Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 42 32.06%
Chicago, Illinois 52 39.69%
New York City, New York 37 28.24%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
True, even in South LA the homes are more expensive than that. No denying Chicago wins for COL.
Yeah COL does suck here. I just consider it our "we don't have a winter tax".

But if I was going to move somewhere based on COL alone, I'd skip right over Chicago and go to Detroit. Scoop up a 4 or 5 bedroom for the cost of my studio loft in DTLA and be part of the renaissance that's beginning to take root in Detroit's downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:06 PM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC and LA both have tons of people working in the entertainment industry, and both have a celebrity culture. They also both have massive Jewish, Chinese and Korean populations. Both also have tons of global expats, living in LA or NYC usually for some work reason. So there's at least some similarity.
No they don't. They both have some people working in those industries, and with different focuses. Bear in mind also that the majority of jobs in entertainment are technical or behind-the-scenes: employment for regular Joes.

Jewish populations?

New York's over over a quarter of its total. LA's is 17% of its total. Chicago's is 10% of its total. An equal distance between all three. Or LA closer to Chi if we're being pedantic.

'Tons' of 'global' expats?

No. Manhattan (and only Manhattan) has far, far more of a 'global' culture than either of the other two. It's so far removed that the other two don't register. And even its count of 'global' expats is tiny. There simply aren't that many 'global' expats to go around.

LA imports a small number of Hollywood types, but almost all of them are from the US thanks to stringent visa requirements.

Now if you're talking about immigrants, then yes, both LA and NY have more. But those immigrants are from different parts of the world and are largely working class. In fact, LA's immigrants are mostly latino... just like Chicago's immigrants. When it comes to Chinese populations, LA's is proportionally smaller than Chicago's.

Quote:
Certainly the posh parts of LA (West LA and the like) have a very similar population to the posh parts of NYC (Tribeca, UWS and the like). The "Hollywood" crowd is largely a bicoastal crowd, and bicoastal almost always means LA and then NYC/Hamptons.
There are so few of these people as to be statistically insignificant. What LA does have is a lot of people trying to get into the business. But that puts it no closer to NYC than it does to Chicago.

So let's be generous. The experience of a high-flying type in LA will be much closer to that of a high-flying type in NYC. No question.

A regular person will experience three utterly disjoint cases.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:13 PM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Yeah COL does suck here. I just consider it our "we don't have a winter tax".

But if I was going to move somewhere based on COL alone, I'd skip right over Chicago and go to Detroit. Scoop up a 4 or 5 bedroom for the cost of my studio loft in DTLA and be part of the renaissance that's beginning to take root in Detroit's downtown.
I hear that. There's stuff happening in Detroit right now. A lot of opportunity for someone creative with work ethic and a bit of entrepreneurial spirit.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
No they don't.
Yes, they do. NYC and LA are #1 and #2 in terms of Jews, Chinese, Koreans, global expats, and obviously the entertainment/Hollywood/celebrity cultures.

Seriously, people will argue ANYTHING on C-D. Now this dude is actually arguing with the Census Bureau.

And only on C-D will someone argue that Hollywood isn't in LA. Apparently the celebrities all moved to Muncie, IN.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 PM

34 posts, read 62,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelimits View Post
That's EXACTLY what I am saying yet people still don't get it! The level of ignorance here is astounding.

The only things that make Chicago and NYC similar are their SIZE. That's ALL I am saying. Did I say Chicago was New York? Excuse me, I didn't. I QUOTE myself:

"NYC is it's own and is not on a level Chicago or LA are operating on. No other city in America quite matches the "feel" of New York. That's what I said in my original post."

I merely said that they are similar in terms of being BIG CITIES with LOTS OF BUILDINGS. I am not going to continue to regurgitate the same things people are going against me for saying! It's like "I'll disagree with you because you have the same opinion as me". That makes no sense.

They are different cities. I have been to all three more than five times each. Opinions are opinions, nobody's opinions are fact. I am allowed to make a comparison as that is what the OP is ASKING for. Am I saying it's right and forcing it on people? No. I'm just telling the OP my personal experiences!

That's it! The rest you can decide for yourself!

I hear you
People just can't accept other peoples opinions . and if a nyer hears somebody comparing Chicago and New York, he will probably jump in and tell everyone that Chicago ain't on new Yorks level . I understand you were just saying both are big cities with big buildings , nothing more. But yet new yorkers wanna get on their high hoarse and pretend that no city comes close. No

Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Yes, they do. NYC and LA are #1 and #2 in terms of Jews, Chinese, Koreans, global expats, and obviously the entertainment/Hollywood/celebrity cultures.

