it is just easier to live in Chicago, and that is why it is scoring so well here.
$80 for lunch in Chinatown? That's not normal, unless you're looking at the fanciest places. Why would you pay for parking anyway? Most aren't driving. New York City may not win any looks contest, but it does have any interesting streetscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 03:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is true, but it largely sets the tone for both regions. The wealthy obviously have a disparate impact upon an area relative to the middle class and poor.
More influence, not sure if enough to set the tone. Most people in any of those areas aren't interacting with the very wealthy or entertainment industry.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
$80 for lunch in Chinatown? That's not normal, unless you're looking at the fanciest places. Why would you pay for parking anyway? Most aren't driving. New York City may not win any looks contest, but it does have any interesting streetscape.
Chinatown in Manhattan is dirt cheap. It's usually much cheaper than Chinese food out in some random suburb in Middle America.

I mean, how do you get cheaper than 5 dumplings for $1? That's the going rate for the dumpling take-out places. Makes Burger King look expensive.

And no one drives to Chinatown. I would guess that 90%+ of visitors come by other means.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
The entertainment industry? What a weird way of judging what is the best place to live. Chicago has great options in numerous neighborhoods that are safe, with a wide array of housing a tons of young students and young families. I have lived in both LA and Chicago; Chicago is a lot more interesting to me, and a "Hollywood" crowd, which is miniscule and that you almost never see, is completely unimportant. Chicago just seems more normal; NYC is expensive, crowded, and not all that attractive with type "A" aggressive drivers and people who think paying $50 for parking and $80 for lunch in Chinatown with a friend is normal; LA, although more laid back, never seems all that American, and is the land of the haves and have nots, with a huge homeless population and traffic woes. it is just easier to live in Chicago, and that is why it is scoring so well here.
I won't deny LA is sorely lacking a middle class, but Chicago is even more the land of "haves and have nots" - point out the city's appalling crime rate and the first thing a Chicagoan will do is counter that it is relegated to the south side. Again, Los Angeles has these same problems with dangerous areas to the south and east sides and a relatively more safe north and west side - but the situation is not nearly as bad, the bad parts of LA are so much safer than the bad parts of Chicago.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
More influence, not sure if enough to set the tone. Most people in any of those areas aren't interacting with the very wealthy or entertainment industry.
Eh you are dealing with another poster that is obsessed with the rich.

This same poster tried to convince others that LA and NYC have the same COL because in order to live an opulent lifestyle and live in an exclusive neighborhood, you are going to be spending a ton of money in both.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chinatown in Manhattan is dirt cheap. It's usually much cheaper than Chinese food out in some random suburb in Middle America.
Yea, you can often find good food rather cheaply in NYC, especially compared to less populated areas.

Quote:
And no one drives to Chinatown. I would guess that 90%+ of visitors come by other means.
I've actually driven to Chinatown [and got free parking!], but that's obviously not usual.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Default To reply to NOLAs remark

I guess I wasn't clear. $50 is standard parking rate with tax in midtown and many areas of Manhattan if your not lucky enough to find street parking. If you don't have a car, more power to you, since the aggravation is lessened by 80%. The $80 was for two (lunch with a friend) and is exactly what I spent in Chinatown. And NO ONE compared Chicago with Rockford or any town in middle America. The great thing about Chicago vs. NYC and to a lesser extent LA is that you can actually enjoy living there due to affordability in a large city that is beautiful. I am not saying NYC or LA are not great cities, but the living in Chicago is waaaay easier.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I won't deny LA is sorely lacking a middle class, but Chicago is even more the land of "haves and have nots" - point out the city's appalling crime rate and the first thing a Chicagoan will do is counter that it is relegated to the south side. Again, Los Angeles has these same problems with dangerous areas to the south and east sides and a relatively more safe north and west side - but the situation is not nearly as bad, the bad parts of LA are so much safer than the bad parts of Chicago.
I'd guess at the metro level, Los Angeles has greater inequality. The city of Chicago might be more socially segregated than the other two.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:23 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Really? I think most big cities in the US fit that mold, but Chicago has far more affordable areas on the North, Nothwest sides and SW sides than LA or NYC. As for the crime rate, they really are relegated to a few neighborhoods on the south and west sides, unfortunately. People can actually buy a $250,000 condo with 2 bedrooms in a decent neighborhood there; try doing that in LA or NYC. Not only is the city easier, but by a longshot the metro area, which has every option imaginable as far as income.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Really? I think most big cities in the US fit that mold, but Chicago has far more affordable areas on the North, Nothwest sides and SW sides than LA or NYC. As for the crime rate, they really are relegated to a few neighborhoods on the south and west sides, unfortunately. People can actually buy a $250,000 condo with 2 bedrooms in a decent neighborhood there; try doing that in LA or NYC. Not only is the city easier, but by a longshot the metro area, which has every option imaginable as far as income.
True, even in South LA the homes are more expensive than that. No denying Chicago wins for COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City