Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs San Francisco
Los Angeles 53 51.96%
San Francisco 49 48.04%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Just to illustrate the difference in urbanity between NYC and everywhere else in North America-

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

There are 4.3 million people living in high densities in NYC (and this is not including the suburbs in NJ, where there are a couple hundred thousand people living at such density).

In contrast, there are around 70k people living in such density in SF.

So I was probably underestimating the difference. There are probably around 65 times as many people living in high density urban environments in the NYC area as compared to the SF area. The difference is so gigantic, that SF's relative level of urbanity and density compared to LA is essentially irrelevent.

If you're moving to SF, and NYC is in the mix, your move will almost certainly be for reasons that have zero to do with urbanity/density.

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
San Francisco...I prefer the cooler climate. It is also more beautiful in every way compared to LA.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:04 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Just to illustrate the difference in urbanity between NYC and everywhere else in North America-

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

There are 4.3 million people living in high densities in NYC (and this is not including the suburbs in NJ, where there are a couple hundred thousand people living at such density).

In contrast, there are around 70k people living in such density in SF.

So I was probably underestimating the difference. There are probably around 65 times as many people living in high density urban environments in the NYC area as compared to the SF area. The difference is so gigantic, that SF's relative level of urbanity and density compared to LA is essentially irrelevent.

If you're moving to SF, and NYC is in the mix, your move will almost certainly be for reasons that have zero to do with urbanity/density.
Well obviously one is not gonna move from NY to SF for better urbanity. But they might choose SF if they want better urbanity than LA, and better access to nature than NY.

Climate is also a factor here. SF is arguably the only mild weather city in the country with a great (or at least solid) urban core.

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
I don't know Los Angeles all that well so for the interim time period will go with San Francisco as the default answer since I know it pretty well and generally like the city for what it is. I also like the surrounding areas a lot too; Carmel Valley, Monterrey, Big Sur, Sausalito, Napa Valley, Sonoma, Santa Cruz beach, most of Marin, the Redwoods, a few hours north Joshua Tree and Mount Shasta, a few hours East there is Tahoe, the Wild West (in NV surrounding Carson City and Reno). The Bay Area suburbs are pretty nice all around too.

I know Los Angeles only through limited exposure, have liked what I have seen so far but haven't seen enough to formulate an opinion on the place yet.

Also, I live in Miami and San Francisco is a whole different type of city than Miami (the exact polar opposite in every single way possible), so I would imagine it would be a lot of fun to live in a place like that and take in a whole new culture and different way of life. It would be an experience to say the least.

That being said, I prefer San Diego to San Francisco Bay Area and prefer San Diego best in California. So this comparison is basically the edge to my second choice in California for the time being.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Well obviously one is not gonna move from NY to SF for better urbanity. But they might choose SF if they want better urbanity than LA, and better access to nature than NY.

Climate is also a factor here. SF is arguably the only mild weather city in the country with a great (or at least solid) urban core.
I truly wonder how many people who are planning to move look at density as the deciding factor...there are SO many more important things to consider. Why would it matter to someone how many people per square mile live in the area? The only place I've found that density is important is online.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:50 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I truly wonder how many people who are planning to move look at density as the deciding factor...there are SO many more important things to consider. Why would it matter to someone how many people per square mile live in the area? The only place I've found that density is important is online.
Agreed. And denser doesn't always mean better. Manhattan is 70k people psm. Does that mean that a city (or city center) with 100k psm (eg Hong Kong) will necessarily provide a better urban experience, or a city with 30k psm (eg Central London) necessarily a worse one? Even for urban purists, the point where you draw the line for the best balance of urbanity and livability is a matter of individual preference and priorities.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Tough choice.

If money was no object, I would have a house in Santa Monica (walkable and good public schools, soon to have Metro access) and a vacation condo in northeast SF so I can take advantage of the unique offerings of SF. I just think Southern California is a more interesting place to live permanently.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Agreed. And denser doesn't always mean better. Manhattan is 70k people psm. Does that mean that a city (or city center) with 100k psm (eg Hong Kong) will necessarily provide a better urban experience, or a city with 30k psm (eg Central London) necessarily a worse one? Even for urban purists, the point where you draw the line for the best balance of urbanity and livability is a matter of individual preference and priorities.
There really isn't much noticeable difference in the above scenarios...plus everyone has different feelings about living in density. Tokyo, NYC, and London, although great cities, just are not for everyone.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
San Francisco, by far.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
If money was no object, then I'd live in both, and have homes in NYC, CHI, MIA, and every single other city I can think of and go between all those homes.

Also, I'd own a whole lot of banks and invest in lots of business ventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City