Seriously, people will argue ANYTHING on C-D. Now this dude is actually arguing with the Census Bureau.

And only on C-D will someone argue that Hollywood isn't in LA. Apparently the celebrities all moved to Muncie, IN.
But celebrity culture? The way you talk about LA now and in the past you would think you see tons of these folks on every corner with ET reporters and TMZ people all over the region. Please stop. Celebrity culture? No.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 AM

282 posts, read 350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The entertainment industry? What a weird way of judging what is the best place to live. Chicago has great options in numerous neighborhoods that are safe, with a wide array of housing a tons of young students and young families. I have lived in both LA and Chicago; Chicago is a lot more interesting to me, and a "Hollywood" crowd, which is miniscule and that you almost never see, is completely unimportant. Chicago just seems more normal; NYC is expensive, crowded, and not all that attractive with type "A" aggressive drivers and people who think paying $50 for parking and $80 for lunch in Chinatown with a friend is normal; LA, although more laid back, never seems all that American, and is the land of the haves and have nots, with a huge homeless population and traffic woes. it is just easier to live in Chicago, and that is why it is scoring so well here.
Chicago is scoring well (and I voted for it), because the thread lists affordability as the first criteria. You'd have to be a complete homer to vote for New York or Los Angeles in a thread that asks us to weigh affordability. Chicago is affordable and New York is the farthest thing from affordable. Los Angeles is somewhere in the middle.

Putting affordability aside, Chicago is completely inferior. They're not even on the same class level and I don't think there is anything Chicago has that can compare to New York. Honestly, I personally would still pick New York even if I only earned $75k per year. I would learn to make it work.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:

You don't really meet all that many Jews in SoCal outside of the Valley, the Westside, and Central/South OC.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
I know there is some over the top arguing here about cost of living, but ultimately, as someone who has lived in all three cities, Chicago come out on top in this department. LA would be next, then New York.

New York - I paid $1300 for a rathole three bedroom 1 bathroom in Lower Manhattan (far from a highly desirable area). Claustrophobic bathroom, even smaller kitchen (if you'd call it that), and it was very dirty.

LA - pay $1000 for a gigantic room in a two BR with two parking spaces, air conditioning, and a dishwasher.
Dishwashers in New York are a luxury I tell ya!!!

Chicago - Paid $750 for a two bedroom in Lakeview with a gorgeous kitchen, bathroom, giant living room, but semi small rooms (but much bigger than in New York). I had the most excess spending money in Chicago and NEVER had any concerns about paying bills or overspending.

New York is my favorite city, and it will always be the best place I lived. I had the most fun there and it's the best city out of these three. I'm from the East Coast and it will always be my home. Chicago and LA lack the character New York has. But Chicago had the highest quality of life by sheer numbers for me.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 PM

34 posts, read 62,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
No they don't. They both have some people working in those industries, and with different focuses. Bear in mind also that the majority of jobs in entertainment are technical or behind-the-scenes: employment for regular Joes.

Jewish populations?

New York's over over a quarter of its total. LA's is 17% of its total. Chicago's is 10% of its total. An equal distance between all three. Or LA closer to Chi if we're being pedantic.

'Tons' of 'global' expats?

No. Manhattan (and only Manhattan) has far, far more of a 'global' culture than either of the other two. It's so far removed that the other two don't register. And even its count of 'global' expats is tiny. There simply aren't that many 'global' expats to go around.

LA imports a small number of Hollywood types, but almost all of them are from the US thanks to stringent visa requirements.

Now if you're talking about immigrants, then yes, both LA and NY have more. But those immigrants are from different parts of the world and are largely working class. In fact, LA's immigrants are mostly latino... just like Chicago's immigrants. When it comes to Chinese populations, LA's is proportionally smaller than Chicago's.

There are so few of these people as to be statistically insignificant. What LA does have is a lot of people trying to get into the business. But that puts it no closer to NYC than it does to Chicago.

So let's be generous. The experience of a high-flying type in LA will be much closer to that of a high-flying type in NYC. No question.

A regular person will experience three utterly disjoint cases.

Wow these NY boosters..... If nyc has a higher Chinese and Jewish population, that makes sense cause the population in city proper is higher . let's look at percentages. Not just the fact that NY has more. Let's look at what percent of the population is that race.. Look L.A. is the most diverse city in the world accordin to Forbes ... Oh and by the way, L.A. is the entertainment capital of the world not NY . so top NY boosting and pretending that NY is the ent. Cap. Cause its L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City