Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 42 32.06%
Chicago, Illinois 52 39.69%
New York City, New York 37 28.24%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 PM

366 posts, read 404,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizilicious View Post
I hear you
People just can't accept other peoples opinions . and if a nyer hears somebody comparing Chicago and New York, he will probably jump in and tell everyone that Chicago ain't on new Yorks level . I understand you were just saying both are big cities with big buildings , nothing more. But yet new yorkers wanna get on their high hoarse and pretend that no city comes close. No
If it was Chicago that was being compared to a lesser city like Seattle or Miami like that, plenty of Chicago posters would have the exact same attitude. So it's pretty hypocritical to call out New York posters out for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizilicious View Post
Wow these NY boosters..... If nyc has a higher Chinese and Jewish population, that makes sense cause the population in city proper is higher . let's look at percentages. Not just the fact that NY has more. Let's look at what percent of the population is that race.. Look L.A. is the most diverse city in the world accordin to Forbes ... Oh and by the way, L.A. is the entertainment capital of the world not NY . so top NY boosting and pretending that NY is the ent. Cap. Cause its L.A.
I'm not sure where all this anti-NYC envy comes from but it's starting to look pathetic now. That "Forbes" study is a joke and I have called it out before. It does a very selective measure of diversity. If you want to post the link instead of bad English for a change, I'll show you exactly what's wrong with it.

LA being the "entertainment capital" is just a more desirable sounding way of saying it's home to the most film studios. Because having the studios of Paramount in my city makes my quality of life so much better lol.

It's not entertainment of capital of the world by any stretch of the imagination still. For the US, you can make a case for it I suppose. But entertainment industry is more than just movies. There is certainly enough of the entertainment industry in NYC to at least rival LA. Personally, it seems like a lot more of the popular or well known TV shows are set and filmed in NYC than LA these days. I don't have any stats or anything to prove this, but that's just what it feels like to me.

Anything to do with the entertainment industry is a relatively small part of both cities though. Anybody who is not totally clueless knows that you don't walk into a typical street in LA and see actresses and directors everywhere.

Last edited by KaneKane; 04-28-2015 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
If it was Chicago that was being compared to a lesser city like Seattle or Miami like that, plenty of Chicago posters would have the exact same attitude. So it's pretty hypocritical to call out New York posters out for that.

I'm not sure where all this anti-NYC envy comes from but it's starting to look pathetic now. That "Forbes" study is a joke and I have called it out before. It does a very selective measure of diversity. If you want to post the link instead of bad English for a change, I'll show you exactly what's wrong with it.

LA being the "entertainment capital" is just a more desirable sounding way of saying it's home to the most film studios. Because having the studios of Paramount in my city makes my quality of life so much better lol.

It's not entertainment of capital of the world by any stretch of the imagination still. For the US, you can make a case for it I suppose. But entertainment industry is more than just movies. There is certainly enough of the entertainment industry in NYC to at least rival LA. Personally, it seems a lot more of the popular or well known TV shows are set and filmed in NYC than LA these days. I don't have any stats or anything to prove this, but that's just what it feels like to me.
LA and NYC both have a huge entertainment industry, that is true. But the LA region grabs that title for more than just film production. Television production as well as music production is probably similar in both cities, but the film industry definitely puts LA on top.

Hell, the big six major studios are all in LA, and account for 80-85 percent of the entire country's box office revenue.

Also, the setting and filming of programs is only one slice of the pie when it comes to the whole production process.

But I agree with you that it has little to nothing to do with quality of life. In fact, it might reduce it, since filming requires the shutting down of roads or portions of roads and creating traffic.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
LA and NYC both have a huge entertainment industry, that is true. But the LA region grabs that title for more than just film production. Television production as well as music production is probably similar in both cities, but the film industry definitely puts LA on top.

Hell, the big six major studios are all in LA, and account for 80-85 percent of the entire country's box office revenue.

Also, the setting and filming of programs is only one slice of the pie when it comes to the whole production process.

But I agree with you that it has little to nothing to do with quality of life. In fact, it might reduce it, since filming requires the shutting down of roads or portions of roads and creating traffic.
Yeah I know. I'm well aware that a lot of the films set in other places still use LA studios.

Was just making a point that there is no lack of NYC in terms of what the public sees on screen.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:

It's not entertainment of capital of the world by any stretch of the imagination still. For the US, you can make a case for it I suppose. But entertainment industry is more than just movies. There is certainly enough of the entertainment industry in NYC to at least rival LA. Personally, it seems like a lot more of the popular or well known TV shows are set and filmed in NYC than LA these days. I don't have any stats or anything to prove this, but that's just what it feels like to me.

