Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So wait, if there are no reliable crime stats, how do you know crime is high?

Where do you people get this crap from? Hey, NOLA has the highest crime rate in the universe. A friend told me that you have to live in a plastic bubble there just to survive. True story. I've been raped, kidnapped and mugged 57 times in the last 24 hours here in MC, but it's not THAT bad.
Ok.You win.We made it all up.Mexcio City does not have its richest citizens living behind gates,walls and armed guards for fear of kidnapping and i guess we exaggerated the homeless and poverty rate population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM

[quote=jbcmh81;39596988]
Quote:

No, it doesn't. The numbers don't bear that out and I provided at least a few links that show the contrary. These are factually untrue statements.

"I don't understand why Atlanta is not ranked above a city I know nothing about!"

Most people work in jobs that aren't even officially registered with the government. Perhaps as high as 60%-80% of the population is self-employed in some fashion or works under the table. It's difficult, if not impossible, to actually measure the average income in the city based on that. I have no idea what the average income is here, and neither do you, so you can't make any honest claims about it. We do know that the official minimum wage is significantly lower than it is in the US, but almost no one works for that here. There are certainly a lot more government programs to assist the poor/homeless in Atlanta, no doubt, which is what makes the fact that a quarter of the population lives in poverty such a damning statistic. It should not be anywhere near that high.

Well, at least you finally admit some positives.

No one is ignoring the real problems. My argument is that you are making false statements as to the scale of them because you seem personally insulted at the suggestion that some people prefer MC over Atlanta.
Hardly the case but if that simplifies it enough so it makes it easier for you than accepting the truth that there are very good reasons many people would not prefer living in Mexico City then so be it.

The perception in every publication I can find mentions the homeless street children population and poverty.In some articles concerns about kidnappings among the wealthy.

Our own state department has advisories about being crime in Mexico.I have travelled all over the world so it takes little to scare me but lets not act like a problem does not exist more than it does in the US

Old 05-15-2015, 01:04 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok.You win.We made it all up.Mexcio City does not have its richest citizens living behind gates,walls and armed guards for fear of kidnapping and i guess we exaggerated the homeless and poverty rate population.
There are gated communities across the US. Are all those people worried about being kidnapped?

I work for a restaurant that occasionally caters parties in the very places you seem to be talking about. Outside of governmental institutions and politicians, I can't remember a single time there were armed guards, and these were in very rich neighborhoods in private homes. They did tend to have doormen, but not exactly the same thing.

The most enlightening thing you learn when you live outside of the US is just how godawful paranoid, fearful and xenophobic Americans really are. You get to hear all of the terrible things they think about where you have chosen to live and how they couldn't possibly ever live outside their comfortable 1st World blissful existence. Blah, you can have it.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
[quote=afonega1;39602070]
Quote:

Hardly the case but if that simplifies it enough so it makes it easier for you than accepting the truth that there are very good reasons many people would not prefer living in Mexico City then so be it.

The perception in every publication I can find mentions the homeless street children population and poverty.In some articles concerns about kidnappings among the wealthy.

Our own state department has advisories about being crime in Mexico.I have travelled all over the world so it takes little to scare me but lets not act like a problem does not exist more than it does in the US
I just like the irony of you telling me that I should accept the "truth" that you think I live in a s**thole based on the barest minimum of evidence, or none at all. Yeah, I'll pass, thanks.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
There are gated communities across the US. Are all those people worried about being kidnapped?

I work for a restaurant that occasionally caters parties in the very places you seem to be talking about. Outside of governmental institutions and politicians, I can't remember a single time there were armed guards, and these were in very rich neighborhoods in private homes. They did tend to have doormen, but not exactly the same thing.

The most enlightening thing you learn when you live outside of the US is just how godawful paranoid, fearful and xenophobic Americans really are. You get to hear all of the terrible things they think about where you have chosen to live and how they couldn't possibly ever live outside their comfortable 1st World blissful existence. Blah, you can have it.
Whatever dude Im sure I have lived in more countries than you so dont even try to give me that cap about Xenophobic Americans.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:30 PM

[quote=jbcmh81;39622429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

I just like the irony of you telling me that I should accept the "truth" that you think I live in a s**thole based on the barest minimum of evidence, or none at all. Yeah, I'll pass, thanks.
You really are dramatic.Never once said MC was a bad place.I said it has problems that concern people.Big difference.But go ahead live in your world where its all cake and ice cream.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
I've been checking this thread for days in hopes that we would have finally moved on from the Mexico City argument.

Looks like I'll have to wait longer. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City