Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your personal choice to live in for the long-term?
Chicago 90 40.18%
Boston 60 26.79%
Philadelphia 74 33.04%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 05:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I would like to have a family in the not to distant future so the school system is a big deal of where I would end up. Boston would be the only logical place. Philly schools are notoriously bad. People are pissed and our new governor ran on a platform of fixing the charter school/public school problem. To understand how big of a deal this is year, the last time a governor lost as an incumbent seeking reelection was in 1854.
I said this 5 years ago with the premise of just living in the city. If it was metro areas, Philadelphia easily continues to be the best choice. I would never want to live anywhere as cold as Mass or Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 05:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Hard choices, but for me Chicago>Boston>Philly.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:55 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I would choose Philly for the (least objectionable) weather, for the gardens, and proximity to Lewes and Cape Henlopen.

I would live in one of those little streets of row houses that are tucked in an alley.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:53 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philly. Mildest winters by a good margin. Location in the country's densest region is a perk too.

The density of the Philly area includes Baltimore, Camden, Trenton, Chester and Wilmington. No thanks-that is close to the ugliest stretch of density in the U.S. IMO.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
[/b]

The density of the Philly area includes Baltimore, Camden, Trenton, Chester and Wilmington. No thanks-that is close to the ugliest stretch of density in the U.S. IMO.
It’s fascinating how many of you name these places that are like a combined 50 sq miles that no one goes to justify your sweeping generalizations. Is Chicagoland defined by Gary and St. Louis? That’s what it’s like saying Baltimore and Camden.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
It’s fascinating how many of you name these places that are like a combined 50 sq miles that no one goes to justify your sweeping generalizations. Is Chicagoland defined by Gary and East St. Louis?
As the name indicates, East ST. LOUIS Is next to St. Louis...not Chicago.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:06 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Chicago!

Old 02-22-2020, 07:06 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
It’s fascinating how many of you name these places that are like a combined 50 sq miles that no one goes to justify your sweeping generalizations. Is Chicagoland defined by Gary and East St. Louis?
So true. There's nothing more desolate looking than the post-industrial Midwest, in my view. The wider streets, lower density, and empty feel are much more depressing than anything you'll find in/near Philly.

At least Baltimore, Wilmington, Trenton, and even Camden have actually desirable neighborhoods in or immediately adjacent to them.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As the name indicates, East ST. LOUIS Is next to St. Louis...not Chicago.
I actually meant St. Louis (not that it matters) in regards to him saying Baltimore. They are completely separate cities. It makes no sense.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
So true. There's nothing more desolate looking than the post-industrial Midwest, in my view. The wider streets, lower density, and empty feel are much more depressing than anything you'll find in/near Philly.

At least Baltimore, Wilmington, Trenton, and even Camden have actually desirable neighborhoods in or immediately adjacent to them.

I one time took a train from the loop in Chicago to south bend and I swear I saw a massive factory burning down outside this crappy little town. It was an interesting trip. I would never come on here and be like YEAH That must be what it is like to live in Chicagoland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City