Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one wins out of these two regions?
New York + Miami 92 63.01%
Los Angeles + Vegas 43 29.45%
Neither (explain) 11 7.53%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times

Advertisements

Not sure why a few people are acting as if nyc/miami is a huge ordeal that vegas/la is not. I'm 32 and have places in manhattan and miami beach. I leave work downtown at 4pm on a Friday, and I'm on my balcony in south beach by 9pm. Sometimes, I forget where my fiancé is staying because the two are so interchangeable.

The difference IMO is you can do vegas a handful of weekends per year. I like miami bc you can do as much or as little as you want. Feel like doing blow with a bunch of professional ladies until 8am? Sure. WAnt to stay low key, hang on the beach or some world class fishing? Can do that as well. I enjoy living in both nyc and miami. I'd enjoy living in LA but I can't leave vegas fast enough after three days.

I was thinking of moving to San Diego. Overall, I won't argue SD probably beats out miami. But I live right on biscayne bay in south beach for a relatively decent price. The views I have would run Into the multi multi millions of dollars in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Yes for a trade off of chilly nights (9 months of the year), cold water beaches, etc.
Those "chilly nights" are welcome and increasingly rare. Sometimes, I even get to wear pants. And on those occasions, I am grateful the local ocean temp helps prevent swamping of certain body parts so endemic to other regions. All these conditions are very favorable for those creatures who spend the majority of their lives in contact with air.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Those "chilly nights" are welcome and increasingly rare. Sometimes, I even get to wear pants. And on those occasions, I am grateful the local ocean temp helps prevent swamping of certain body parts so endemic to other regions. All these conditions are very favorable for those creatures who spend the majority of their lives in contact with air.
Just enjoy it, I much prefer to have a warm night I can spend outside. And an ocean I can actually use.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Just enjoy it, I much prefer to have a warm night I can spend outside. And an ocean I can actually use.
Cheers.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 PM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
I rather New York if you remove Miami and insert French Riviera.

(And this is coming for someone who was born and raised in LA).

But yes, Miami Beach is much better than Las Vegas. Even I will admit it. I am so over Vegas.

Last edited by UAE50; 04-30-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM

282 posts, read 350,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's the beauty of LA - - you don't need to spend winter in a more pleasant climate; it's already pleasant. Don't need to get away from oppressively humid summers either.

Las Vegas is only needed for gambling and 24 hour partying, and there's far more of that in LV than Miami.
I kind of agree, but I would much rather move around no matter the weather. Staying in one place year round is so boring and pretty rare of if 'money is no object'. Average billionaire worldwide has 5 homes I read. Growing up in LA, we used to rent a house in Hawaii for the summer and it was sublime.

My dream situation to be in NYC, LA, South of France and Paris.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
How many times have you travelled from NY for Miami just for a weekend?
I think Miami is a weekend getaway for a lot of travelers. It's not such a big production where you are taking off a Friday and a Monday because the travel is so taxing. I will usually leave on a Friday morning or Friday afternoon (after a half day) and then return on Sunday evening. I don't think South Beach requires much more time than that.

That said, you're right in that it's not a spur of the moment trip whereas Vegas can be exactly that for people living in SoCal.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
It would be NYC + Miami for the sake of this thread.

But I'd prefer NYC + L.A. in real life.

Vegas just doesn't beat out Miami in my book.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Vegas just doesn't beat out Miami in my book.
It does this weekend.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It does this weekend.
Well yes. Lol.

Also EDC Vegas in June. I haven't been to either festival yet but I'm planning to go to Ultra Music festival next year in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City