Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your personal choice to live in for the long-term?
Chicago 90 40.18%
Boston 60 26.79%
Philadelphia 74 33.04%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think you’re wrong. Because I’ve also lived in Upstate NY where I’ve met people from Upstate who have never been to NYC, or Boston or Philly despite them being 4-5 hours away.

Beyond about 2hrs it’s really not a big deal what’s out there. You’re spending 97% of your time within that radius. (Honestly it’s probably like 90% of your time within 25 miles of your home).

Perhaps the average person might travel a bit more than in my experience but people do live largely pretty close to their homes. What is in Boston or Philly or Chicago is like 10x more important than what’s 3-6 hrs. away from those cities.
Disagree with you. It's not about your percentage of time within a certain radius, it's about the options within a close geographic proximity to varied topography, entertainment, sightseeing, recreational sports, professional sports, dining for the "long-term" . . . not just when you are raising children but are an empty nester. So, I might do family camping in the mountains but later in life as an empty nester, I might want to spend more time going to NYC to see broadway shows. I enjoy staying in the know on what's going on in NYC (2 hrs), Atlantic City (1 hr), Baltimore (2 hrs) and DC (4 hours) and know I can get there if something appeals to me rather easily and quickly. So even if it's only 20% of my time, I value having these ready options. Another consideration is healthcare. I have a rare health condition and I have Penn, Johns Hopkins and NYC hospitals at my disposal -- all within a day's trip.

I lived in a very nice midwest city (not chicago) but after seven years was feeling claustrophobic. I thought Chicago was lovely when I visited but don't know it well enough to rank it for the long term.

I rank Boston very high on the natural topography but I find the crowds and the traffic something that discourages me. The traffic to and congestion at the Cape and Acadia National Park is unreal in the summer. I've grown less tolerant of wasting time in traffic.

I live in the Philadelphia area and much has already been posted about it's appeal. It has been a good fit for all stages of my life. Considered relocating to Boston but think Philadelphia is a better deal overall.

Last edited by Maddie104; 02-25-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 02:21 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Given those destination it’s sound like you level only talking about old or older white people who are native to Madsachusetts-not necessarily Boston. Not really a representative sample.

A typical Bostonian is 30/31 and probably a well traveled young professional orPOC who isn’t going to the cape or NH before NYC. Nearly half are immigrants or children of immigrants. Another huge portion are people who moved here from elsewhere, especially from states to the south. al of those people visit home/family.

Older and more settled/suburban people probably travel to these cities less. Because families, age, already been there, ability to travel to more exotic locations, wanting peace and quite, many reasons.. I’ve never-nor do most people I know-willingly take trips to Maine NH the cape. Some people go to the cape/vineyard every now and then as you said but they also make trips to other cities..

I’ve been visiting Trenton NJ, Philly, NYC, DC and such since I was 6 months old. I don’t think most people are even aware of the Connecticut River being a thing. Not crossing it till your 11 seems highly insular.

Even growing up I had classmates who were from Morristown NJ, La Jolla CA, Philadelphia, Brooklyn NY, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Minnesota ..and they traveled there and many other places. Many kids I meet in Boston were born in or have family in Florida, and New York City. Even at my high school a kid pulled out mid year to move back to Brooklyn with his father. Another moved back to Waterbury CT. Another to Montclair NJ. another to Greenwich CT.
Frankly, for all that Boston feels like the world's largest college town, that "typical Bostonian" strikes me as typical only in a certain geographic territory and socioeconomic stratum, or maybe it reflects changes brought about by gentrification in old white-ethnic redoubts like Southie. I sure wouldn't have found the people you describe in Dorchester or Mattapan when I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sure but you’re dismissing 70% of the metro area and 50% of the city.

(Probably more considering a lot of people in deep Poverty barely leave their neighborhood)

My entire American family lives east of 495/90 interchange but that’s not unusual.
Limiting to young childless people and excluding families really neglected the long term part of the OP. Sure maybe from 25-33 you’ll travel a good amount but once you have 2 or 3 kids your world shrinks. Maybe one of you only get 2 weeks vacation . That alone severely limits travel Opportunities. Take out Christmas Eve or snow days for the kids and for a few years you probably have like 6 days elective vacation.
Also: from what I remember of the "wall of phrases" at "Where's Boston?", a multimedia introduction to the city aimed at tourists - it ran from the year of the Bicentennial until sometime in the 1980s, IIRC - even the Brahmins had a very insular view of the world beyond New England. One of the phrases on that wall: "Why should I travel when I'm already here?"

