Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your personal choice to live in for the long-term?
Chicago 90 40.18%
Boston 60 26.79%
Philadelphia 74 33.04%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Frankly, for all that Boston feels like the world's largest college town, that "typical Bostonian" strikes me as typical only in a certain geographic territory and socioeconomic stratum, or maybe it reflects changes brought about by gentrification in old white-ethnic redoubts like Southie. I sure wouldn't have found the people you describe in Dorchester or Mattapan when I lived there.
Not to be rude, but didn’t you live there like 30 years ago?

Unless it was in the last 10 or 15 years, your experience may be outdated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 05:38 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
If you're like most Americans and consider winter an affront to your senses, then there is a difference between Philadelphia and the other two.

Philly happens to lie on the "warm" side of the jet stream for much of the winter, making winters there not as cold as those in the other two cities.

Also less snowy. We've had one decent snowstorm to our name so far this winter, plus a couple of dustings that were gone almost as soon as the snow stopped falling.

Shoot, we've had temps in the 60s both last month and this one. Yesterday was downright balmy.

Now, we still have a season where it gets cold and snow falls, so if you can't stand even a little of that, then we're still off your list. But if you don't mind a little winter in season, then that's what you will get here now.
It’s been that warm in Boston this year, fwiw. I remember 2017 two days in February at 70-72 degrees. Philly is warmer but it’s not a huge difference.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
As someone who lives in Boston, you abolutely do not feel the collegiateness anymore than another city. You definitely see more college flags (ie, Suffolk, Emerson, BU, Tufts, Harvard, Northeastern, MIT, Simmons, etc) than say, New York City... but you dont realllyy feel it as much as you would think.

Id say you feel you are surrounded by more of an intellectual crowd than frat bro college town.
Right. The largest residential areas are pretty much 100% free of college students. You have to know college students and go to them to interact with them. There are no large centra campuses in residential areas, no sports teams of note, basically most of the large colleges are on the northwestern edge of the city or north and west of the city.

The closest a college has to being in the heart of the city is Northeastern. Growing up in The southern reaches of the city everyday concerns for me were with things like bus schedules, my favorite vendors at the train stations, crime, hiking trails and parks, access to shopping Malls south of the city. I never though about college students or their ongoings.

Wentworth Simmons Emerson and Suffolk are all small and have no/little campus, students don’t wear college gear so I can’t tell a student from a non student.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There are no large centra campuses in residential areas, no sports teams of note
Eh. Allston and Brighton are pretty overrun by college students. They’re the exception to the rule, though.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:53 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I can appreciate that. An you’re right, it certainly adds some appeal to Philly, but not enough. Chicago isn’t just my fav of these three, it’s one of my favorite places anywhere.
I feel that way about the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Eh. Allston and Brighton are pretty overrun by college students. They’re the exception to the rule, though.
Yea and they’re literally only connected to the city by the Massachusetts turnpike, they don’t even physically touch another neighborhood in the city.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Yea and they’re literally only connected to the city by the Massachusetts turnpike, they don’t even physically touch another neighborhood in the city.
True, but they’re still Boston.

Same can be said for Charlestown and East Boston.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:19 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Not to be rude, but didn’t you live there like 30 years ago?

Unless it was in the last 10 or 15 years, your experience may be outdated.
I didn't state so explicitly, but my "maybe it reflects changes brought about by gentrification..." comment was a nod in that direction.

I am aware, for instance, that Southie today is a far cry from the Southie I knew as a college student there - in fact, it's just about 180 degrees opposite its old self, in contrast to the similar Fishtown neighborhood here in Philadelphia. That neighborhood is also not the one I learned about when I moved here 36 years ago, but it's more like a 90-degree turn away rather than a 180; there are still lots of oldtime Fishtowners around.

Quote:
I think that the Boston University campus is technically part of Allston - it was in the 21st Ward, which encompassed all of Allston and Brighton, when I lived there. That thin strip of land between the Charles and the Mass. Pike is the physical connection between Allston and Brighton and the rest of the city, and it's taken up entirely by a university campus.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't state so explicitly, but my "maybe it reflects changes brought about by gentrification..." comment was a nod in that direction.

I am aware, for instance, that Southie today is a far cry from the Southie I knew as a college student there - in fact, it's just about 180 degrees opposite its old self, in contrast to the similar Fishtown neighborhood here in Philadelphia. That neighborhood is also not the one I learned about when I moved here 36 years ago, but it's more like a 90-degree turn away rather than a 180; there are still lots of oldtime Fishtowners around.

I think that the Boston University campus is technically part of Allston - it was in the 21st Ward, which encompassed all of Allston and Brighton, when I lived there. That thin strip of land between the Charles and the Mass. Pike is the physical connection between Allston and Brighton and the rest of the city, and it's taken up entirely by a university campus.
I don’t know, my knowledge of that area is legitimately that limited. Fenway is close to BC and that about as far as I travel in that direction. I understand BU is in Boston but it’s not really in a residential area-from what I understand it’s a lot of retail and ‘BU’. Much of Lower Allston as I have seen it, is entertainment and student tenements.

Point is,the college experience is just a slice of the city experience. It’s not really a factor in 80% of the city’s land area. The lack of sports, public universities, the elite nature of the institutions, small physical foot prints and traditionally oppositional city politics make it far from a college town. 700k people the overwhelmingly majority of whom are not in university. Ad to that it’s an “urban” city like area of ~1.3 million..East Boston Charlestown Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan Roslindale Hyde Park West Roxbury, where the vast majority of people (especially locals) live have little to no interactions with colleges...not to mention Chelsea everett revere Lynn Quincy Milton Dedham etc. many places adjacent to Boston with no university or student presence as well as 90% of the further out suburbs. (Dover Lincoln Sudbury Cohasset Stoughton Rowley Salisbury etc.)

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-26-2020 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
I don’t know, my knowledge of that area is legitimately that limited. Fenway is close to BC and that about as far as I travel in that direction. I understand BU is in Boston but it’s not really in a residential area-from what I understand it’s a lot of retail and ‘BU’. Much of Lower Allston as I have seen it, is entertainment and student tenements.

Point is,the college experience is just a slice of the city experience. It’s not really a factor in 80% of the city’s land area. The lack of sports, public universities, the elite nature of the institutions, small physical foot prints and traditionally oppositional city politics make it far from a college town. 700k people the overwhelmingly majority of whom are not in university. Ad to that it’s an “urban” city like area of ~1.3 million..East Boston Charlestown Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan Roslindale Hyde Park West Roxbury, where the vast majority of people (especially locals) live have little to no interactions with colleges...not to mention Chelsea everett revere Lynn Quincy Milton Dedham etc. many places adjacent to Boston with no university or student presence as well as 90% of the further out suburbs. (Dover Lincoln Sudbury Cohasset Stoughton Rowley Salisbury etc.)
Quote:

The BU campus and surrounds reminded me of University City, yet Philadelphia isn't referred to as a "college town." Would be interesting to compare:

https://www.universitycity.org/sites...mographics.pdf

Last edited by Maddie104; 02-26-2020 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City