Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

That's definitely the most recent data from the government...next update will be this summer for 2014 data. There's really no excuses why Atlanta's market share dropped that much...hopefully it was an anomaly and it increases in the next update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's a Canadian survey, so obviously biased. No way Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are in the top 20 globally.

And what young person wants to live in Mexico City? You want to take an 80% pay cut and live in a city with insane traffic, routine kidnappings, and poisonous air? I actually enjoy visiting DF, but to live??
I live there and love it. The air quality is no worse than LA and getting better by the year. It's safer than many American cities.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I live there and love it. The air quality is no worse than LA and getting better by the year. It's safer than many American cities.
I don't know of any cities that have random kidnappings in America

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 PM

560 posts, read 667,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You may be right about the air quality but DF is more dangerous than pretty much any US city. Let's take murder for instance.

DF has a population of 8,851,080 people. While it's tough finding reliable data on homicides in DF, I did find this article:

Borderland Beat: There were 83,000 murders during the last six years

QUOTE from the article:

The Distrito Federal reported 4,308 homicides. 3,731 victims were men, 576 were women. The jurisdictions with the highest murder rates were Iztapalapa, with 1,013; Gustavo A. Madero, with 681, and Cuauhtemoc, with 398.

Those numbers are from 2012 and the population estimates I'm about to use are from 2010. So it's not perfect but close enough.

4,308 homicides out of a population of 8,851,080 people yields a per capita murder rate of 48.67 per 100,000 residents. I won't round up to 49.

So, that's 48 murders per 100,000 residents.

That is slightly higher than Detroit, according to the FBI:

These Are The Major U.S. Cities With The Highest Murder Rates, According To The FBI

QUOTE from the article:

In 2013, the Michigan city recorded 316 murders (which includes non-negligent manslaughter), or 45 per 100,000 people. That's 10 times the national average and the highest of all large U.S. cities. Detroit also notched 14,500 violent crimes, or 2,070 per 100,000 people.

I understand these numbers can fluctuate year-to-year and it's entirely possible that Mexico City's murder rate has dipped below 48 per 100,000. But, my point still stands. I compared D.F. - one of the safer regions of Mexico, btw - to the absolute deadliest city in the United States. And D.F., so far as murder is concerned, is even more dangerous.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think Civil War and the burning of Atlanta was still bigger.What else is there thats bigger for a city to have had war or the Olympics?
On an worldwide scale?

Undoubtedly the international event. Unless, like you said, that person is a history buff.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
On an worldwide scale?

Undoubtedly the international event. Unless, like you said, that person is a history buff.
Why do you have to act like that? Of course not on a worldwide scale...it was from a comment about the biggest thing to happen to Atlanta. Even if someone is a history buff the battle of and burning of Atlanta is small potatoes compared to the many wars and natural disasters that have annihilated cities across the globe...but it's pretty important in the history of Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 PM

346 posts, read 388,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Did he say that Atlanta has more hotel rooms than NYC? I can't find it if he did.

It was a response to this little gem: "Lastly to the person who thought Atlanta had more rooms or it was fairly close to NYC in this regard. . . . LOL. Wake up. It's not 1996. The Olympics are over buddy." Atlanta actually is fairly close to NYC in number of hotel rooms, but NYC has more.

The tone of some of the posts is what makes it seem like some people are "threatened" by any comparison between NYC and Atlanta. A civil discussion would make it seem less so.
The stress of NYC makes some people cranky.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:24 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Why do you have to act like that? Of course not on a worldwide scale...it was from a comment about the biggest thing to happen to Atlanta. Even if someone is a history buff the battle of and burning of Atlanta is small potatoes compared to the many wars and natural disasters that have annihilated cities across the globe...but it's pretty important in the history of Atlanta.
You seriously lack reading comprehension skills and every time you reply to something I post you prove that. You chime in and never seem to truly comprehend what I'm replying about, yet you question every thing.

On a worldwide scale the Olympics was the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta (more positive too!). It put it "on the map" it wasn't a war or a fire, especially in the modern era. That was my original point. It's still baffling to me that afonega1 would act as if "Atlanta" had the war and not the entire South. I'm sure the city and state played a HUGE role in the war but to act as if people associate Atlanta with that globally is laughable.

So getting back to the question:

Quote:
What else is there thats bigger for a city to have had war or the Olympics?
My answer and most likely many others would agree in this case, the Olympics. The (American) Civil War was an American War, apart of our American history. Why would that be more relevant to an aspiring Chinese or German Olympian/citizen watching the games?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Actually the history of the U.S.That was an important battle.It was the beginning of the end of the Civil War.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
You seriously lack reading comprehension skills and every time you reply to something I post you prove that. You chime in and never seem to truly comprehend what I'm replying about, yet you question every thing.

On a worldwide scale the Olympics was the biggest thing that happened for Atlanta (more positive too!). It put it "on the map" it wasn't a war or a fire, especially in the modern era. That was my original point. It's still baffling to me that afonega1 would act as if "Atlanta" had the war and not the entire South. I'm sure the city and state played a HUGE role in the war but to act as if people associate Atlanta with that globally is laughable.

So getting back to the question:

My answer and most likely many others would agree in this case, the Olympics. The (American) Civil War was an American War, apart of our American history. Why would that be more relevant to an aspiring Chinese or German Olympian/citizen watching the games?
I did not "act" like anything.Obviously you dont really understand Atlanta role in history to have made that comment.
The fact that people may or may not associate it with the Civil War is not relevant as it is a fact.Just because people do not know or remember is irrelevant.Many people dont know Atlanta had the Olympics until you mention it also.

What an unusual assumption that it would have to be an inspiring Olympian from China or Germany are the only people that would be interested in the role Atlanta had because of the Olympics.

What about a history buff?A person into hip hop?Or a Gone With The Wind fan?There are many things that people may find interesting that some cities would appeal to some more than others. Simply assinine to act like thats not the case.

I have met people from Denmark,Belgium,France etc that come here because they like hip hop artist from Atlanta.

I have also met people who come to Atlanta because of the its connection to Southern culture like Gone With The Wind.
Lately with younger people,I meet people coming for the different music festivals like Tomorrowworld and Shaky Knees Festivals.

via Frat Music Blog
http://fratmusic.com/blog/tomorrowworld-2014-preview/

As far as the war not only happening in the entir South,is a stupid comment because Atlanta is the ONLY AMerican city in the U.S to have been destroyed by war.This distinction makes it unique.If someone burns 10 houses down,You are only concerned with yours,not others as much.

The Battle of Atlanta was a very important event on a national scale that helped change the course of history.

The fall of Atlanta was especially noteworthy for its political ramifications. In the 1864 election, former Union general George B. McClellan, a Democrat, ran against President Lincoln, on a peace platform calling for a truce with the Confederacy. The capture of Atlanta and Hood's burning of military facilities as he evacuated, were extensively covered by Northern newspapers, significantly boosting Northern morale, and Lincoln was reelected by a large margin.
Battle of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure it was an American War but the world was watching because it was AMERICA.The American Civil war fascinates people.Maybe because you are in NYC you dont hear this but I do all the time

Last edited by afonega1; 05-07-2015 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City