Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 9,310 times

Advertisements

My family qualifies for an investor visa to migrate to the United States. We are a young couple with 2 little girls and one baby boy and come from a Lutheran Christian background. We no longer feel that our home country is a safe place to raise little girls, and I have always been envious to the strong value of speech freedom and religion in the United States. I have one colleague who lives in Northwest Indiana (Munster) and an American friend in Cranberry, PA so we would like to relocate where we at least know someone. We want supreme safety, a culture where religion is valued and good economic prospects. We will be opening a restaurant.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,113,945 times
I have lived in northwest Indiana my entire life and am quite familiar with Munster. There are countless restaurants in this area, and more are always welcome.

NW Indiana's population is quite diverse, though there are areas where racial and ethnic groups are rather segregated. Munster is one of the more upscale towns in this area, with lovely homes and fairly good schools. There are lots of churches from which to choose. Munster is also only a 40-minute drive from downtown Chicago.

You can visit the Northwest Indiana sub-forum of the Indiana forum and search the thread topics for more info about Munster. //www.city-data.com/forum/northwest-indiana/

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Munster, IN and Cranberry, PA are both suburbs of Chicago and Pittsburgh, respectively. They have different built environments, however. Munster is older and more established in terms of its development whereas Cranberry has really only "taken off" in the last 20 years or so as being a burgeoning community.

MUNSTER:

2013 Population Estimate of 23,270 (Slight Decline from 2010)
23.4% of the Population is Under Age 18
The community is 79.2% white, non-Hispanic, giving it a little (not a lot) of diversity.
94.2% of adults have at least a high school education.
40.6% of adults have at least a Bachelor's Degree.
Median Household Income is $72,583.
Median Home Value is $196,400.
6.6% of the Population Lives in Poverty.
The town is of medium-density by American standards at 3,118 people per square mile.

CRANBERRY:

2013 Population Estimate of 29,490 (Moderate Increase from 2010)
28.3% of the Population is Under Age 18
The community is 93.3% white, non-Hispanic, giving it nearly no diversity.
97.2% of adults have at least a high school education.
55.7% of adults have at least a Bachelor's Degree.
Median Household Income is $100,674
Median Home Value is $250,700.
3.0% of the Population Lives in Poverty
The town is very sprawling and low-density by American standards at 1,231 people per square mile.

So overall Cranberry is younger and wealthier (and much, much whiter). Cranberry is conservative politically by American standards (Republican) although Indiana tends to be more conservative overall as a state than Pennsylvania, which used to be moderate but is now liberal. You can't get much "safer" than Cranberry, unless you count the odds of getting into a car accident or being hit by a car since the town is structured 100% around the automobile as a typical newer American suburban area. The economy is very healthy in Cranberry and is doing well in Greater Pittsburgh overall. Since most of the restaurants in Cranberry are chains you may do well there with an independently-owned and -operated restaurant. Cranberry is becoming the "go-to" place in the region for wealthier educated white conservatives who want to avoid paying high taxes.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Off the top of my head (no research done)

More Lutherans in Indiana
Probably more people of Swedish background in Indiana. There certainly couldn't be fewer Swedes than there are in Pittsburgh!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM

4,540 posts, read 4,070,395 times
is it possible you could consider more of the rest of america? I would recommend a good burb inbetween Philly - Boston or California.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 PM

93,814 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Off the top of my head (no research done)

More Lutherans in Indiana
Probably more people of Swedish background in Indiana. There certainly couldn't be fewer Swedes than there are in Pittsburgh!
This offers insight into the Swedish percentages for both of these communities: Munster, IN Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Cranberry Area School District Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Old 05-08-2015, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
^^Thank you! I knew I had seen that link before, but I couldn't find it no matter how hard I looked. So let's take a look at what it says:

Munster-Swedish: 2.26%
Cranberry-Swedish: 1.9%
Not a large difference.

Munster-Lutheran: 2.61%
Cranberry-Lutheran: 5.64%
Cranberry wins!
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,207,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
My family qualifies for an investor visa to migrate to the United States. We are a young couple with 2 little girls and one baby boy and come from a Lutheran Christian background. We no longer feel that our home country is a safe place to raise little girls, and I have always been envious to the strong value of speech freedom and religion in the United States. I have one colleague who lives in Northwest Indiana (Munster) and an American friend in Cranberry, PA so we would like to relocate where we at least know someone. We want supreme safety, a culture where religion is valued and good economic prospects. We will be opening a restaurant.

Thank you.
So you come to America.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
So you come to America.
I am wondering where that person lives...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City