Then there was the joke about a Boston matron who finally broke down and accepted an invitation to visit relatives who lived in Iowa. When she got there, they excitedly asked her about her trip, figuring she would have much to say about the new sights she saw along the way. "What did you see?" they asked. "How did you come here?"

"Via Dedham," was her answer to the last question.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This is one of the easiest questions on CD. Chicago by a long shot.
I also like that you can live urban, suburban, or even semi-rural. The CTA is effective. And, it’s still fairly car friendly (I’m too much of a car partisan to want to give them up). So, Chicago is in a lot of ways my ideal large city.
Yup. There is really a lot to love. For any mid-westerner (and middle of the country Canadian) it's even more of a cultural oasis.
The only thing i can't stand about Chicago is the weather.
My God does summer end with a thud.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:30 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Yup. The only thing i can't stand about Chicago is the weather.
My God does summer end with a thud.
Yeah, but from where I stand, the weather in all three is highly sub-optimal, so it’s about like a match on a fire.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:34 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Yeah, but from where I stand, the weather in all three is highly sub-optimal, so it’s about like a match on a fire.
That may be so, but there are still key differences in that regard. Even though this winter is shaping up to be a major departure from the usual cold/snow up in the Northeast/East Coast (a whole other topic unto itself), Philadelphia is definitely the most "balanced" weather-wise of the three, with earlier springs and later falls, in particular, compared to both Boston and Chicago.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:37 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
If you're like most Americans and consider winter an affront to your senses, then there is a difference between Philadelphia and the other two.

Philly happens to lie on the "warm" side of the jet stream for much of the winter, making winters there not as cold as those in the other two cities.

Also less snowy. We've had one decent snowstorm to our name so far this winter, plus a couple of dustings that were gone almost as soon as the snow stopped falling.

Shoot, we've had temps in the 60s both last month and this one. Yesterday was downright balmy.

Now, we still have a season where it gets cold and snow falls, so if you can't stand even a little of that, then we're still off your list. But if you don't mind a little winter in season, then that's what you will get here now.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Frankly, for all that Boston feels like the world's largest college town, that "typical Bostonian" strikes me as typical only in a certain geographic territory and socioeconomic stratum, or maybe it reflects changes brought about by gentrification in old white-ethnic redoubts like Southie. I sure wouldn't have found the people you describe in Dorchester or Mattapan when I lived there.

Also: from what I remember of the "wall of phrases" at "Where's Boston?", a multimedia introduction to the city aimed at tourists - it ran from the year of the Bicentennial until sometime in the 1980s, IIRC - even the Brahmins had a very insular view of the world beyond New England. One of the phrases on that wall: "Why should I travel when I'm already here?"

Then there was the joke about a Boston matron who finally broke down and accepted an invitation to visit relatives who lived in Iowa. When she got there, they excitedly asked her about her trip, figuring she would have much to say about the new sights she saw along the way. "What did you see?" they asked. "How did you come here?"

"Via Dedham," was her answer to the last question.
I dunno as a local you never feel like it’s a college town. Even when I was college aged I guess if your introduction to and relationship with the city is through academia and school it could feel like that. The history of Boston and it’s customs aren’t Through it involving college students really.. Students are just one subsection of the city. You don’t really bump into them much East f Huntington Ave or south of Melnea cass. Aside from Mission Hill....Not a ton of reasons for locals to be up by BU/BC/Harvard Square

Old 02-25-2020, 04:15 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
As someone who lives in Boston, you abolutely do not feel the collegiateness anymore than another city. You definitely see more college flags (ie, Suffolk, Emerson, BU, Tufts, Harvard, Northeastern, MIT, Simmons, etc) than say, New York City... but you dont realllyy feel it as much as you would think.

Id say you feel you are surrounded by more of an intellectual crowd than frat bro college town.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 02-25-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I have only lived in Boston - passed thru the others. Nice.
I was able to escape Boston after 3 years. First year was full of discovery and wonder.
How exciting, it was Boston!!!!
Then, reality set in.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:30 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If you're like most Americans and consider winter an affront to your senses, then there is a difference between Philadelphia and the other two.

Philly happens to lie on the "warm" side of the jet stream for much of the winter, making winters there not as cold as those in the other two cities.

Also less snowy. We've had one decent snowstorm to our name so far this winter, plus a couple of dustings that were gone almost as soon as the snow stopped falling.

Shoot, we've had temps in the 60s both last month and this one. Yesterday was downright balmy.

Now, we still have a season where it gets cold and snow falls, so if you can't stand even a little of that, then we're still off your list. But if you don't mind a little winter in season, then that's what you will get here now.
I can appreciate that. An you’re right, it certainly adds some appeal to Philly, but not enough. Chicago isn’t just my fav of these three, it’s one of my favorite places anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City