Anything to do with the entertainment industry is a relatively small part of both cities though. Anybody who is not totally clueless knows that you don't walk into a typical street in LA and see actresses and directors everywhere.
So now you go on to lessen LA too? You do know.... you prove the point that to some? It is just NYC has it all.....

Old 04-28-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
So now you go on to lessen LA too? You do know.... you prove the point that to some? It is just NYC has it all.....
I have heard that you have a medical condition or something but please do a better job of making yourself clear. It's extremely hard to understand your posts.

Every major city in the world "has it all" in some sense, it just matters to what extent they have it.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
I have heard that you have a medical condition or something but please do a better job of making yourself clear. It's extremely hard to understand your posts.

Every major city in the world "has it all" in some sense of the word. It just matters to what quantity they have it.
Thanks for not refuting my post. It stands as intended.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Thanks for not refuting my post. It stands as intended.
It would be easier to refute your posts if people could fathom what exactly is it that you meant or how you come to your conclusions.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:

Yeah you are going to need to provide proof because I am almost certain this is entirely perception. Don't see a lot of LA-based shows filmed in NYC, but how many NYC/East Coast-based shows are filmed here in LA? Mad Men, How I Met Your Mother, Always Sunny (Philly), etc. I can't think of how many times I watch a TV show and see one of those ubiquitous orange Metro buses rolling through, or

I think honestly almost every show has at least a few scenes shot in LA. One that didn't, the Walking Dead, is making an LA based spin off!

Quote:
LA used to own the comedy space, with virtually every pilot filming here. Just two years ago, it housed 100% of the broadcast comedy pilots. The percentage dropped to 89% last year and is at 85% (39 out of 46) this season. New York made a big move in the arena in 2013 after seven years of no major broadcast comedy pilot presence there. A whopping five broadcast half-hour pilots were filmed in the city last year, including straight-to-series The Michael J. Fox Show. Proving that that wasn’t a fluke, New York matched its comedy haul this year with another five pilots, including NBC’s straight-to-series Tooken. Like last year, all five are single-camera.

Meanwhile, LA’s drama tally went from 12 to an all-time low five this year, pushing the city to No. 2 behind New York and tied with Vancouver, which slipped from last year’s seven. LA’s total does not include CBS’ summer drama series Extant, which also films here. Two episodes of Los Angeles-based series, CBS’ CSI and NCIS, serve as backdoor pilots for potential new series. One of them, the CSI offshoot, will be filmed in LA if picked up to series.
I will say that Louie is a great show produced and filmed in NYC.

I don't think there is a huge migration of filming to NYC, more of a emphasis on shooting in the actual setting of the show (ABQ - Breaking Bad, ATL - Walking Dead).
Quote:
Well actually it does. It means that even when you go to cheesy restaurants like Michelli's, the wanna-be actors can sing. And there are tens of thousands of aspiring comedians, meaning the stand-up/sketch/improv in LA is only really matched by NYC (Chicago is no slouch though). It means when you watch a commercial or TV show, you see streets you recognize and landmarks you have visited. It means that there is a huge film culture here, with screening happening all across the city, as well as an great tradition of outdoor screenings. We have the opulent historic architecture across the city that at one time housed the offices and homes of Hollywood's elite, it means there are hundreds of thousands of entertainment-related jobs (even legal jobs like my wife's end up delving into some entertainment-related business) from set designers and catering to truck driving and publicist work - and I could go on.

I don't know, I think being the entertainment capital of the world certainly improves quality of life.

I don't really see much anti-NYC jealousy on here, just a whole bunch of NYC posters (most of which don't even live in the city) getting their panties in a bunch whenever someone dares to compare their crown jewel to the rest of the lowly turds that are other US cities. San Francisco/Bay Area is the other city that is like this.

Last edited by munchitup; 04-29-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
You know, when it comes to finding dates, as long as you don't have the personality of a door knob, you'll get a date. Even here in LA, I see this way too often: really really hot girls with scruffy looking guys that look like they haven't taken a shower in 3 days.

Or just Tinder a date. That's what I used to do. I wasn't looking for love though.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 AM

282 posts, read 350,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post

Los Angeles is certainly where a greatest % of movies are filmed, but those studios are owned by New York.

There are only 6 Major Film Production Companies in the USA and 5 of them are headquartered in New York City (The parents companies), and 1 is headquartered in Los Angeles.

New York City:
- Time Warner (The Film Subsidiary being Warner Brothers Pictures)
- News Corporation (The Film Subsidiary being 20th Century Fox)
- Viacom (The Film Subsidiary being Paramount Pictures)
- General Electric/Vivendi (The Film Subsidiary being Universal Studios)
- Sony Corporation of America (The Film Subsidiary being Columbia Pictures)

Los Angeles:
- The Walt Disney Company (The Film Subsidiary being Disney Pictures)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City